So, I Want To Get A Hunchback But I'm Not A Missle Fan, Is Anything That Isn't The 4Sp A Complete Waste?

4 replies to this topic

#1 MrPenguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Until my fav mechs get added. (I'm lucky since they're all with-in the time frame) I've decided to stick to the mediums since there the ones I like the most out of the one we have currently.

I already have a centurion, but now I want hunchback. But which would be best for me?
I'm not much of a missile fan, and I much prefer ballistics.

But i barely hear anything good about the ballistic hunchbacks. I get that everyone will target your main weapon and once thats gone you're near useless. Are they as bad as people claim? Or do the pros far out weight the cons?

Il probably get a 4SP just to level it, but I rather not rely on it as my main hunchy of choice.

#2 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

I originally was planning on getting a 4H or 4G but I am glad I got the 4SP instead. Load that baby up with 4 MLs + 2 SRM6s Artemis or 4 MLs, 1 MPLs + 2 SSRM2s, depending on what you want to do. With a Standard 250 or 260 you are a speedy little brawler or Light killer.

The hunches on the other Hunchback models are just so easy to destroy and any smart player will take it out ASAP. The 4H isn't so bad if you load up the single Ballistics slot with a Gauss cannon and stay back. Snipe early on in the match and deliver as much damage as possible then transfer into a decent brawler mid to late game. The 3 Bballistics slots on the 4G are not that useful.

#3 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

The 4P Swayback will serve you well. Load it up with small lasers in the hump, medium or pulse in the arms, and the fastest freaking engine you can. Have fun flanking the battle and melting the back plating right off anything you glare at. Yes the hump will be targeted. Just like a Cent's arm mount or a Dragon's cannon, or a LRM-Cats missile load. It is hardly a unique vulnerability to the Hunchies.

#4 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 15 November 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

The 4P Swayback will serve you well. Load it up with small lasers in the hump, medium or pulse in the arms, and the fastest freaking engine you can. Have fun flanking the battle and melting the back plating right off anything you glare at. Yes the hump will be targeted. Just like a Cent's arm mount or a Dragon's cannon, or a LRM-Cats missile load. It is hardly a unique vulnerability to the Hunchies.

SECONDED! I both love and despise this mech; love piloting it, despise facing one in the hands of any moderately competent pilot. Also props for the 4SP call above, both are very solid and flexible. IGNORE THEM AT YOUR PERIL.

If you were to get the two above, you'd eventually be looking for a third to unlock efficiencies with. I faced a 4H last night, and was surprised with how evil this particular loadout was:

Gauss, 2 MLAS, 3 SLAS. I tooled around in the mechlab, and was pleasantly surprised. With DHS and endo steel, I could cram 2 tonnes of ammo for the gauss, max armor, and 14 heatsinks, for an efficiency of around 1.26 on the wacky MWO heatscale. Slow as balls though with a std 200 engine. You could probably downgrade the gauss to an ac5 to upgrade the engine, as speed is one of the greatest assets a hunchie has.

#5 Vallyn

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

4P is always a good choice. Load it up with lasers - all ML or the SL variant as you choose. That's my preferred approach (260 Standard, Endo, 9xML).

The G or H work as well, depending on if you want to load up multiple AC2's or just go with a larger AC/LBX/Guass as your primary.

There is not a single Hunch that can't lay the hurt into someone - it's all about play style though. Whatever suits you best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users