Anti Gauss Strategy

12 replies to this topic

#1 SC1P1O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

I have been playing a few games in a Jenner, and I have played a lot as a dual gausscat. I find that it is very easy to kill lights with a gauss cat in a one on one situation. I have for the longest time tried to think of the best way to kill a gauss cat in a one on one.

In a pug i cannot trust that they will lrm the cat if i spot it otherwise i would narc it let a few volleys fall narc it a gain ect rinse repeat.

So without a trustworthy team how would u deal with a gausscat. any ideas or strategies you use would be appreciated.

#2 Itsacon

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Keep moving. The weight of a double Gauss means they had to economize either the engine or their armour. If the first, it's easy to get behind them. If the second, it doesn't really matter where you aim, as long as you don't stand in front of it. And if they went for the XL engine, you're in even more luck, it means those side torso sections are PACKED with explody instant-kill goodness...

By default the rear armour of even the center torso is weak enough to be burned away with one or two alpha strikes from a Jenner.

Of course, for added sadism, shooting up one of the legs can be fun, but they're pretty tough on a Cat, so I'd advise against it.

In general when facing Cats (any type), it's best to avoid the temptation to go for the arms if you can. They have similar armour to the side torso, and unless you're facing a StreakCat, they're generally not the weapon you should be afraid of when you're close enough to pick your target areas.

#3 Kaiz

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

XL Engine or Jump Jets should be more than enough for a dual gauss cat in a pure one-on-one situation.

Edit: As long as you don't do something silly like overheat or run straight into a wall giving the cat time to line up a perfect shot.

Edited by Kaiz, 16 November 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#4 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Use jump jets to jump above the K2, turn mid air and fire at it`s back. K2 can`t shoot upwards.

Team up with another Jenner. You will tear it to pieces in 30 seconds.

#5 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

Use terrain for your advantage. Dragon is the only mech that can install Gauss into the Arm. Cata's torso can pitch only about to 10 degrees up and down. It's also making aiming really hard, even if they can reach you.

Use flamer to obscure their vision if you got extra energy slot.

Don't stand in place, when sniping. Most Gauss freaks can't even hit near you, when you changing your speed and position randomly. That forces them to close-in, where you and your Lights can make short work out of them.

Fully echanced Cicadas and Commandos are worst nightmare of Gauss. Get some practice with those.

Edited by DivineEvil, 16 November 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#6 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Stick close and try to remain in their "blind" spot. Their advantage is their long range, close the distance and use your speed to your advantage. They don't have "arm swing" so it'll be hard for them to keep you in their arc for a long period of time.

I've actually seen an increase of dual AC20 catas are build for killing anything that comes close. That fight is harder imo.

#7 Icebound

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

View PostItsacon, on 16 November 2012 - 01:04 AM, said:

Keep moving. The weight of a double Gauss means they had to economize either the engine or their armour. If the first, it's easy to get behind them. If the second, it doesn't really matter where you aim, as long as you don't stand in front of it. And if they went for the XL engine, you're in even more luck, it means those side torso sections are PACKED with explody instant-kill goodness...

By default the rear armour of even the center torso is weak enough to be burned away with one or two alpha strikes from a Jenner.

Of course, for added sadism, shooting up one of the legs can be fun, but they're pretty tough on a Cat, so I'd advise against it.

That is no longer the case since they introduced mech upgrades and upped the percentage values of pilot skills. Gausscats in general can afford much more armor now, and have a much easier time getting a bead on their targets due to increased turning speeds.

In a Jenner it is now very hard to solo a gausscat by yourself compared to before, if they are at full health you will have to chip away at them for so long that they will have had plenty of time to land a lucky 1-hit kill on you.

#8 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

The trick here is to not stick around. Engage them for a few key moments, get them to come out of position, then use your speed/cover to bug out.

Once they have given up the chase and gone back a firing position. BAM. Hit them again. Hit, Run, Wait, Rinse, Repeat. The longer you can pull them out of position, the less time they are putting slugs down range. The more shots you can get them to take trying to leg you out, the less potential hurt they can put on your team.

The key to fighting a Gausscat in a smaller faster mech is frustration. A frustrated pilot will fire more carelessly than a calm one, and once the Gausscat is out of ammo, it's functionally useless (even with a backup laser or two, functionally a zombie that can throw rocks). Getting them to take every snap shot they can try because you just won't stay away, or you're timing your approach right, or you can stay above them terrain wise will eat through their ammo right quick.

#9 MmmBe3r

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, England

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 16 November 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

Use jump jets to jump above the K2, turn mid air and fire at it`s back. K2 can`t shoot upwards.

Team up with another Jenner. You will tear it to pieces in 30 seconds.

I play both a K2 and a Jenner and I find this tactic the most usefull taking out a K2. That said I don't really have problems shooting lights in my K2 at close or long range.

#10 Kaiz

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

The problem with most lights is that they expect their speed to carry them and they just run in the same circle over and over. Eventually people get wiser and just wait for them to run in front and blast them to bits.

The problem with trying to jump jet over a K2 is that if he's smart, he'll just wait for you to land with no momentum and blast your legs off.

#11 SC1P1O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the tips, i agree about the loss of momentum statement. when i see a light jump jet i wait for it to lang then head shot it. i think the best is to hit and run, be unpredictable in the path you take and stay on elevated ground. Thanks again have fun out there

#12 Teiwaz83

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

I find the gauscats too tough and too deadly to be worth actively trying to kill. I generally settle on a policy of harassment - shoot them up, run behind some terrain, come back regularly. (They'll generally forget about you pretty quickly since they really don't want to be wasting ammo fighting a light mech, and they especially don't want to have to chase you, so disappearing for even 10 seconds is often enough for them to resume a predictable facing - i.e. towards your allies - which will allow you to come up behind them safely again.) Harassment limits the damage they can cause to your team at relatively little risk to you, and sooner or later your lancemates will show up to help. Once this happens, drop your speed, come up beside them, and start unloading into the side torsos. If something goes wrong (you run into a wall or something) jumpjets will let you escape upwards.

It's also worth noting that the "ears" on a Gausscat are usually completely unarmoured. I can often strip them in a single alpha-Strike with my Jenner-F. While it doesn't cause any real harm to the combat capabilities of the Gausscat, if I'm making a strafing run on my way somewhere else, I consider these to be essentially C-Bill/XP Piniatas. Fun to smash and goodies fall out. Ought to be a sport.

#13 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

I find it quite the opposite to the OP - in 1vs1 fights it's usually gauss cat who falls victim to my Cicada altrough you need to dodge a few salvos while you are coring them. Typically biggest risk to be hit is when you are closing with them not when you are circling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users