Aleksandr Kerensky, a descendant of Alexander Kerensky?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

I just noticed something, while cruising around the interwebs. Aleksandr Kerensky, whom we all know was a famous general of the Star League, whom is responsible for the Exodus, which in turn, lead to the rise of the Clans.

He shares a striking similarity to one Alexander Kerensky, whom was a large part of the 1917 Revolution, in the then Russian Provisional Government during WWI.

Simple coincidence? I sense ComStar's hand in these matters...

DISCUSS!

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by Lt Trevnor, 28 April 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#2 Darion McEvedy

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

He is named after the historical figure on purpose... It honestly never occured to me before that this wasn't obvious.

#3 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostDarion McEvedy, on 28 April 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

He is named after the historical figure on purpose... It honestly never occured to me before that this wasn't obvious.

Yeah I know! I thought the same when I stumbled across it. It does make sense for those at FASA to do this though.

#4 Mild Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts
  • LocationWhy, East of Eden

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

The real Aleksandr Kerensky was a somewhat obscure figure. Maybe theBT Kerensky was named after him on purpose, but the real Kerensky was not even popular with his own government and was most certainly not a man of war, even though he voted to continue the war with Germany, when it was obvious that the army was outmatched. He is certainly not considered a hero in Russia...

#5 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

I think a lot of major names are taken from history and such when FASA was first developing the universe.

#6 Mild Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts
  • LocationWhy, East of Eden

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yeah. Sun Tzu Liao being one prominent example

#7 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostMild Monkey, on 28 April 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Yeah. Sun Tzu Liao being one prominent example

Yep, that's another one, for sure

#8 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

One of my history teachers in high school had actually met the historical Alexander Kerensky. She seemed to be of the opinion that he was a good man.

#9 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

it was a good choice really. both figures failed in their endeavors and ended up in exile. family tradition lol

#10 RL Nice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationA computer.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

The Kuritas are also descended from a real-life Japanese commander/admiral/something-I'm-too-lazy-to-look-up-on-Wikipedia-right-now from World War II.

And some historical ancestors of House Cameron also existed in real life.

#11 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Strictly speaking, just about everyone in the future is a direct linear descendent of people living today. And doubly so the further we go into the past. Isn't the statistic that one in every four people in Europe are descended from Genghis Khan? A man who never even set foot on the continent!

#12 RL Nice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationA computer.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 28 April 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Strictly speaking, just about everyone in the future is a direct linear descendent of people living today. And doubly so the further we go into the past. Isn't the statistic that one in every four people in Europe are descended from Genghis Khan? A man who never even set foot on the continent!

Actually, every person in the future is a direct descendent of people living today, unless time travel is involved somehow, and I don't think I've come across any BattleTech fluff involving that. FASA, however, used real life people as ancestors of their characters. And I think the Genghis Khan thing is just a myth.

#13 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

BT lifts a of names and references from the 20th century.

#14 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

It's likely that Kerensky was chosen as a parallel between the Exodus and Alexander Kerensky's exile from Russia prior to the Russian Civil War.

#15 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

View PostRL Nice, on 28 April 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Actually, every person in the future is a direct descendent of people living today, unless time travel is involved somehow, and I don't think I've come across any BattleTech fluff involving that. FASA, however, used real life people as ancestors of their characters. And I think the Genghis Khan thing is just a myth.

No, I'd say it's not a myth. When you think about it, how often is there a direct line descendant going from one person to the next, without outside influences? Look at your own family tree for an example, you've probably got relatives that you had no idea about, simply because the tree is so large.

#16 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

View PostLt Trevnor, on 28 April 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

I just noticed something, while cruising around the interwebs. Aleksandr Kerensky, whom we all know was a famous general of the Star League, whom is responsible for the Exodus, which in turn, lead to the rise of the Clans.

He shares a striking similarity to one Alexander Kerensky, whom was a large part of the 1917 Revolution, in the then Russian Provisional Government during WWI.

Simple coincidence? I sense ComStar's hand in these matters...

DISCUSS!

EDIT: Grammar

Posted Image

#17 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostRL Nice, on 28 April 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Well, there was Living Legends (not to be confused with MWLL):

On the eve of Operation Exodus, the SLS Manassas, a WarShip with an experimental KF drive, suffers a misjump that keeps the ship in jump limbo and delays its emergence by more than three centuries. For the Star League era vessel, this effectively amounts to a jump ahead in time when she emerges in the Clan Occupation Zone in 3058, right in the middle of an Inner Sphere espionage mission. Complicating matters is the fact the ship's captain had a falling out with Aleksandr Kerensky for incompetence and insubordination, but is erroneously thought to be a war hero in the 31st century.

There you have it: a canon instance of time travel in BT/MW.
Granted, it's not exactly Doctor Who material, but there it is... <_<

#18 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostHayashi, on 29 April 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

Quiet you! lol

And nice find there Strum, I didn't know about that sorta thing happened, it's pretty cool.

#19 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

I never knew this. Thanks for bringing it up Lt Trevnor, and providing the link. Most likely the name was adapted for the fictional BT character because it sounded cool, not for any reason of historical significance; think about how powerful the name, in and of itself, is and you'll get an idea why it was chosen, I suspect. Haakon, all men are good until their brand of fanaticism begins to show; fortunately, when all of us have our time, and we again cool, we are good men again.

#20 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

The BattleTech lore was started before the fall of the Berlin Wall, and it's based on a future where the cold war never stalled-out like it did in real life. That would help explain the heavy Russian historical themes.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 30 April 2012 - 07:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users