11 replies to this topic

#1 auniqueid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts
  • LocationUSA east coast

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Title says it all... thoughts on load out/weps/engine?

#2 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Based off of my last game, it seems a useful paperweight to keep the enemy jenners from flying over the rest of the team.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

There are a few atlas threads already. Try checking those out first. :blink:

#4 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

...straight-up ac20 brawler, fullish armor and fast.

#5 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

my experience: 4 ML, fastest engine you can fit, 1 Gauss Rifle, 8 tons ammo. Sniper/brawler.

#6 Wrayeth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

TBH, there's no one "best" way to use an Atlas. The Atlas can do just about anything that doesn't require speed, so it all comes down to loadouts and pilot skill.

Close-in brawler? check
LRM boat? check
Sniper? check
Fast scout? Hell no!
Cavalry? Not unless the enemy is missing a leg.

I find the AS7-D or AS7-K are best for the sniper role since you can fit medium lasers in the CT as secondary weapons and reserve everything else for long range beam and ballistic weapons and heatsinks. The AS7-D can also be used as an LRM boat with 2 LRM 20's.

The AS7-D-DC can be fit in a multitude of ways. Its 3 missile slots lend themselves well to running an LRM fit, but you can put SRMs in there instead and turn it into a brawler. I've got a config with 1 gauss, 3 SRM6, and 2 med lasers that is an absolute beast vs. anything within 200m.

The AS7-RS is also an excellent brawler. A pretty much standard setup is a gauss rifle, 2 SRM6, and 4 medium lasers. Alternately, you can go with a large laser/gauss build for a medium range sniper/brawler. The -RS can also work as an LRM boat with 2 LRM 20's.

#7 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

2 Large Lasers + 2 Medium Lasers + Gauss Rifle is ridiculously powerful.
This 43 damage salvo gun package will headshot and core even Atlas torsos incredibly fast.
Faster than 4 Large Laser, AC 20 and SRM 6 builds. Yes, I tried them all, and this is just better.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,675 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Several threads but it comes down to what can you do with an atlas? An Atlas is for delivering damage and soaking it up. Basically if your atlas dies due to headshots or CT being the primary damage done an atlas is not for you. Where light/med mechs can use speed of travel to throw off or make shots difficult, which an assault is not able to do. What an assault pilot must due is to use situational awareness, twist/turn and use the terrain to reduce the opposition's line of fire.

#9 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

The best Atlases are those that are able to destroy other Atlases within 3-4 salvos (without headshot) and emerge from the fight relatively undamaged.
I calculate you need about 40 plus damage salvos (single point damage) to do this consistently (to allow for some misses and imperfect hits).

Once your Atlas takes out an enemy Assault/Heavy but remains functional itself, the chances for your team's victory rises exponentially.

#10 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

The AS7-D-DC can be fit in a multitude of ways. Its 3 missile slots lend themselves well to running an LRM fit, but you can put SRMs in there instead and turn it into a brawler. I've got a config with 1 gauss, 3 SRM6, and 2 med lasers that is an absolute beast vs. anything within 200m.

The DC has been very successful for me recently. I've been using double aC2's and three srm6's. pound with ac2's on the way in then let loose as close as possible with srm6 and med pulse lasers.

I use the AS7 D, as7k and DC and the DC has recently been the consistent killer among-st the three.

#11 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

View PostLeeroy Mechkins, on 17 November 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

The best Atlases are those that are able to
and emerge from the fight relatively undamaged.
I calculate you need about 40 plus damage salvos (single point damage) to do this consistently (to allow for some misses and imperfect hits).

Once your Atlas Posted Image
the chances for your team's victory rises exponentially.

Fixed for the accuracy.

#12 charov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

I use my Atlas-D founder as a mid/long range supporter:
1x Gauss
1x LL
1x PPC
2x ML
Std 325
ES

Why PPC? Because I love them, even if the EMP effect it's still not implemented. If you have a good aim they are devastating: plus the gauss, are ~25 damage with very good accuracy even at long distance. This means that you can really rip apart other mech's weakspots, like Atlas+K gauss shoulder or easily headshot slower or static mechs. When they get closer I start shooting with LL and ML, always aiming at weakspots. Between 90 and 270m I unleash an α of 44 damage. Maybe it's not very much, but the number of HS allows you to keep firing a lot. Moreover, you just need one α at target's head to kill it.

The 325 standard is a good engine, you can fit 3xHS in it (awesome if you upgrade to DHS) it gives a minor speed boost (~5km/h) but, when elited, allows you to reach 56-57 km/h which is good for a support Atlas.
If you want to braw just use an XL360.

That's the build I use on my D-DC:
1x Gauss
1x LL
1x PPC
3x SRM6
Std 325
ES, DHS
Similar concept, but this time I have more firepower (although inaccurate) when I get closer. I usually fire my SRM within 90-100m, so I don't need (nor I like) the Artemis upgrade.

I suggest you to try several build and find what fits your playstyle better :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users