18 replies to this topic

#1 MrPenguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

I've been looking to get an assault mech since its the only class of mech I have not touched yet. Is there any specific ones(variants) the community recommends? I find it better to ask first then to blow the colossal amount of cash it takes to actually buy one.

Edited by MrPenguin, 21 November 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#2 Buck Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Atlas

#3 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

I don't know. I'm sure other people have had better results, but I've been largely disappointed with my AWE-9M. I like to think of it as my 11 million C-bill goldbrick. So maybe not that one?

#4 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 21 November 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

I don't know. I'm sure other people have had better results, but I've been largely disappointed with my AWE-9M. I like to think of it as my 11 million C-bill goldbrick. So maybe not that one?

I love mine. Standard 350, 1 LL, 3 ML, 3 streaks, destroyer of worlds!

#5 Lanessar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

It really depends on what sort of role you'd like to fill.

I'm a big fan of the Awesome 8R - 4 missile slots, 3 energy hardpoints (2 in the arms). This allows for either LRM boat (4xLRM20, 2xLRM10+2xLRM15's, 2 ML) or brawler builds (2 MPLs in the arm, 4xSRM6), and you can switch back and forth as neccessary.

Otherwise, you're looking at an Atlas, RS or D variants recommended. 4xMPL or LL in the arms, LRM + SRM + Gauss combo for "dirty work". D variant is good at stock or slightly modified (I think I saw a dual AC/5 or UAC/5 + AC/5 combo running about that does incredibly well).

Both are great assaults; stay away from PPCs as a general rule. You'll get more bang for the buck from LL MPL or ML - stay away from "ER" or Large pulse until the heat issues get balanced out.

#6 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostLanessar, on 21 November 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

It really depends on what sort of role you'd like to fill.

I'm a big fan of the Awesome 8R - 4 missile slots, 3 energy hardpoints (2 in the arms). This allows for either LRM boat (4xLRM20, 2xLRM10+2xLRM15's, 2 ML) or brawler builds (2 MPLs in the arm, 4xSRM6), and you can switch back and forth as neccessary.

Otherwise, you're looking at an Atlas, RS or D variants recommended. 4xMPL or LL in the arms, LRM + SRM + Gauss combo for "dirty work". D variant is good at stock or slightly modified (I think I saw a dual AC/5 or UAC/5 + AC/5 combo running about that does incredibly well).

Both are great assaults; stay away from PPCs as a general rule. You'll get more bang for the buck from LL MPL or ML - stay away from "ER" or Large pulse until the heat issues get balanced out.

Thanks. Was just looking for a good brawler that I could switch out to some kind of long range role if need be.

Edited by MrPenguin, 21 November 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#7 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Check out my guide for 4 different atlas builds. Maybe one of them is something you like.

http://mwomercs.com/...n-atlas-builds/

#8 Lanessar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostMrPenguin, on 21 November 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Thanks. Was just looking for a good brawler that I could switch out to some kind of long range role if need be.

Then An Atlas RS or D will work (2 missle slots, I'd go for the RS with 4 energy hardpoints on the arm).

Alternatively, the AWS-8R will work well, or the 8V. I'd go with the 8R- three missile hardpoints in one torso doesn't work great with both brawling and support (fitting 3 LRM 20s, for example). The 8R having 2 LT and 2 RT just seems to balance out better, whether you're firing SRM6 or LRM15/20s. The arms have enough space for ERPPCs, LL, MPLs... so it's pretty versatile.

#9 Dormax

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostLanessar, on 21 November 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

Completely agree. It's not the best mech for everyone, but it's one of my personal favorites with 3 ML and 4 SRM6 -- tears some mech up at point blank range. Use an XL engine and lots of cover to quickly get in close (or as fast as this tank moves LOL). (Example: I came on Hunchie standing still, behind a rock on Forest Colony. Unloaded 3 alphas into him and both arms/torsos shredded and flew off before it collapsed in a heap.)

Can always swap out for an LRM build too. I've used 2 LRM 15's and 2 LRM 10's with lasers for close-up. The only problem I had with that design was heat management -- but that's understandable when launching 50 missiles every few seconds.

#10 Child3k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

@Example: Err ... yeah. Happening upon a HBK's back while he's standing still waiting for ... I don't know. That sound like a siuation you're finding yourself in constantly when piloting an AWS ;)

#11 Random Incarnate

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

The AWS-9M goes fast, and packs a lot of punch. Can take out an Altas, but don't even try going toe-to-toe. Much easier to harass Cats, scare away Dragons (they're still too fast to chase) and eat Mediums. I run it with an ER PPC, 2 LL, and 3 SSRM. I like the ER PPC for the focused damage at any range.

The 8R is facepunch, with 4 SRM6s (I run mine with Artemis so I stop losing half of them to the ground), and 3 MPL. Needs a bigger engine than I've got, though. I also ran a 4 LL 8Q, wasn't spectacular.

The Atlas, however - great for superiority in the 60-100 ton range. Smaller 'Mechs will get on your nerves without SSRMs, LBX or MPLs. Expect to die to a lone Jenner at your back. Feels more like an Assault than the Awesome.

#12 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

So... as an LRM boat... the awesome 8R is really good as one?

the problem I have with an atlas, is that since I don't have premium. I probably can't afford the repair bills for it.

#13 Thrak

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

A damaged atlas is cheaper to repair than a cored awesome ;)

#14 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostThrak, on 22 November 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

A damaged atlas is cheaper to repair than a cored awesome ;)

Really?
I would have thought awesomes where significantly cheaper to repair.
If thats the case, I would much rather go with saving up for an atlas DC.

#15 Flintstone

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

I say Peacekeeper ----> http://www.sarna.net...per_(BattleMech)

#16 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have three Atlases and I absolutely love each of them. I've tried to use the Awesome and I just don't like it. May be personal taste I don't know. An atlas among-st other atlases or among st a team which will watch your back is a terrifying prospect.

#17 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Atlas is the sturdiest and most flexible since it has multiple weapon hardpoints (can use any weapon) but it can't boat well.

If you want to move faster or you like boating energy or missile weapons, go look at one of the Awesomes.

#18 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Ended up going with the 8R. I tried an LRM boat build but I found it boring, so I went with a brawler like build. 2 large lasers, a small laser, 2 SRM 6 and 2 SSRM 2's. I was pretty much intent on selling the awesome at this point because people swore that it was a terrible brawler and couldn't stand up to an atlas.

In the end, saying the build was effective is an understatement. I absolutely wrecked fools and my armor always held up. I also scored the most kills and damage. (Would have screen capped, but the print screen key on this keyboard is rather odd and I still haven't figured it out) Now I'm rather confused as to why people think its bad. This Awesome is currently on track to becoming my favorite mech at this rate! Of course, Il still get an Atlas. But this awesome will more then do for now :wub:

#19 Lanessar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostMrPenguin, on 23 November 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

Ended up going with the 8R. I tried an LRM boat build but I found it boring, so I went with a brawler like build. 2 large lasers, a small laser, 2 SRM 6 and 2 SSRM 2's. I was pretty much intent on selling the awesome at this point because people swore that it was a terrible brawler and couldn't stand up to an atlas.

In the end, saying the build was effective is an understatement. I absolutely wrecked fools and my armor always held up. I also scored the most kills and damage. (Would have screen capped, but the print screen key on this keyboard is rather odd and I still haven't figured it out) Now I'm rather confused as to why people think its bad. This Awesome is currently on track to becoming my favorite mech at this rate! Of course, Il still get an Atlas. But this awesome will more then do for now :wub:

Yes, as a Brawler, with the 4xSRM6, you really can't go wrong with the 8R. You went with the LLs, which was my next suggestion.

I remember cresting the ridge in Caustic to come face-to-face with a brawler Atlas - and gave him 24 SRMs to the face. I've never seen a Mech go into reverse so quickly. He was pretty vocal about going orange on his torso with one salvo and "wth are you packing in that thing??"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users