8 replies to this topic

#1 Baphomech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

I am in the process of writing some Battletech fan-fiction that I plan on sharing here on the forum. However, once I post my story on the forum, does it become the property of Piranha/IGP/whomever, or do I still hold legal right to my work?

Just thought I would ask to be on the safe side - these kinds of things take people by suprise now and then.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Easy to answer. Take a look at the Terms of Use.

Terms of Use said:

• Your Content—The Website may contain bulletin board, chat, forum, social media or other communication services. We do not claim ownership of any Content that you post, upload, input, provide, submit or otherwise transmit to us, or any third party, using the Website (collectively, “Your Content”); however, you agree that by posting, uploading, inputting, providing, submitting, entering or otherwise transmitting your Content to us or any third party using the Website,
    • License to Us—you have thereby granted us a royalty-free, non- exclusive, worldwide, fully paid-up limited license to use, copy, distribute, transmit, display, edit, delete, publish and translate Your Content to the extent reasonably required by us to provide the Website as it exists from time to time or to ensure adherence to, or enforce, the terms of this Agreement,
    • Your Warranty to Us—you will have thereby confirmed, represented and warranted to us that you have all rights, titles and interests, as well as the power and authority necessary, to grant the license to Your Content set out above, and
    • Indemnity of Us—you will indemnify and save us harmless from and against any liabilities, actions, proceedings, claims, causes of action, demands, debts, losses, damages, charges and costs, including reasonable legal costs, any amount paid to settle any action or to satisfy a judgment and expenses of any kind and character whatsoever incurred by us relating to or arising from Your Content, including instances where the Your Content (A) infringes any Third Party Content or other third-party intellectual property rights, or (B) is inappropriate, profane, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful.

In other words, you're golden.

#3 Kedma

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I would say.. when you post anything on the internet, it is not yours anymore.. anything Prianha/IGP/whoever posts here, can, and will be posted on others sites.. promoting the game, if they want it or not..

If you wish to share part of your story with us.. that part of it.. becomes free for the world to share in.. hence allowing more people to try a tid bit of your work...

#4 OhGilPin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Just took a quick dive into the Terms of Use, did not read it all myself but I get the impression this covers it from a quick skim read.

Quote said:

Your Content—The Website may contain bulletin board, chat, forum, social media or other communication services. We do not claim ownership of any Content that you post, upload, input, provide, submit or otherwise transmit to us, or any third party, using the Website (collectively, “Your Content”); however, you agree that by posting, uploading, inputting, providing, submitting, entering or otherwise transmitting your Content to us or any third party using the Website,
  • License to Us—you have thereby granted us a royalty-free, non- exclusive, worldwide, fully paid-up limited license to use, copy, distribute, transmit, display, edit, delete, publish and translate Your Content to the extent reasonably required by us to provide the Website as it exists from time to time or to ensure adherence to, or enforce, the terms of this Agreement,
  • Your Warranty to Us—you will have thereby confirmed, represented and warranted to us that you have all rights, titles and interests, as well as the power and authority necessary, to grant the license to Your Content set out above, and
  • Indemnity of Us—you will indemnify and save us harmless from and against any liabilities, actions, proceedings, claims, causes of action, demands, debts, losses, damages, charges and costs, including reasonable legal costs, any amount paid to settle any action or to satisfy a judgment and expenses of any kind and character whatsoever incurred by us relating to or arising from Your Content, including instances where the Your Content (A) infringes any Third Party Content or other third-party intellectual property rights, or ( ;) is inappropriate, profane, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful.

EDIT: Damn you GHOST! ;)

Edited by OhGilPin, 27 April 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#5 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostYogSothoth, on 27 April 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

I am in the process of writing some Battletech fan-fiction that I plan on sharing here on the forum. However, once I post my story on the forum, does it become the property of Piranha/IGP/whomever, or do I still hold legal right to my work?

Just thought I would ask to be on the safe side - these kinds of things take people by suprise now and then.

Thanks in advance.

If you have not already, check out Battlecorps.com. They are always looking for good writing and pay for quality work if accepted.

#6 Baphomech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Awesome! Thank you for the quick responses, everyone - you've all been very helpful!

#7 HolmstN

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

Just saw this and made me appreciate well whoever it is that runs these forums. Most companies designate Terms of Use quite the opposite, where anything you post is owned entirely and without question by the hosting entity. Woohoo respectful business.

#8 Spider

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 74 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Keep in mind that your writing about Battletech which is an intellectual property.

#9 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

You can't sell for profit a story using the BattleTech intellectual property (except to people that have the legal right to sell such stories). However anything you personally make up (a planet, a character name, a merc unit name) is your property unless you give that right away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users