I Just Had A Thought... If You Put 2 Gauss In A Cataphract 3D...

18 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

I just had a thought... if you put 2 gauss in a Cataphract 3D, one in the Right Arm and one in the Right Torso, and the Arm Rifle is detonated for 40 dmg...

... will that automatically blow off the Right Arm, then transfer excess damage to the insides of the Right Torso, causing the other Rifle in that location to spontaneously detonate?

I'm just wondering if this ^ would happen, or if damage would transfer in such a way that woud not cause the Torso-mounted rifle to detonate (?).

#2 Operant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

That's why you should run a AC/20phract. Mwahahaha!

#3 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

I think they've said that only partial damage transfer exists on overflow damage. I'm not positive. They also don't have any hard and fast lists of how much structure each internal area has. Someone claimed a head has a total of 33 the other day.

I'd assumed they just doubled all the values - armor and internal. As such, a head should be 18/6.

PROPER damage transfer goes to armor first. If they're transferring damage straight to internals it DAMN SURE BETTER be a smaller portion of the total overflow.

#4 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

If that is possible, we might have to rename it to the Catafuct.

#5 Prophet of Entropy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 319 posts
  • LocationStar Kingdom of Manticore

in TT this could happen. not sure if gauss ingmae detonate, and it should only be for 20 damage each gauss

#6 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I know it was possible in early closed beta....I had a couple WTF deaths due to arm ammo explosions. These days ammo explosions seem bugged/different though so I'm not sure it would happen now.

#7 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostVermaxx, on 19 November 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

I think they've said that only partial damage transfer exists on overflow damage. I'm not positive. They also don't have any hard and fast lists of how much structure each internal area has. Someone claimed a head has a total of 33 the other day.

I'd assumed they just doubled all the values - armor and internal. As such, a head should be 18/6.

PROPER damage transfer goes to armor first. If they're transferring damage straight to internals it DAMN SURE BETTER be a smaller portion of the total overflow.

For heads they increased the internal structure on cockpits to 15, for the sake of balance.
Nobody likes getting 1-shot KO'd.

#8 Bartolomeo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

cataboom!

#9 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

You apply CASE to where the Gauss Cannon is mounted and it cannot explode.

#10 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I was working these so called Dual builds in the MWO Mechbay (http://mwomercs.com/...s-excel-inside/) thnx to Ohms.

Anyways the Dual AC20 cataphract won't happen, it's the same issue as the Cent-A, you have an Arm actuator.

The Dual guass cata will leave your *** SLOW AS F.U.C.K. since the 280 in it gives you a speed of 64 KPH.

Also you have barely any room for anything if you add endo or FF, let alone DHS.

Then you want to add on JJ's, LOL this mech is not the new dual guass/ac20 cat replacement.

This mech is a tight fit, and I know some people will build these so called Dual guass Cata's, but your only gimping yourself as that right torso comes off so does everything else.

good luck with the cheese builds.

Edited by DCM Zeus, 19 November 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#11 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Downgrade the engine to a 250, or go XL. Some problems solved.

Obviously the mech cannot carry AC20's. That is the Jager's job.

#12 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostRhent, on 19 November 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

You apply CASE to where the Gauss Cannon is mounted and it cannot explode.

Not quite correct. CASE will not prevent the explosion, nor will it stop the explosion from taking out everything in that location. What CASE does is prevent that explosion damage from moving to the center of the mech and killing you (or just hurting you a lot more)

View PostDCM Zeus, on 19 November 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

I was working these so called Dual builds in the MWO Mechbay (http://mwomercs.com/...s-excel-inside/) thnx to Ohms.

Anyways the Dual AC20 cataphract won't happen, it's the same issue as the Cent-A, you have an Arm actuator.

The Dual guass cata will leave your *** SLOW AS F.U.C.K. since the 280 in it gives you a speed of 64 KPH.

Also you have barely any room for anything if you add endo or FF, let alone DHS.

Then you want to add on JJ's, LOL this mech is not the new dual guass/ac20 cat replacement.

This mech is a tight fit, and I know some people will build these so called Dual guass Cata's, but your only gimping yourself as that right torso comes off so does everything else.

good luck with the cheese builds.

Plenty of other excellent builds for the Cataphract even if you don't use dual gauss or AC20s.

#13 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 19 November 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Not quite correct. CASE will not prevent the explosion, nor will it stop the explosion from taking out everything in that location. What CASE does is prevent that explosion damage from moving to the center of the mech and killing you (or just hurting you a lot more)

Plenty of other excellent builds for the Cataphract even if you don't use dual gauss or AC20s.

Helping out.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/CASE

CASE, short for Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment, was created by the Terran Hegemony in 2476[1] as a system designed to reduce the hazards of carrying volatile or explosive equipment, usually ammunition. CASE is essentially a specialized container structure for housing the equipment, and redirects explosive force in the event that the equipment explodes. While this makes it invaluable for preventing excessive internal damage, CASE does not actually stop the explosion, it merely contains and redirects the explosive force, so after an explosion units likely will be crippled or nonfunctional, though not destroyed outright.
Inner Sphere CASE weighs half-a-ton per piece, while Clan CASE does not require any additional tonnage. Both the Inner Sphere and Clan CASE cost 50,000 C-Bills. CASE mounted on an Inner Sphere 'Mech can only be placed in a torso section, and only protects that torso section. Any other ground, sea, or air vehicle mounting CASE only requires one, which protects the entire vehicle.

Edited by DCM Zeus, 19 November 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#14 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Case in a side torso is worthless if your weapons are all arm/side torso. It just stops the damage from going to the engine. Considering you just lost all your weapons, who cares? YEAH, you can zombie around or bother people or help cap. IE things that only situationally useful.

CLAN CASE can be put in arms, and stops transfer inward. Nuff said.

#15 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 19 November 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Oh yes there is, and I have a few already pre-built, but these cheese builds just won't happen with any real benefit to the team, and really only gimp yourself.

#16 Cataphract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Arm explosions do not transfer to the torso as of right now. The only limb that will transfer and explosion is the legs. I have ammo in the arms of many mechs and have lost the arms with no consequence while ammo was still present. The 3D also isn't nearly as hard to dual Gauss with JJ as some think and the convergence wont be that bad. Similar to firing an ERPPC and Gauss in tandem on the right side of an Atlas.

#17 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostVermaxx, on 19 November 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

not quite
head has 15 internal, not 33
33 is how much hp the head has if you include the max 18 armor.
everything else is half max armor, but head was given a special exception to limit what could one-shot decapitate you

#18 Orthodontist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEndor, Moddell sector

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostCataphract, on 19 November 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Arm explosions do not transfer to the torso as of right now. The only limb that will transfer and explosion is the legs. I have ammo in the arms of many mechs and have lost the arms with no consequence while ammo was still present. The 3D also isn't nearly as hard to dual Gauss with JJ as some think and the convergence wont be that bad. Similar to firing an ERPPC and Gauss in tandem on the right side of an Atlas.

Can anyone confirm this? Any quotes/threads on this particular subject that can shed away any doubt?

#19 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostCataphract, on 19 November 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Oh it's fairly difficult, with the mech stripped down of weps and default engine at 280XL with full armor cept the legs at 51/60

Running at 64KPH

with dual gauss you are at 64 tons, this mech is only 70 tons.

Now bringing the engine down to 250 you are now at 58 KPH and at 62.5 tons.

Add a JJ and now your at 63.5 tons, let alone being at a 280 XL engine

Get that right torso blown off, you not only lose both the guass, but you lose the whole mech.

Getting this thing fitted with a std engine only makes it worse and makes you much much slower.

The negatives of this kinda build out weights any kinda positive for this cheese build.

View PostOrthodontist, on 19 November 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Can anyone confirm this? Any quotes/threads on this particular subject that can shed away any doubt?

Yes arm explosion do not goto the right or left torso, leg explosion will.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users