How To Be Useful With The Other Two Ravens...?

4 replies to this topic

#1 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

So, as we all know, the Raven-3L is now a very attractive ride with its speed, ok hardpoint layout, and ECM.

The question now is, how do you build the other two ravens such that you aren't *complete* dead weight on your team while you're trying to grind their XP so you can master the 3L? The second question is 'is it possible to do that without blowing any more cbills than necessary on these variants that we don't actually care about?'

Basically, I'm trying to figure those two things out. I don't want to spend another 4ish million on an xl240-something that I'm not likely to use again, and I was hoping to avoid the 3 mil expense for two sets of DHS, so I'm trying to find builds that are at least not a complete detriment to the team, using at most endo steel and the 210 XL that came with the 3L.

My initial thought, after much noodling around, was that a heavy energy armament isn't very viable without DHS, that the left arm ballistics on the 4X are essentially useless, and that at only 97 kph and no ECM, close range weapons like SRMs weren't a good idea. Therefore, I was thinking of putting a LRM15 with plenty of ammo on them along with a couple backup lasers and pretending to be half of a catapult. Unfortunately, playing last night showed me just how horrible of an idea that's going to be in the current ECM-fest that we're playing, so now I have no idea what to do again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

The only thing I can think of is quad medium lasers and SRM6 so that you can become a wannabe Jenneron the 2X and AC2 fast repositioning sniper on the 4X unless you want lolgauss. :)

#3 Yigyam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

My 4x with 1 AC20, 2 SLAS, 3 tons of ammo, and an XL200 does just fine. Yeah the 3L is good, but it doesn't invalidate the other builds. Just play what you want and get good at it. You'll have more fun than bandwagon jumping.

#4 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

i dont see why having an xl 240 around is a bad thing, its the best rated engine that requires no external heatsinks... but still yea if you want to max out the chassis its only fair that there be variants that aren't optimal, i mean i dread 2 of the 4 commandos i used but the end result was worth it.

#5 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

I think I might go quad slas + srm6 on the 2x and be a mini jenner, as you said, Eli. The slas being more heat efficient and leaving room for heat sinks might actually let that work. I'm still stumped on the 4x, though. How do you fit an ac20 on that thing, Stavros? :lol: I put an ac20 and 1 ton of ammo on and was at 34.5 tons. Did you strip most of the armor?

Edited by MuonNeutrino, 05 December 2012 - 09:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users