6 replies to this topic

#1 auniqueid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts
  • LocationUSA east coast

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

an loading it out with a mix of lr/mr pulse weps... thoughts?

#2 MooBi

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

I've got 8Q, tried it with 6 LLs. the heat is at 0,95 with DHS and SEngine265. Played few games and the thing is the heating issue and dmg output on the laser as its a bit hard to concentrate long range target for optimum dmg. I will gonna try to make LPL build with some mediums in it or PPC version.

(Tried 2 ERPPC and 4 PPC loadout) 1 alpha shot means almost armor gone from enemy, but you overheat immediatly :blink:)

#3 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Going to offer my opinion, but take what information I give you with a grain of salt, as these are not hard-fast rules but general observations.

1) The Awesome is the easiest to kill assault mech going. The reason is in it's general design, not it's stats. The face plate is a known weakness that is easy to exploit due to it's position and size, do even if they dont hit your head they are hitting torso sections that are probably already wounded. It doesn't help that the range you will be fighting at will put you at the best possible distance to shoot an Awesome in it's face. So your best range is also working against you.

2) There is a reason PGI designed the Awesome with that weakness. There is a reason why the default load-outs are primarily support. It's alot harder to hit the face-plate at 900m than it is at 250m.

3) You will do great amounts of damage with the load out, so it's not inconcievable for you to do well with the build. The big thing is that you'll be generating alot of heat, with alot of 'lighter' weaponry, so you may want to consider taking a faster engine to let you get to cover, position, and be able to torso twist to spread the damage out.

4) Depending on the weapon's mix, you probably will not be able to make use of most of the locations in your mech. You'll probably need double heat sinks so you'll find space is going to be an issue as you'll have several 1-2 slots left over in locations, depending on your weapon load out (I know it frustrates me that I cant use those 2 slots in the legs and CT for DHS).

5) You're an Awesome, you're a big wide target that screams 'shoot me'. Putting yourself in a skirmish/brawl position is going to attract alot of attention in larger melees.

6) If you're good with heat managment, you'll probably be able to sustain damage output for quite some time since your heat would be steadily rising rather than spiking, making overheats and shutdowns less of an issue.

7) The better you are with heat managment, the more you can afford to go higher burst damage, lower sustainability. (That high opening burst can be the thing that saves you alot of trouble, sheering of Hunchie's shoulders, cutting into AC20 locations, cutting off a Centy or Dragon's arm, etc).

8) Because you've increased your chances of getting into a melee, you'll need more back armour. Where as the 8Q usually does it's job from afar where most firepower is coming straight at it, you'll be taking more shots in the back than usual, and probably by something with more punch, so expect the mech to feel 'softer'.

9) If you are still not use to brawling with an assault mech, the Awesome is not going to be one of the easiest experiences you'll have.

10) Make use of your shield-arm (The one on the left), it's going to be the one thing that's going to let you take more damage than you rightfully should by taking straight shots all day.

11) Your Sword-Arm and Right Torso are going to be the primary targets if your head is too tricky to shoot. This is going to cut into your firepower drasticly, so when laying out weapons, consider that your Left Torso may be a safer place to put in your heavier weapons and your Right torso should be a little lighter on weapons.

12) If you are going the Double Heat Sink route, know that the space you have to work with is finite. If you intend on using your Shield-Arm exstensivly, try to avoid putting DHS in there. Your intention is to loose that left-arm, so there is no point in giving yourself heat problems by losing your DHSs too.

Anyway, knee-jerk reactionary thoughts, that's what comes to mind.

Personally, I play with a 2x ER PPC with a focus on heat management. It's worked out great for me so far, and while not being the top damager of my mechs, it is effective as suppression and sniping, able to cause alot of worry and gain control of the field. It's basic, but with the right upgrades and some trigger-control, you'll do fine with it.

#4 Ranak Dagmar

• Pip
  • The Hammer
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSomewhere, northern midwest US

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

I LOVE my 8Q...and here is why:

2 ERPPC's
2 Large Pulse Lasers
2 Med Pulse Lasers
1 Med Laser
DHS
XL290

The heat profile is frightening, unless you think of it as 2 weapon systems. ERPPC's = indirect fire support, and can fire 4 times before overheat...by that time you need to reposition as the LRM's/scouts have found you.

Lasers = brawl/escape weapons. For lights, Gunner skill+ pulse lasers wipes the smug right off the Jenner pilots faces. I would put 3med Pulses but I didn't want to shed a DHS to do so- did I mention this runs hot. I "mini" alpha the laser groups to take off pesky light/medium limbs. Lagshield providing...

As stated above, postioning in a battle is key as this is primarily a support mech. Can it Brawl? Yes it can and it can Alpha at 58 and be at 85% on the heat scale. Medium lasers let you escape while inflicting damage.

If you keep it Moving and twisting, it is plenty durable. One should always be seeking to reposition outside the brawl, say 2-400m, as a rule with any Awsome build.

As stated above, Awsomes feel "fragile" if you stand them in front of several mediums or an An Atlas. Don't do it...think of it as an overpowered Medium mech and keep it moving and you will inch up to the top of the damage/xp list.

#5 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

From the above posts, the Awesome sounds like an 80 Ton Centurion-AL, with a much bigger hitbox.

Edited by Stingz, 17 November 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#6 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

I had great success with 2LL, 5ML. Use the LL's at range, mix it up with the ML's when anything starts to get in your face.

#7 Brock Rockhard

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationTraining Yard, Hofn

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Also, some builds here.

I hope I'm helpful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users