Mech Tree Question

15 replies to this topic

#1 Sweetlovin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

Hi fellas,

I just wanna make sure I get it right before buying new mechs and hangar space: "Purchase all Elite efficiencies for 3 variants of this weight class to unlock MASTER"

So in order to get to MASTER level for light, I need to ELITE: Commando, Jenner, and Raven? Or could I do 3x Raven?

Also, as an aside... We are currently in open beta, right?

Is there going to be a wipe when the game officially releases?

#2 Boda1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSarasota, Florida, USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

They way it works is you have to buy three different variants of the same 'Mech chassis. So 3 Ravens, 3 Hunchbacks, etc. and play them enough to buy all the Elite skills and you can then buy Master on all of them. You can also sell the variants you don't want any more and you will retain the unlocked skills on the one you keep. I'm not sure of this, but I've heard you retain XP in the mech tree when you re-buy the variant.

Also, the last wipe was at the beginning of Open Beta. Anything you unlock now you keep for the rest of the game.

Edited by Boda1, 18 November 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#3 Denno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

No, you must have elite unlocked for 3 variants of a particular chasis.
Curses. Too slow.

Edited by Denno, 18 November 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#4 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

In order to unlock Elite for, say, the Commando, you need to unlock all 8 Basic skills in 3 different Commando variants.

This does not transfer over to, say, the Jenner.

Elite>Master works the same way.

And no, there will not be any more wipes.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 18 November 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#5 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

You just have to unlock Elite for 3 variants of the weight class. For example I am getting elite on my founders Cat, my Dragon 1C, and then on some Cataphract variant, once I get all those I can get master on all of them. You do still have to unlock 3 Basics for each Variant though, so you will have to buy 3 variants for each chassis, of course you can sell them afterward and get some of your cbills back.

#6 Sweetlovin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostBoda1, on 18 November 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

They way it works is you have to buy three different variants of the same 'Mech chassis. So 3 Ravens, 3 Hunchbacks, etc. and play them enough to buy all the Elite skills and you can then buy Master on all of them. You can also sell the variants you don't want any more and you will retain the unlocked skills on the one you keep. I'm not sure of this, but I've heard you retain XP in the mech tree when you re-buy the variant. Also, the last wipe was at the beginning of Open Beta. Anything you unlock now you keep for the rest of the game.

Thanks fellas. Also, holy sh*t batman! Thats a lot of XP needed!

#7 Boda1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSarasota, Florida, USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Oh by the way, after you unlock all the basic skills in the mech tree, it is exactly 43,000 XP to buy the Elite and Master skills, so after you have that much XP on your mech variant the rest is only good for turning in to General XP. What I did was buy a Hunchback 4SP, unlock all the basic, play until I got 43,000 XP sitting on it, and then bought a Hunchback 4P. I used the C-Bills I earned from playing my 4SP to upgrade my 4P and now I'm farming XP on my 4P, etc.

#8 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostKaox Veed, on 18 November 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

You just have to unlock Elite for 3 variants of the weight class. For example I am getting elite on my founders Cat, my Dragon 1C, and then on some Cataphract variant, once I get all those I can get master on all of them. You do still have to unlock 3 Basics for each Variant though, so you will have to buy 3 variants for each chassis, of course you can sell them afterward and get some of your cbills back.

Somehow it never occurred to me to even try this.

It probably has something to do with how it requires buying 9 Mechs and grinding them all past Basic. Ouch. Good to know, though.

#9 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostKaox Veed, on 18 November 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

this one is spot on.
Read closely in the trees.
For Master slots you must unlock Elite for 3 variants of the WEIGHT CLASS (not the same mech chassis).

To get to Elite, you DO have to unlock basics on 3 different variants of the SAME chassis not class.

Should you sell any of your chassis variants, you actually retain whatever unlocks you have done to date in the event you decide you want them back later. At least that is how it currently works.

#10 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 18 November 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Somehow it never occurred to me to even try this. It probably has something to do with how it requires buying 9 Mechs and grinding them all past Basic. Ouch. Good to know, though.

Grinding through Basic isn't that bad since they rebalanced the xp. I was doing it during closed and never could hit master most of the time before resets lol. It is only about 14k now.

And since I want to play each of those chassis it makes since to only focus on the variants I want. The hardest part was playing the unwanted chassis without blowing a ton of money on lostech upgrades.

#11 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

View Postvettie, on 18 November 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

this one is spot on. Read closely in the trees. For Master slots you must unlock Elite for 3 variants of the WEIGHT CLASS (not the same mech chassis). To get to Elite, you DO have to unlock basics on 3 different variants of the SAME chassis not class. Should you sell any of your chassis variants, you actually retain whatever unlocks you have done to date in the event you decide you want them back later. At least that is how it currently works.

I finished elite on the Yen Lo Wang, CN9-A anf CN9-AL. I have finished master on the YLW and the CN9-A. I purchased 3 Hunchbacks, and had to fnish elite on all 3 variants to unlock master. (Same with Jenner and Atlas)

The Mechlab still states i have no master variants unlocked. What is up with that? (See marked box on sreenshot)

Will i receive another additional module slot once i get basic finished on 1 cicada variant? Will i get that slot on every medium chassi, making it 5 on the YLW and 4 on the CN9-A?

Or would it only make sense if i had 1 Centurion with finished elite, 1 Hunch with finished elite and would finish elite on 1 Cicada. Would i than be able to fill the Master Box on those mechs without the need to purchase 2 additional variants of each?

I am confused...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: While we are at it why does the Jenner-F only have 1 Module slot and the Jenner-D 2? (2 or 3 respectively with master) How many module slots does the founders variant have?

Edited by Budor, 18 November 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#12 vettie

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

@Budor

If I understand correctly, (BIG IF there), you must unlock the Elite LEVEL on 3 variants of whatever chassis to be able to unlock the Master Slot.

Again, IF I understand correctly, this would mean that you need to unlock all three Centurions, all three Hunchies and all three Cicadas. You must THEN unlock the Master for whichever chassis / variant of those 3 (in your example) to get the additional SLOT. You DO NOT have to unlock the Master on all 3 Variants of the same chassis unless you want to.

Now in your 1st picture, it shows the Master UNLOCKED but also says 0 unlocked in the little red box. I think this is a bug as I have seen it before. My bud, team mate, unlocked all elite level for Catapult and then unlocked the Master Level on 1 of those. The Master showed Unlocked, but the 'red box' said 0 and NO additional slot appeared in his mech (this is the most important part of all of that). I told him to take a screenie then reboot the client, When he did, the game then acknowledged that he had 1 master slot completed on his variant and in fact when he again clicked the module tab, he now had 2 slots for modules (I am guessing the variant had 1 built in and 1 earned).

Just as a side note, the modules available at this time are, in my opinion, lackluster. this is because MANY more slots are planned for the future and will be tied into different game features as they are added. The PIP zoom, again my opinion is not so great. The Target info is decent as it does come up faster when you target an enemy (assuming you have time to see the info brought up and use it more than just looking for what part of the mech is 'red'). The FAST Cap module is currently the most functional and useful (again opinion) as it does work and it does decrease the amount of time you have to sit on base to cap it. the payout for a CAP win is higher than killing all the enemy, so if you are a runner / scout / capper it is a good thing. I dont think I would put one on an Atlas, but a Jenner / Cicada or even maybe the P model Hunchie with improved engine of the D model Centurion sure. the COST is 6 mil CBills. pretty staggering. Let me see, I can buy 2 more mechs for that cost (or close to 2 more, maybe 3 if Commandos..)

#13 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thanks a lot, so couldve been done faster with the Yen, 1 Hunch and 1 Cicada instead of getting 3 variants of every medium through elite :) I kept 2 variants of each chassi with totally different builds so i guess it wasnt for nothing. Will be helpfull to know this now when doing Dragon,Cata and Phract.

Just to be sure as english isnt my native language: I take 3 variants of each heavy through BASIC and than can take 1 of every chassi to master without the need to keep 9 mechs around/through elite?

I use all 3 modules and also think the zoom is the weakest, maybe because out of 8 fitted mechs only the Atlas-RS has a weapon that could reach further than 500m while still doing significant damage ;)

Edited by Budor, 18 November 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#14 vettie

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

No, you have to complete the ELITE trees on 3 variants of same chassis, THEN you can go master (After unlocking the master tree slot).

Let me see if i can put this another way

3 Hunch
3 Centurions

Basic level CAN be completed on ANY mech.
3 basic level MUST be completed for each Hunch and each Centurion to be able to start the Elite Tree.
That mean complete the basic for ALL variants of Hunch or Centurion that you want to go elite with.

ELITE level MUST be completed by 3 variant do same chassis to unlock Master.
So ALL 3 Hunchies and all 3 Centurions must have ELITE unlocked before you go to Master.

Once you Unlock MASTER on a MECH, it allows you to add a slot for that mech, It can be ANY ONE of the 6 you unlocked.

The MODULE can can then be purchased and installed on any mech that has a module slot available. Unlocking MASTER ADDS slots so you can buy more modules. More modules will be added later in the game.

AT least that is how I understand it to work.

Edited by vettie, 18 November 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#15 Carbon7

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

I have all 3 elite and master slots opened for the catapult class...however, it still says (after many reboots) that I have not unlocked the master variant - any ideas?

#16 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostGwero, on 16 January 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Hi,

I have all 3 elite and master slots opened for the catapult class...however, it still says (after many reboots) that I have not unlocked the master variant - any ideas?

support@mwomercs.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users