Streaks & Light Mechs

6 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

First idea is to help with light mechs. Let's put a hard speed cap in the game that is low enough that the "lag shield" goes away. Work as hard as we can on fixing hit detection and hit boxes and "netcode", but until we DO fix it cap speed at the highest number that the game can support. There is no point in letting mechs go 150KM/H if you have to aim 4 mech lengths ahead to hit them.

If you don't need the lag shield to succeed then you won't mind losing it. I feel horrible using my Jenner these days because even if I don't do it on purpose it's just so abusive. No one can hit me and it's not because I'm a good pilot, it's because they have to shoot the air in front of me at a nebulous, variable point and basically get lucky to kill me. Capping speed would be a really great move until the netcode works better. We can't have another 2-6 weeks of this crap.

Second idea is for streaks, right now I think they are really OP because of the level of damage they provide and their killing power compared to the skill needed to use them. I think they should randomly target EVERY non-head component on a mech instead of just the torsos. Light mechs haven't got a lot of armor and they will still go down hard to streaks, hell it might actually leg them out pretty hard and turn out to be even more OP for light hunting... But it would make them useless against most mediums and anything bigger especially. Streaks should be used for killing lights and THATS IT, they should not be better than SRM6s for coring out heavy duty enemies.

To make up for the random targeting and to add some SKILL to streaks, make them work with NARC so that if someone is NARCd and you lock them, the component with the NARC on it turns neon green or something or blinks on the targetting display so you know which component the NARC is on, and then have all the missiles target that component. That way if it's on a component you don't care about you can shoot a different target (maybe have a key you can press to toggle NARC targeting vs. Random targeting, like missile bay doors). That adds some skill in either shooting your own NARC on someones CT and then owning them or in coordinating with a friend to have him do it for you in his light/etc.

This also makes NARC not so completely useless compared to TAG, as TAG would not have this effect.

#2 zenstrata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLots of different places

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

I think streaks are fine the way they are. They operate much like an LRM, just with a Much shorter range and slightly more power per missile. Canon on streaks is that they do hit once they have locks. Thats just what streaks do.

If I were to change anything I would say allow the user to lock on to an individual part of the enemy, such as the arm, head, leg, etc. and have them automatically aim toward that specific component. I remember this was how they operated in old games and I was happy with them there.

However this may be slightly too much. But as they are, they are currently fine in terms of damage, hit ratio, range, etc. You may be interested in the community poll on this topic in the general forums. http://mwomercs.com/...treak-missiles/ It includes a poll in which the vast majority of respondants voted that streaks are fine as they are with this current patch.

#3 CoolHandLuke106881

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

I have centurion builds with 3xssrm2 and others with 2xsrm6+A. the srm6 build consistently gets 35% more damage per match than the ssrm build. The cost, of course is that its much harder to kill lights, so I focus on slower moving targets with the srm6 option. That sounds to me like they already work the way you are suggesting.

#4 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 21 November 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

First idea is to help with light mechs. Let's put a hard speed cap in the game that is low enough that the "lag shield" goes away. Work as hard as we can on fixing hit detection and hit boxes and "netcode", but until we DO fix it cap speed at the highest number that the game can support. There is no point in letting mechs go 150KM/H if you have to aim 4 mech lengths ahead to hit them.

If you don't need the lag shield to succeed then you won't mind losing it. I feel horrible using my Jenner these days because even if I don't do it on purpose it's just so abusive. No one can hit me and it's not because I'm a good pilot, it's because they have to shoot the air in front of me at a nebulous, variable point and basically get lucky to kill me. Capping speed would be a really great move until the netcode works better. We can't have another 2-6 weeks of this crap.

I agree completely. I suggested a while back to increase the engine size requirement of the jenner for its speed. This makes the jenner not able to load a 100kph+ engine, full armor and 6 medium lasers but instead makes the jenner have to choose between speed or firepower/armor....just like all the other mechs do.

Second idea is for streaks, right now I think they are really OP because of the level of damage they provide and their killing power compared to the skill needed to use them. I think they should randomly target EVERY non-head component on a mech instead of just the torsos. .... Streaks should be used for killing lights and THATS IT, they should not be better than SRM6s for coring out heavy duty enemies.

Thats how they work now after the patch fix.

To make up for the random targeting and to add some SKILL to streaks, make them work with NARC so that if someone is NARCd and you lock them, the component with the NARC on it turns neon green or something or blinks on the targetting display so you know which component the NARC is on, and then have all the missiles target that component.
This also makes NARC not so completely useless compared to TAG, as TAG would not have this effect.

Actually it should be the other way around IMO. The NARC is a beacon so having it hit should simply have the enhanced homing & lock time that the TAG currently has.

TAG on the other hand, should be the one and only tool that GUIDES the missiles at a specific component. It is a permanent-lase beam and it is damn hard to keep it aimed at a moving target. However, a scout that sneaks behind a mech and tags it in silence should make those missiles hit SO hard in one location that the scout's efforts are worth it.

#5 Imagine Dragons

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

-shrug-

They could bump the damage down to TT levels, which is 2 instead of 2.5. *per missile*

I mean these Streak SRMs weigh/contain the same amount of missles per ton as normal SRMs, yet they have a guidance system that is -magically- weightless and occupies no space?

Edited by XenomorphZZ, 21 November 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#6 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostXenomorphZZ, on 21 November 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

-shrug-

They could bump the damage down to TT levels, which is 2 instead of 2.5.

I mean these Streak SRMs weigh/contain the same amount of missles per ton as normal SRMs, yet they have a guidance system that is -magically- weightless and occupies no space?

uh..no.. the SSRM does 5 total per volley (firing 2 or 3 missiles per volley). An SRM2 does the same 5 damage, does the same heat and the launcher weighs .5 less. The ammo is what is different..the ammo of the SRM2 is dirt cheap compared to the very expensive SSRM ammo.

SRM 4 and 5's do 2 and 3 times the damage of the SSRM per volley respectively.

#7 Imagine Dragons

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostSkyfaller, on 21 November 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

uh..no.. the SSRM does 5 total per volley (firing 2 or 3 missiles per volley). An SRM2 does the same 5 damage, does the same heat and the launcher weighs .5 less. The ammo is what is different..the ammo of the SRM2 is dirt cheap compared to the very expensive SSRM ammo.

SRM 4 and 5's do 2 and 3 times the damage of the SSRM per volley respectively.

Its 2 missiles, each missile doing 2.5 damage each.

SRMs are dumbfire analog RPG-7s

SSRMs are the same RPG-7s that "magically" have tracking systems attached to the missile. They just happen to be more expensive and the launcher weighs 50% more.

So, tell me again how a missile (that can barely stabilize its own flight, let alone track any targets) suddenly has near perfect accuracy, when the only change was the launcher becoming more heavier. Without sacrificing range/damage/space.

Edited by XenomorphZZ, 21 November 2012 - 11:13 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users