What Not To Do With A Catapult Cplt-A1

20 replies to this topic

#1 RatMortar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

I decided to buy the A1 in order to try a different kind of missile boat. Instead of going for LRMS, I wanted to switch them out for SRMs and make it a close range brawler.

By upgrading to the Artemis system and fitting 6 SRM6s into the arms, I'd have equivalent firepower to the heaviest assault mechs and this turned out to be true when I tried a test run with it.

But major issues surfaced almost immediately.

Speed
Armaments
Heat
Ammunition

Pick 2.

If I carried that many SRMs, my heat would skyrocket with 2 volleys, making the number of pods effectively pointless. I'd also lack any kind of speed needed to keep the fight in close range. I could remedy it with an XL engine but since the endo-steel upgrade and Artemis upgrade (need both to free up tonnage) are so important, I'd run out of room to add heat sinks.

And don't even get me started on ammo. Not only do you blow through 400 shots, they cost a fortune to replace. I knew Artemis missiles cost more, but I didn't think it would be more than the repair cost of the mech itself!

Eventually, I had to give up the 6 SRM6 idea. I just don't think the Catapult has the weight to support so much firepower. It felt great fighting toe to toe against an Atlas and winning, but with so little other benefits, the build was a colossal failure.

So what about adding some LRMs? Well, the mech came standard with 2 LRM15s which I switched over with 2 SRM6s. This would help alleviate heat issues and I wouldn't have to chase down speedy mechs. If they ran, my LRMS with kill them, if they tried to close is, I would shred them.

But again, I was disappointed when the price of Artemis LRMs turned out to be EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE!

I understand that these are good weapons, but JESUS! I don't want to spend 80k on ammo after every match.

At this point, I've spent about 7mil in C-bills to make this mech and it's basically pointless to use. It costs too much to maintain, it's slow and my initial idea was even worse.

This is not a guide to making a badass Catapult. This is basically a guide to not waste your money. If you want a massive SRM arsenal, do what I probably should have done, wait for the Stalker to come out and buy the model with the most missile hardpoints.

Edited by RatMortar, 14 November 2012 - 06:54 AM.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

If you are "boating" (and I do not use that term derogitively) then Artemis is less useful to you. Having a alrge number of LRM launchers or a large number of SRM launchers (and lots of ammo!) makes Artemis very, very costly.

Artemis works wonders as part of a balanced loadout, such as the Cent 9D's stock loadout- A single Artemiv IV LRM10 provides a fantastic long-range punch to soften opponents and strip armor.

A Catapult with 6 Artemis SRM launchers runs through a lot of ammo, and Artemis ammo is too costly to make this viable. Try normal SRMs and you'll see a huge difference in the cost, and have more tonnage for heatsinks.

Also note that an XL engine or DHS (or both) will save you more tonnage than the Endosteel does, so if you have the C-bills to spare you may want to consider running XL and DHS instead of Endo.

#3 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

Turn off auto re-arm and go with the free automatic 75% reload?

#4 RatMortar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 14 November 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

I know about that, but isn't it a bug? Which I assume they'll correct soon?

#5 Joppsta

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 14 November 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

I was thinking this almost immediately.

#6 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

It's not a bug, it's a feature. They may change it in the future, although if they do I'll be dropping my LRM Cat in favor of something else. As it is now it costs me 60k to top off my 4 tons of Artemis LRM ammo. I prefer to just go in at 75% load and save the money.

#7 Major Dick

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

If I were you I'd do 4X streak SRM2s that way you can bash people at range and make easy work of lights and 2X SRM6 for close in punch power. You shouldn't have any problem carrying massive amounts of ammo or overheat. I'm thinking about building this mech.

Right now I have a cat with 4X SRM6s and 2X medium laser I have some minor overheat issues, but light people up. I hate taking on atlas's with this build because they eat up too much of my ammo.

#8 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I'd recommend 4x SSRM2 and 2x LRM15 actually.

Then keep your target between 180m and 270 metres, so you can use all of that firepower, at ranges for which AMS is only 75% effective and cover is impossible.

If they close in you still have SSRM2, if they run away you have LRM15.

It's actually a pretty good light Mech killer. And while you can't kill the enemy outright most of the time as you have no direct fire weapons, you have teammates that will aim for centre torso, so it works out.

Don't use Artemis. The price for its benefit is just not worth it.

#9 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostHayashi, on 14 November 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

Don't use Artemis. The price for its benefit is just not worth it.

Or if you do use Artemis, grab extra ammo tonnage so you can live off of the free reload. I currently have room for 4 tons, carry 3, and that's usually enough for me to last a match.

#10 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostRatMortar, on 14 November 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

My build, and I got to say it's the best build I ever used and the most effective one:
300 XL
Endo Steel
Max Armor expect 42 legs

4 ASRM6
2 SSRM
14 DHS

CASE in RT
7t ASRM Ammo (2 in legs)
2t SSRM Ammo (2 in legs)

You have no crit slots left, and half a ton free.

#11 PL Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Take off the Artemis. Those 6 tons are enough for a good engine, cooling and ammo to make you a proper killing machine.

#12 RatMortar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

So I did a few things, I switched out to DHS, changed by weapons to 4 SRM6s w/ Artemis and 2 SSRM2s and I've kept my 260 engine.

I'm only using 1 jump jet so when they fix that I may either have to abandon jump jets entirely, or change to an XL engine and make room for extra ammo and jump jets, but we'll cross that bridge once I get there.

This build is actually excellent. My streaks are enough to fight any light mech and when something bigger shows up I can couple them with my SRM6s for a massive amount of damage. I feel that adding an XL may reduce may brawling capabilities but jump jets are really helpful fr getting around the map.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it.

#13 PlagueChampion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Locationbehind you!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

today I have discovered that they nerved the A1 so much that the time between hitting the fire button and actually shooting the 6Xsrm6 is so long it is rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is just unplayable this way and I dont not think this solved the problem if there was one in the first place

Edited by PlagueChampion, 26 February 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#14 theGerf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostPlagueChampion, on 26 February 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

today I have discovered that they nerved the A1 so much that the time between hitting the fire button and actually shooting the 6Xsrm6 is so long it is rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is just unplayable this way and I dont not think this solved the problem if there was one in the first place

Open your missile bay doors, there, boss. ( / key)

Edited by theGerf, 26 February 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#15 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Why did you necro a 2.5 month thread... :)

With ECM in the game the Splatcat as it's now known is one of the best configurations for Catapults out there now.

Though Artemis in it is still a bad idea relative to getting more ammo.

Edited by Hayashi, 26 February 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#16 Eternal Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'll necro some more :lol:
Tought about getting rid of artemis, for more heatsinks, but meh, not that much help - besides artemis helps me tighten the "choke" like a shotgun so the spread isn't a barndoor wide. Heat is an issue. Ammo is an issue.
But when you can kill most things in two alphas and you hit and fade, use cover bla bla bla, it's quite workable in my opinion.
Keep the SRMS on a secondary button on chainfire for the lights (and when you're unsure of hitting so you don't waste ammo) and most will quickly run off screaming if they try some potshots.

Edited by Eternal Hunter, 16 March 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#17 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

I think it's very interesting to see this blast from the past. With al the changes the game has been through the biggest downsides of the splat cat have disappeared.

#18 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

I have never seen a 6SRM A1 run with Artemis.

View PostHayashi, on 26 February 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Why did you necro a 2.5 month thread... :wub:

Never saw the video that explains why some do this?

#19 NoahVD

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

What is dead may never die

#20 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Just ran a streakcat for 5 games. 5x top dmg. Lots of heavies running around with no ECM-Cover. Just equip "advanced sensor range 2" for the occasional ECM-light or DDC.

Good ol cheese.

Edited by Budor, 22 March 2013 - 06:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users