Dragon Drg-5N Loadouts?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Excelsias

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Throw them at me. I haven't found one I like yet. So discouraged by the options that I downgraded to a 220 standard engine, threw on 3 AC2s and 2 MLs, and now I sit back with the loltastic fun that affords. But it's not really a viable loadout. 58km/h on a dragon is sad.

Edited by Excelsias, 14 November 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#2 CM4PL4ST1K

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

I'm using:
1 gauss, 1 ac2
1 med, 1 small laser
DHH, endo steel, XL300

works well :D

#3 RealSteel1981

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEssen, NRW, Germany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

I use the following setup (at the moment, tryed a lot, and will keep on)

2 AC/2
1 machine gun
SRM 4 (SRM 6)
2 MLRs (1 LLRs and a Flamer)

Flamer and MachineGun are grouped up for meele distracton, not for damage.
Taking enemys view and hopfully their ability to navigate and fire at the same time.

Never used a XL engine, DHS, EndoSteel take too much space already.

With 2 DHS in engine all heat problems are almost history.

Edited by RealSteel1981, 14 November 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#4 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

XL300, GR+3 tons ammo, 2 LL, AMS, Endo Steel, and fill DHS's into the gaps. Very manageable heat and a good punch to 500m+. It's all pinpoint damage - so just aim center mass and you'll core stuff quickly.

#5 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostBanky, on 14 November 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

XL300, GR+3 tons ammo, 2 LL, AMS, Endo Steel, and fill DHS's into the gaps. Very manageable heat and a good punch to 500m+. It's all pinpoint damage - so just aim center mass and you'll core stuff quickly.

This loadout also works well on the DRG-1N, though optionally you can swap out a large laser for 2x SRM4 and 1 ton ammo for more close range punch.

#6 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 14 November 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

This loadout also works well on the DRG-1N, though optionally you can swap out a large laser for 2x SRM4 and 1 ton ammo for more close range punch.

Yup. You can also go with GR, 2ML/MPLs and rockets for both and it'll work well too. The primary reason I've gone the 2LL route though is for repair costs. I'm not one to try and run off 70% ammunition, and if you have to repair/rearm, I found that the SRM racks were absolutely killing my earnings. With a GR + energy-only build, you'll earn a bit more cash from game to game.

#7 DragonVerity

• Pip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

So how do I fit all this stuff? Is it a matter of me needing to upgrade more?? I still haven't unlocked DHS and I know that's an upgrade but atm I have very little firepower and I like the sound of this build because I wanna go faster and use a Gauss Rifle.

#8 Maniakos

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

I made this setup from suggestions of other threads, my fav so far :

300XL
Endo, FF

3x AC2 + 5-6 tons (cant remember)
2x med lasers

392 armor
rest shs (no $ for doubles yet)

Really good, the acs do generate a lot of heat but alot of dmg as well, and fast, and long range. Its pretty awesome.

On the flip side the repair costs are ridiculously high.

#9 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostDragonVerity, on 22 November 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

So how do I fit all this stuff? Is it a matter of me needing to upgrade more?? I still haven't unlocked DHS and I know that's an upgrade but atm I have very little firepower and I like the sound of this build because I wanna go faster and use a Gauss Rifle.

Yeah, you'll have to go with DHS and endo steel - but it all fits in with the XL300 engine. Critical space won't be an issue. It's a really simple build to play. Put the 2LL's on one weapon group and the GR on the other, and then you can pretty much run and gun away. Top speed is around 87kph after speed tweak.

#10 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

2 AC5s
1 LL 1 ML
XL 300 engine.
DHS.
Endo steel.

The precision fire capability makes the thing a beast. This setup was what I used the first time I ever broke 700 damage and 5 kills.

Edited by Mavairo, 24 November 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#11 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

300XL, Endo steel, 12 DHS, 2AC5, 2 ML, SRM4, I chain fire the AC5's and SRM4 together at close range making it nearly impossible for the target to fire back accurately. Damage is pinpoint at close range and can be downright devastating as I can keep up that chain fire while triggering the ML's every time they come off cooldown for close to 20 seconds before I have to stop the lasers to deal with heat. If anything short of a streak cat is stupid enough to go 1v1 with me in the open it will die. 2 nights ago I rolled out a 900 damage game with 5 kills using this setup. Double eared a streak cat that was stupid enough to first target the Atlas I was following through the hills on the river map.

#12 beniliusbob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

You might want to buy another Dragon model instead of sinking millions of cBills into an XL engine. The engine will literally cost you as much as another mech. Get all three and you can get your elite-tier skills and figure out which model suits you best. Then buy an XL engine to make that model OP.

View PostVodrin Thales, on 27 November 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

300XL, Endo steel, 12 DHS, 2AC5, 2 ML, SRM4, I chain fire the AC5's and SRM4 together at close range making it nearly impossible for the target to fire back accurately. Damage is pinpoint at close range and can be downright devastating as I can keep up that chain fire while triggering the ML's every time they come off cooldown for close to 20 seconds before I have to stop the lasers to deal with heat.

Totally going to try this one!

#13 Abraham Moneybags

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

2 ER LL, 1 gauss. 3 tons of ammo. DHS, endo, 295 XL engine. I've pulled 900 damage several times in this and rarely have problems with gausspults.

*Incoming flame for saying something is better than gausspult

Edited by Abraham Moneybags, 27 November 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#14 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

View Postbeniliusbob, on 27 November 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

You might want to buy another Dragon model instead of sinking millions of cBills into an XL engine. The engine will literally cost you as much as another mech. Get all three and you can get your elite-tier skills and figure out which model suits you best. Then buy an XL engine to make that model OP.

Totally going to try this one!

I have 1 300XL engine I swap between all three of my Dragons. Should have elite skills unlocked soon and that will make me that much more effective.

#15 Kyrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

View PostExcelsias, on 14 November 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Throw them at me. I haven't found one I like yet. So discouraged by the options that I downgraded to a 220 standard engine, threw on 3 AC2s and 2 MLs, and now I sit back with the loltastic fun that affords. But it's not really a viable loadout. 58km/h on a dragon is sad.

58 Is slow event for a standard engin fit: try this one:

245 standard engin goes 66.1(71 with speed tweak,17tons) (can be upgrade to xl325(19tons) later if you remove 2 double heat sink since you'll need 6 slots)
Ferro armor, endo steel and double heat sink.
3 ac2 (put ammo in feet,4 tons total, careful it eat ammo like me with popcorn) (full armor, right arm)
1 streak ssrm2 (put ammo in cockpit, what could go wrong by sitting on high explosive!)
2 med lazer
put 3 double heat sink in left or right torso
355 armor point (dont go under 35 for legs since you got ammo there, full armor on cockpit!)
NO AMS, USE BIG CLIFF

IF std 245 STILL make you SAD you can go with more engin by remove 2 heat sink, switching to small Lazer. With this you could fit a Std 270, and won't affect to much you damage output.

Edited by Kyrs, 30 November 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#16 Rylyn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Im gonna try this. The Dragon was my first purchase and so far im happy with it.

#17 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

It's honestly a tough build not to love :) Don't expect to use it and go ripping through formations at 90m successfully. It's a stand-off build above all else. It does have enough power to let you 1v1 things when you have to, but the biggest asset is having all of your alpha power out to 400-500m -- so use that to your advantage and you'll be surprised at how effective it is. You don't need to hold a target for long periods of time to hurt them (like the peashooter guys) -- just a second here and a second there will do it. Get back behind cover, find a new angle, then pop up and hit them again...

#18 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Ok, now I am curious. Is AMS worth having if you're running your dragon with 12 tons (or 12.5) of standard armor and a 300 XL engine?

Been thinking of running a version w an UAC/5 + AC 2, SRM 6 (or two SRM4s if running N1 version), & 2 ML with about 14 or 15 DHS. I can make room for the AMS + it's ammo, but is it worth doing so?

Thy opinions are greatly appreciated,

#19 Kyrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

View PostNovawrecker, on 02 December 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

Ok, now I am curious. Is AMS worth having if you're running your dragon with 12 tons (or 12.5) of standard armor and a 300 XL engine?

Been thinking of running a version w an UAC/5 + AC 2, SRM 6 (or two SRM4s if running N1 version), & 2 ML with about 14 or 15 DHS. I can make room for the AMS + it's ammo, but is it worth doing so?

Thy opinions are greatly appreciated,

To be honest, I personnally prefer to go for std engin if I can't fit at least a 345XL (100.4 with speed tweak). Just remenber that building and hill are more effective vs LRM that the AMS, your AMS need will more likely depend on your pilot skill and knowledge or the terrain. (PS. ams almost worthless for any short range missile)

If your running a new 1N version try this: (low cost none XL build)
2 ac5 in chain fire
2 small laser
2 sstreak

those 10 engin heat sink are good enuf

put 3 tons of ac ammo and 2 ton of ssrm ammo (ac in the legs, ssrm in leg and cockpit)
upgrade: ferrofiber,endosteel, double heatsink (take care of all heat problem with engin heatsink)

armor: full on cockpit and torsor, 20 in left arm (help to agro the hit away from your right arm double ac), full armor on right arm and at lease 36 on each legs, total points:(340)

Engins STD 285 (goes about 82.5 with speed tweak), with 20 armor on left arm and speed of 82.5 they expect you to run a XL and most like will try to attack your left torsor.

#20 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostKyrs, on 02 December 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

To be honest, I personnally prefer to go for std engin if I can't fit at least a 345XL (100.4 with speed tweak). Just remenber that building and hill are more effective vs LRM that the AMS, your AMS need will more likely depend on your pilot skill and knowledge or the terrain. (PS. ams almost worthless for any short range missile)

If your running a new 1N version try this: (low cost none XL build)
2 ac5 in chain fire
2 small laser
2 sstreak

those 10 engin heat sink are good enuf

put 3 tons of ac ammo and 2 ton of ssrm ammo (ac in the legs, ssrm in leg and cockpit)
upgrade: ferrofiber,endosteel, double heatsink (take care of all heat problem with engin heatsink)

armor: full on cockpit and torsor, 20 in left arm (help to agro the hit away from your right arm double ac), full armor on right arm and at lease 36 on each legs, total points:(340)

Engins STD 285 (goes about 82.5 with speed tweak), with 20 armor on left arm and speed of 82.5 they expect you to run a XL and most like will try to attack your left torsor.

This has made me ponder on several questions ....

Are XL's that frowned upon with the game's mechanics?

Comment regarding AMS, I take it the mechanics for that did not translate well from Tabletop to MWO? Table top they obliterated SRMs and made most LRMs useless, sadly they had little to no effect on the big LRM launchers and were a waste to use on MRMs. SO if hills/buildings are more effective, why are soo many pilots running AMS on their mechs (at least all the matches I have participated in)?

SSRM2's are that much better than A pair of SRM4s? I have a lot to learn about this game's mechanics *sigh*

I am not a big fan of using both Endo Steel and FF because of how much cirt space they take up combined. 12.5 tons of armor is 2pts shy of max amor for Dragon models. I imagine that having 12 or 12.5 is more than sufficient with a heavy mech running 81kph w/out pilot speed training and that will further improve upon acquiring that skill, or am I incorrect in that assesment?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users