Super-Brawler As-7D

11 replies to this topic

#1 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Just thought I'd share my latest Atlas-D build, it's proving highly successful for me (I'm even popping light mechs or at least scaring them off regularly).

AC/20
2x SRM6 w/ artemis
2x Medium Pulse Lasers (arm mounted)
2x Small Lasers (CT mounted)
Standard 350 engine

Upgrades:
DHS
Artemis
Endosteel

Ammo
Legs: 1ton each of AC/20 and SRM in each
Cockpit: 1ton of AC/20
Left arm: 1ton each of AC/20 and SRM

16 DHS
4 in Engine
1 in Left Arm
1 in Left Torso

592 armor
80 per leg
61 per arm
Front/rear balances slightly adjusted.

Free crits: 0
Free tons: 0

My weapon groups:
1: MediumPulse and Small Lasers (I'd put the separate, but I only have 3 mouse buttons)
2: SRMs
3: AC/20

The basic playstyle is to use the SRM6s plus the AC/20 as a single unit to deal the hurt. They both have the same effective range and cooldown timer, though the AC/20 can fire further.
The lasers are held for faster targets, for more precise targeting, or for finishing off a section while the big guns are still on cooldown.
The lasers are also handy at taking out lights, though I've found that most lights can be hit with decent regularity with the AC/20 and SRMs. They tend to run away after an AC/20 shell and/or a full SRM burst.

I have been using the free 75% re-arm, which is why I'm running so much ammo. Free you get 25 AC/20 shells and 225 SRMs. You could easily pull 2 tons of ammo and stick on an AMS system if you wanted.

Repair costs when severely destroyed: 70k
Typical repair costs on survival: 40k
Typical re-arm cost: 40-45k (this is why I use the 75% free re-arm)

Edited by One Medic Army, 18 November 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#2 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

I also made my atlas-D "super brawler" this week :(. Because this model has two ballistic hardpoints, I think that should be taken advantage of so I'm equipping two LBX10's on him (it's the best one that fits since its both on side torso). I'm also sticking with the standard engine 300. I also don't like being completely teethless outside 300m range so I've put in two Large lasers instead of the mediums and smalls (and just a personal observation small lasers on an atlas makes me wince ;)). I also haven't put in artemis for just the two srm6's because I feel that's not worth it.

I really like my build and I haven't lost a single 1v1 with another atlas yet. The lbx10's also make you deadly against lights. Only "downside" I've noticed is that with the lbx10's, you often end up completely ripping the enemy mechs apart. For example, I've made several centurions and huncbacks go below 20% before I've killed them, and it wasn't on purpose, I really wanted to kill them earlier but with the lbx10 and srm6 spreading the damage all over the mech you end up completely destroying the mechs before killing them. So you are lacking a bit on concentrated fire against targets that like to move a lot like the medium and light mechs do. But I personally love destroying components so this build works out great for me ;).

#3 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

I am curious, why 2 med pulse + 2 small lasers instead of 3 meds or med pulse?

#4 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

View PostLeeroy Mechkins, on 18 November 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

Why not four?

#5 Mjoelnnir

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

I use a Variant of this myself and I love it, for me it is super efficient. But I do not use Endo Steel and Artemis. Therefor I have 3 Large Lasers instead of the Pulse and the small Lasers. I have more Range with the 3 LL and it`s a Pin-Point 30 DMG Alpha.

#6 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

View PostMjoelnnir, on 18 November 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

I use a Variant of this myself and I love it, for me it is super efficient. But I do not use Endo Steel and Artemis. Therefor I have 3 Large Lasers instead of the Pulse and the small Lasers. I have more Range with the 3 LL and it`s a Pin-Point 30 DMG Alpha.

Don't Large Lasers deal 8 damage?

#7 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

2 large are better for longer range punch doing 9 each, but if your gonna be face hugging folks to get the best from the AC 20, then 4 mediums give you more damage with a higher ROF (20 instead of 18 every 3 sec instead of 3.25 with the downside of 16 heat instead of 14 each time)

Its a trade off. But the Meds weigh less so you can get 2 large for 10t, or 4 meds for 4t and add 6 heatsinks (if your using singles) because you'll have room for them. maximum of 2.8 heat per second or 6 heat per second.

2 large
1 gauss w/3t
2 six packs (artemis) w/2t
AMS w/1t

Granted its a 300 engine, but whats 8kph between friends (and enemies)

#8 Black Alexidor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

Without placing your ammo correctly or combining with CASE you are going to have problems with ammo explosions in your hardpoints leading yourself to a much hastier death.

Reconsider for longevity sake,

#9 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostLeeroy Mechkins, on 18 November 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

Mainly because I have 0 open crits and 0 open tons.
I could certainly run 4 mediums and have a higher heat burden, longer beam duration, increased range, and an open ton to go with the higher damage.
I also figured arm-mounted medium pulses would be better for swatting light mechs.

View PostBlack Alexidor, on 18 November 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

Without placing your ammo correctly or combining with CASE you are going to have problems with ammo explosions in your hardpoints leading yourself to a much hastier death. Reconsider for longevity sake,

That's why it's in the legs, left arm, and cockpit.
The arm has 61 armor and is on the side nobody shoots for. The legs have 80 armor. The cockpit on an atlas is so small as to be practically unhittable.
I can count on one hand the number of times I've lost a leg on an atlas, and every time it's happened I've been running less than 80 armor. Arms are more likely to go, but torso twisting plays more of a factor here. I have never been cockpitted in an atlas.

Edited by One Medic Army, 18 November 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#10 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 18 November 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

I can count on one hand the number of times I've lost a leg on an atlas

I can count it without hands because it's zero ;). The legs are indeed safest place on an atlas.

#11 Golden Sentinel

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

View Postchewie, on 18 November 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

2 large are better for longer range punch doing 9 each, but if your gonna be face hugging folks to get the best from the AC 20, then 4 mediums give you more damage with a higher ROF (20 instead of 18 every 3 sec instead of 3.25 with the downside of 16 heat instead of 14 each time) Its a trade off. But the Meds weigh less so you can get 2 large for 10t, or 4 meds for 4t and add 6 heatsinks (if your using singles) because you'll have room for them. maximum of 2.8 heat per second or 6 heat per second. 2 large 1 gauss w/3t 2 six packs (artemis) w/2t AMS w/1t Granted its a 300 engine, but whats 8kph between friends (and enemies)

I run a similar build:
2 large lasers, 1 per arm
1 LBX-10 with ample ammunition
2 SRM6 packs

I use the large lasers as I close and for additional mid range damage. When I get into brawling range, I group fire the autocannon and the SRMs into my target for a super shotgun burst of damage.

I also use the stock 300 engine, as my brawling builds I don't like the XL engine due to the repairs and the side torso crit chance.

#12 Sh4nk0h0l1c

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

My big bad brawler build:

1 AC20 / 3 toa
2 SRM6+Artemis / 3toa
4 Med Lasers

Also got an 325 Standard Engine in it, giving me more twistspeed and agility and I am using DHS...

Only a few can stand against this build =)

Edited by Sh4nk0h0l1c, 18 November 2012 - 10:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users