The Technology of battltech

27 replies to this topic

#21 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

View PostPht, on 20 November 2011 - 03:45 PM, said:

You might almost be more correct if these were called "armor bending" attacks.

Basically, in that right, the armor acts like glass - it's insanely hard and strong, but because it's so hard, it can't handle bending, so when a 'Mech fist or such hits it the panel bends and the outer two layers "explode" not in a manner unlike how a tempered multi-layer car windshield will when the panel bends beyond its shattering limit, leaving you with little bits of the outer two armor layers clinging to the lower titanium support layer (that is, if the attack doesn't breach the titanium layer too.

Also, you seem to have missed the polymer sealant layer that is behind the titanium layer; it is the layer that allows 'Mechs to conduct underwater and space combat - it seals the inside of the 'Mech.

This seems reasonable the armor is described as brittle, which IIRC typically dose not like being bent.

And yes I did seem to forget the polymer sealant layer, though the grammar ***** would have a field day with my posts, with all of the grammar errors in my posts...

Is their anything you guys want me to describe a bit better, clarify, or something I have not mentioned?

#22 Zureal

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Im loving this thread :) Also, another thing that would help explain why same engines for different sized mechs weigh more is simple. bigger mechs almost always have more weapons, so you need more power to use them. Just my 2 C-bills

#23 Zureal

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

View PostNebfer, on 20 November 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

Is their anything you guys want me to describe a bit better, clarify, or something I have not mentioned?

why is it that vehicle engines weigh more? that particular thing has always confused me, hell, i always thought that vehicle engines should weigh less if anything, there are less connected components than on a mech after all.

#24 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

Probably "fluff" to nerf vehicles so that they did not compete with mechs - in general vehicles are cheaper yet mount the same weapons so you can have more of them.

#25 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

The speed in kph is 10.8 x MP (or in this case the max MP the unit can go with out engine mods). And a Urban mech with a speed demon pilot (no rules indicating that "slow" mechs are prohibited, though the general rules overview mentions that ability's should try to match the pilots preferred ride, so a urban mech pilot with the speed demon ability should be rare to say the lest.) would be able have an extra two MPs, add in a navigation satellite while sprinting, and that urban mech should be able to move up to seven hexes a turn, unlikely but possible. So 7 x 10.8 = 75.6

Alright then, how's this:
It makes no sense that an Urbie/Annihilator would get a far greater relative bonus from those PSAs than an LCT-6M Locust would.

#26 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

View PostZureal, on 20 November 2011 - 10:37 PM, said:

why is it that vehicle engines weigh more? that particular thing has always confused me, hell, i always thought that vehicle engines should weigh less if anything, there are less connected components than on a mech after all.
This is hard to say why vehicle engines are so heavy, the obvious explanation is an obvious Nerf to make mechs better.

Though all engines contain more than just a engine... Fuel tanks, Drive trains and so on...

View PostAlizabeth Aijou, on 21 November 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

Alright then, how's this:
It makes no sense that an Urbie/Annihilator would get a far greater relative bonus from those PSAs than an LCT-6M Locust would.
Well I would agree with you their, but that is what the rules say.

Edit:
Oh here's something interesting I just found
Natural Selection CH 36

The ferrocrete of the landing pad had been poured over a metric quarter-ton of plastic explosive shaped in a cylinder and centered beneath the circle at the heart of the pad. When Ragnar hit a switch on the command console of his Viper, the plastique detonated. It blew up and out with a force that would have registered 5.2 on the Richter scale, vaporizing the ferrocrete and shooting a fiery plume half a kilometer into the air.

A 5.2 on the Richter scale would equal about a kiloton (though depending on some sources thats a 4.0).

So we are looking at a single kilogram of this explosive being equal to four tons of TNT!

Edited by Nebfer, 28 November 2011 - 02:25 PM.

#27 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

A good deal of what was science fiction in the 80's is becoming science fact today

Ceramet armour

http://eagar.mit.edu...rs/Eagar070.pdf

Fusion reactors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polywell

A polywell device is a type of fusion reactor that was originated by Robert Bussard under a U.S. Navy research contract. It traps electrons in a magnetic confinement inside its hollow center. The negatively charged electrons then accelerate positively charged ions for the purpose of achieving inertial electrostatic confinement fusion. The polywell device can trace its development to the ideas behind the Farnsworth-Hirsch Fusor Bussard theorized that this device could potentially generate net energy production and thus become a source for electric power.

Transparisteel

http://www.dailytech...article9181.htm

Researchers invent nanosheet polymer that is transparent and as strong as steel

Neuro helmet

http://singularityhu...their-thoughts/

Scientists have created a brain implant that not only allows monkeys to control a computer with their thoughts, it also allows them to “feel” the virtual objects. The new, two-way, brain-machine-brain interface represents a major breakthrough in the field of neuroprosthetics. Bolstered by the results, the scientists plan to test the technology on a quadriplegic in just three years.
There have been a number of advances in brain-machine-interface (BMI) research in recent years. Implants have allowed monkeys to control computer cursors and even a robotic arm with impressive precision. In the current study, two macaques were trained to control a virtual arm on the computer screen and use it to “grasp” virtual objects. What separates these macaques from past BMI trainees is that, when their virtual hands contacted the virtual objects they were able to “feel” the objects.

Myomer muscle

http://en.wikipedia....tificial_Muscle

Another one of the most common applications for EAPs is in the field of robotics in the development of artificial muscles

Not exactly building mechs yet, but these technologys are basic proof of concept of some of the components we've all come to know from the BT universe

Edited by [CG]Anastasius Focht, 28 November 2011 - 08:14 PM.

#28 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

Ah Nebfer from Space Battles.
I always loved his Btech calcs post :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users