What Is The Secret To Getting Headshots?

55 replies to this topic

#21 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

Ignore the luck statements

You CAN deliberately score head shots

Practice in the training grounds, alot. Use a mech with twin ER Large Lasers next to each other, like my Raven 3L.

2 shots from those and down they go.

I'm currently grinding my way through the Headshot achievements and loving it. Its going to be a fun grind to the next achievement of 100 Headshots.

#22 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

Holy thread resurection batman.

I've noticed i've been giving more headshots lately. In the last couple of times i've played i've brought down a Nova prime with a spider 5k(c) and an Awesome with my YLW due to headshots amongst others. And both of those oponents were in far better nick than me.

Dunno whether it's chance but the bulk of my headshots i give come about when i'm really in the proverbial and out numbered or out gunned or both.

#23 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Generally, aim for the glass.

#24 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Shoot 'em in the head.

...what? Two pages of thread and nobody else has said it yet, have they?

#25 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

There's always the non-sporting way to get headshots.

1. Take a fast ecm mech on skirmish, and skirmish only
2. At the start of the match, see who is DC'd
3. Run around the edge of the map to their spawn, and don't get seen
4. Apply weapons to the DC'd mech in the head :ph34r:

5. Then flank and spot for your team since you left them out in the cold for the last 4 minutes, you deadbeat.

#26 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

View Postp00k, on 13 November 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

jenner: don't bother, just leg it, especially now with the "fall" damage bug

*cries quietly in the corner*

#27 Marauder IIC

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

I got only one headshot. I always aim for ct but got 7 headshots in the passt two weeks. Airstrike has a high chance to hit the head and kill insta.

#28 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

I just shoot them in the cockpit.

Really wish there was a blank map with every single chassis lined up so you could take a small laser and figure out where hit boxes were. It would make figuring it out a lot easier I can only pull off intentional head shots against a handful of mechs.

#29 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Be cool if we could do DFA head errr.... Stomps.

Fond memories of DFA in mw4

Somehow just killed a catapult by shooting it in the head from approx 300m with a solitary medium laser in my comando 3a, epic win or just luck? (His head only looked a bit yellow prior).

Edited by mad kat, 14 August 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#30 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Damn this thread is ancient! use a friend and figure out head hitboxes in a private match, then apply with PP 33+ damage weapons to ensure the 1 shot kill.

(18 armor + 15 internals =33 for all mechs)

Edited by DONTOR, 13 August 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#31 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Which Mech you think would be the best headshot hunter? You have to consider speed, agility, hardpoints convergence for proper pinpoint damage (this mean required weapons can hit the same tiny spot at a distance).

The options I see are:

2 x AC/20

4 x LPL or ERLL or LL
6 x MPL
7 x ML

4 x ERPPC or PPC

If I'm right, (ER)PPC and AC/20 should be the best options because they do a single hit while with lasers, we would need to hold them all on the tiny head hitbox for the duration of those. OTOH, 4 x PPC is a lot of heat, and both PPC and AC/20 use many slots meaning slower engines.

Any opinion?

P.S. I want to hunt headshots for a change.

Edited by Rhialto, 14 August 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#32 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Every time a mech shuts-down in front of me I will calmly aim for the head and alpha. If I don't get the headshot I still have a very easy kill when the fight starts back up. At worse he is now scared to death to look at me and any lasers he has he won't be able to hold them on target or I'll headshot him. Also if you miss a headshot you are still doing CT damge so there isn't really a down side, unless ofc he's core is open enough to finish with an easy ct shot.

I got pretty good at getting them when trying to get the 10 headshot achievement, since then I haven't been worried about them as much because 50 is a looong way off lol. I have 13 or 14 so far.

Another easy way is to use advance zoom with a gauss and ppc's. Turn your sens way down if you can on the fly with your mouse. Then you can pop mechs when they peak out. It only really takes a tiny bit more time to aim. I think the atlas is the easiest to headhost because it is slow and the cockpit doesn't have any extra glass that does not count as a headshot. Phracts are probably the hardest to hs imo. They have that huge cockpit and only one tiny section counts.

#33 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Hunchback 4p(c) should be the ultimate headshot machine if you have a good aim.

I tried using my quad ppc awesome 8q last night but i was getting far too hot on terra therma even aranging the four into two groups of chain fire plus theyve nerfed the ppc speed.

Edited by mad kat, 14 August 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#34 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

Don't bother to try.
Thanks to server autoritative hit registration and erratic pings the enemy mech may well be some meters right, left, front or behind the position you are seeing.
If this was a regular shooter you wouldn't even have a regular chance to hit ppl.

#35 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Are you going for achievment? otherwise, IMO, headshots are like anti-battletech as all get out. I mean, in the literature, headshot was used/written to show extreme(i mean extreme) skill, or also extreme brutality(also, again, EXTREME) it wasnt like random headshots all over the battlefield.

Personally, I avoid them as much as possible, and if I get one by accident, I still apologize in all chat about it. Getting your monolithic assault mech blown away in one shot at like 90% health is just a match ruined IMO for the unlucky sod. I know I dont like it, so I am sure others dont either, and I do not intend to pull that cheese on anybody as much as I can help it because I do not like ruining other's matches.

#36 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGawler, South Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

View Postmad kat, on 13 August 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Be cool if we could do DFA head errr.... Stomps.

Fond memories of DFA in mw4

Somehow just killed a catapult by shooting it in the head from approx 300m with a solitary medium laser in my comando 3a, epic win or just luck? (His head only looked a bit yellow prior).

Ammo explosion maybe?.... ;)

#37 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

3 days ago achievement was at 30%. This mean I had 3 headshots since stats reset and achievements introduction. I'm now at 80% so I scored 5 headshots in 3 days. :lol:

This is only to get the 10 headshots achievement so I think I will forget about actively trying the 100 headshots one. :P

Edited by Rhialto, 18 August 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#38 WiNNiep00h

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

i know this topic is more than 2 years old, but i wonder...did they change a lot in the game since then? Till now i played 300 hours MWO and i never made any headshot. since 20 hours i'm really trying a lot. i found a video on youtube, where somebody is using 6 large pulse laser and it seems to be so easy.

#39 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

If you want some easy headshots go for the MAD IIC's cockpit. I've gotten more headshot kills on the MAD IIc's then I have on any other mech chassis. That giant bulbous cockpit glass is very easy to hit. (It's almost too easy to hit. I'd complain, but the MAD IIC's are pretty OP in the current meta, so the easy cockpit kills are nice.)

#40 WiNNiep00h

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

today i got 2 headshots^^ after 310 hours playing suddlenly the first one...and just 2 hours later the second^^ so its possible

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users