ISN News Flash

33 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Tues. Feb 08, 3049: Gray Death Legion envoy’s arrival on Outreach sparks rumors of Legion leaving Steiner employ now they're fully rebuilt.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Should not it be: "...now they are fully rebuilt." ? :)

Also, are those "rumors" true?

#3 Rognin

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

Should not it be: "...now they are fully rebuilt." ? :)

First, Should it not be. Second, Now THAT they have fully rebuilt.

Edited by Rognin, 08 February 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#4 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

GDL. Now thatss a proper merc unit.....

#5 berserk3r

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

*** is goin on

#6 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image

There's really just too much to talk about when it comes to the exploits of the Gray Death Legion. Whether it is the impressive accomplishments of their founder, Grayson Death Carlyle, who practically rewrote the book on combined arms tactics for the 31st century, or their discovery of the Helm Memory Core, which led to a renaissance in the Inner Sphere that improved the lives of innumerable people, it is hard to imagine a mercenary unit more important or influential in the annals of history.

#7 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

Always hated the GDL. Their stories always were the same. Oh we get betrayed by whoever hired us, then we trick them because our enemies are always idiots, and we end up coming out ahead smelling like roses. They had more Fiat than Italy.

I was SO happy when they died off.

Also. what kind of nutcase would give their kid a middle name "Death"?

GDL
So glad your truly dead now :)

Edited by verybad, 08 February 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#8 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Anyone who wants to read more on the GDL I recommend you read the following books...

These three books cover, in depth, the exploits of the Gray Death Legion and the discovery of the Helm Memory Core.

#9 GrayUnicorn

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Could have come from "de Ath" - I know a Rob Death, whose surname is derived this way. Pronounces it "deeth", delaying amusing remarks until such time as he has to spell it.

#10 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

the only thing you really need to know about them is this:

"the Mercenary Review and Bonding Commission indicated that because of the Legion's spotty track-record with turning on their employers, they could not be appropriately graded."

theres no worse possible fate to an merc company than that.

#11 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMorningside, Pandora OA, Tamar March, Lyran Space, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

GreyUnicorn has it right, Grayson received his middle name from an ancestor Lord Grayson Death Thomas. It was originally pronounce "Deeth" but he changed it after becoming "the Victor of Lysnader and a Landholder so Powerful that no one cared how he pronounced his name." Quotations are straight from Decision at Thunder Rift pg.16 First Roc printing September 1992.

Damn History Degrees have made me ****......

#12 Patch Holt

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 33 posts
  • LocationRhode Island ,USA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

verybad , I hate tell you this but right now in the time that MWO is starting that arent dead.

#13 GDL Havoc

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Glad the Legion got a little nod here, though I wish it didn't have such a glaring grammatical hiccup.

Still, I'll take whatever advertising I can get.

Also, Arden: Thank you for clearing that up, I was going to mention that (as I have Decision at Thunder Rift sitting right by my keyboard) but you beat me to the punch. Much obliged.

And Verybad, what's with the hate man? GDL isn't dead for quite a few years yet. You don't see me going around bashing the Draconis Combine (which is one of my favorite houses by the way, Duke Hassid Ricol proved his honor on Helm and showed at least some of the Combine leadership were both intelligent and could look ahead to the future of mankind, not just the Draconis Combine.) so please don't go around bashing other people's preferred group.

I love the story of Grayson Death Carlyle and his exploits & re-read the GDL trilogy once a year on average. The Legion is a small, but powerful force to be rekoned with. A David in a room full of Goliaths, and unafraid to stand up for what's right despite that.

Also, was it the Draconis Combine that can claim to have been the first force to defeat the Clans when they invaded? Didn't think so. :)

Remember Pandora. :o

<S>

-Havoc

#14 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I think it was one of the worst atrocities in the history of ANY science-fiction universe when the Gray Death Legion was nearly wiped out, never allowed to rebuild, and then completely destroyed in the Jihad.

This is the kind of send off you get when you become too powerful or too popular.

#15 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Eh, there's a reason I generally keep away from the novels of BT. Things are all pulpy heroic exploits, firm handshakes, hearty back-slapping bear hugs, stiff salutes and more twists and turns than Chubby Checker in a blender. (EDIT: and winding monologues explaining any plot we may have missed up to that point).

Which is why I get my canon from source books :)

Edited by Hayden, 08 February 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#16 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostPatch Holt, on 08 February 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

verybad , I hate tell you this but right now in the time that MWO is starting that arent dead.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but knowing that they're wiped out in the future makes me giddy with anticipation.

I hope I get a chance to fight them in the game somehow. :)

View PostBrakkyn, on 08 February 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

I think it was one of the worst atrocities in the history of ANY science-fiction universe when the Gray Death Legion was nearly wiped out, never allowed to rebuild, and then completely destroyed in the Jihad.

This is the kind of send off you get when you become too powerful or too popular.

Why, warfare is dangerous, If your hero wins every time, then he wasn't fighting very hard struggles.

As for Attrocities, you think that wiping out a single regiment is worse than glassing planets with billions of civilians on it? :o

Edited by verybad, 08 February 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#17 Logan Solo Sinclair

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 08 February 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Anyone who wants to read more on the GDL I recommend you read the following books...These three books cover, in depth, the exploits of the Gray Death Legion and the discovery of the Helm Memory Core.

Some good beer and pretzel sci-fi reading right there, I tell you hwhat...
I would second those, and ad;
<a href="http://www.sarna.net/wiki/The_Dying_Time">The Dying Time</a>

Unlike the recommended trilogy, however, this quite a bit further into the future than our current game time, so perhaps not as relevant. Still a good read though, imo. Without any spoiling I will state(as cryptically as I can), that The Dying Time, about The Grey Death Legion, Featuring Grayson Death Carlyle is very
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacognition">Meta...</a>

Edited by Logan Solo Sinclair, 08 February 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#18 GDL Havoc

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostBrakkyn, on 08 February 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

I agree completely Brakkyn, it seemed heavy handed at the very least to destroy the Legion in the way it was destroyed in the novels, especially after such a storied history.

That said, the Legion is popular, but nowhere nearly as popular as the Clans, or say Kell Hounds or Wolf's Dragoons. (In my experience, anwyay)

They did play a crucial role in finding the Star League memory core on Helm and managing to get it off-planet against all odds, sparking a technological rennisance in the Inner Sphere, yes. Also, there are certainly less popular factions out there to be sure, but I never saw them as too powerful or more popular than any of the other big canon merc units like the Northwind Highlanders. (Rose-colored glasses may be partly to blame for that, I don't know).

Just my thoughts on that.

View Postverybad, on 08 February 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but knowing that they're wiped out in the future makes me giddy with anticipation.

Why, warfare is dangerous, If your hero wins every time, then he wasn't fighting very hard struggles.

As for Attrocities, you think that wiping out a single regiment is worse than glassing planets with billions of civilians on it? :o

VB, again with the Hateraid, why do you not like them? Have you ever read the novels or do you just not like them because someone you don't like does like them?

You do realize that the Legion has been part of some very hard fighting and fought its way back from near destruction on multiple occations against long, and very tough odds. Have tougher battles been fought? Sure, but don't make it sound like the Legion got to play patty cake their whole existence, because that's not the case.

Read up on them here. http://www.sarna.net...ay_Death_Legion

And what Hayden means by one of the worst attrocities isn't in a raw number of lives lost, because in the grand scheme of the universe few attrocities will ever rival the Succession Wars, but that such a storied and interesting unit was done away with in such a half-hearted manner by the writers of battletech. The Legion accomplished a lot and helped *all* of humanity with the technical revolution the Gray Death memory core brought about. They didn't ask for compensation, they just kept right on fighting. Sure they weren't always able to do things 'by the book' but they did what was right and equitable, and in a universe full of people willing to kill thousands, or even millions for power or money, it was refreshing to see people willing to not only fight for a good cause, but not abandon that cause either, even if it meant they might all be killed in the action.

That's the way I see it anyway. And don't worry Verybad, you'll be able to fight me and the rest of the Legion players any time you want in game. We'll be there waiting.

<S> Take it easy

-Havoc

#19 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

View Postverybad, on 08 February 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Heroes win everytime. Why else take the first freaking step in the 'Hero's Journey'? If he hasn't won yet, you've only seen a prequel, by definition, that or a Hero as yet to be. After all, you yourself already conceded his status AS hero by retaining the naming convention.

Ummm, gentlemen. Were are all here to make Sport of Attrocities, in PC format only, sorry Xboxers. I know of few games where flinging deadly projectiles is warm and cuddley. I'm willing to grind/pay irl cash extra for modules that allow radar to scan and lock on multiple targets bearing ponyesque paraphenailia or unit insignias.

I can see your show any time. This whole Mechwarrior Reboot show comes around how often? Now sit back and enjoy the rest of the show. Be quiet during the movie please or I'll rap a knuckle on a head.

#20 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

They mentioned Outreach, the home of the Wolf's Dragoons, a REAL Merc unit *cough* Oh look the GDL, how lovely!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users