Ask The Devs 1 - Questions!

58 replies to this topic

#41 New Breed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

Even though the game will be free to play, any chance of some kind of digital collectors edition?.

#42 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCleaning 10-year old dust out of Cockpit!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

In regards to the developments involving canon named Unit's name change.

While we understand that many Units may now have to rename themselves, there is a second valid issue that will arise from this. Personal name changes, and I'm not discussing canon names in this thread, although I imagine that those too, will be a topic that will need to be addressed at some point. Just wanted to make that clear.

There are, throughout the community, members that have registered in this community with a name that includes their Unit name initials. It has already been stated, that members here, cannot change their names. Now, here is where the problem is going to arise. There are already 90,000+ members registered, therefore these players that are going to have to drop their initials, are going to have an extremely if not impossible time in getting their "personal" names because someone else now already has them. They are now, not only dissapointed that they have to drop the Unit initials, but now risk losing the "personal" name that everyone here as come to know them by. My question then, I guess, is this. How will name changes be handled here. Will exceptions now be made, for changes to be made with their new Unit Initials attached to their "personal" name, or will they basically have to start all over, with a brand new name? If changes are allowed, the issue then basically stops there.

If changes here are not allowed, another issue will arise. There has been discussion that there is a possibility that canon Merc Units MAY go to factions. While some players may not have an issue with that, others may. Let's say, most members of a particular unit decide that through the Unit's name change, decide to stay as a non-factioned Merc Unit. However, there may be some, that want to stay with the now possible factioned Merc Unit. Are they going to be allowed to change their affiliation?

Also, for those Merc Units that may not have already created their own website/forums off-site, how are Unit Leaders to know if someone IS who they say they were? (ie. Player [unit tag][player tag] comes in and states, "I used to be [unit tag][player xyz] but had to change my name and am now [new unit tag][player abc]. How are the Unit Leaders to know that they are one and the same, and not someone completely new, or someone defecting from another unit?

I realize that there is probably much discussion going on in the "Office" concerning the Unit name changes, but I wanted you to also be aware of the "trickle down" issues involving these decisions. We look forward to hearing how these issues will be resolved.

Thank you for your time in reading your community's concerns, and keep up the great work, as you continue to give us the much awaited for Mechwarrior gaming experience.

edited for spelling error

Edited by Morgana, 05 May 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#43 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Will we be able to have more than one 'character' per account and will those 'characters' be able to be in different factions?

How many factions are there going to be at launch? Just the five houses and Free Rassalhauge Republic? I've noticed ISS posts about other sections of space, and periphery pirates would be cool as well, thus my question.

#44 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

When a Mercenary Corporation has to perform defensive duties on a planet they are currently garrisoning, how much of a notice will they receive before the game is scheduled to take place? Will they know 24 hours in advance that the planet they recently captured is being invaded by a rival Mercenary Corp? 48 hours? 1 week?

Certainly this number isn't set in stone, yet; I am just wondering in what direction you guys are going with this... it could be a vicious, day-by-day fighting environment where the same secondary planets ("Border Worlds," as described in the Dev Blogs) can change hands up to three or four times a week, or the number of viable Border Worlds could be so large that one might spend weeks in a Company's hands, completely unopposed by rival Companies.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 05 May 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#45 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

From dev comments on the forums and devblogs, I've come to understand that there will be some key differences in the way merc corps will be able to manage themselves as opposed to how house troops will function. Can you elaborate on this a bit? e.g. What sorts of tools will merc commanders have available? How will contracts work (single objection or signing on for a longer duration "campaign" with a house?) Will house troops have any ability to band together with online friends and function as units together, or are they just in a grab-bag?

#46 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Going to throw you a slow pitch softball question, expound on it as you see fit :P

Q: "Is the game fun?"

Cheers.

Spoiler

#47 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

I got a question, this one is more for Bryan or Russ.

Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza was released 10 years ago, and in anticipation for MWO I've watched Die Hard and played DH:NP.

Besides the effort of new members on your team, what do you feel that you're able to bring to MWO due to your experiences since the release of DH:NP? Is there anything that NP taught you (either in its release and reception or development) that you think you'll be able to incorporate into the development of MWO that will make this an enjoyable game?

Bonus question(s):
Are you still proud of your work on NP? Would you still undertake that project today given the chance?

Edited by Motionless, 05 May 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#48 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

I'll try to keep this short and sweet:

Can you go into greater detail about map design and specifically how do you plan on making it so that we'll see a greater variety of play-styles and strategies used?

#49 Magi4S34S

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet or not but, I was wondering what the support for joysticks is going to be. I saw in the screens of the beta people are using keyboard and mice but will there be support for joysticks or a special joystick released?

#50 Belisarius1

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Can you walk through the matchmaking process as currently envisioned?

Specifically interested in what kind of information is available at contract selection, how lone wolves/mercs are different to faction players, and whether there will be some kind of lobby in which changes can be made post-mm and pre-drop.

Edited by Belisarius†, 05 May 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#51 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

View PostMagi4S34S, on 05 May 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet or not but, I was wondering what the support for joysticks is going to be. I saw in the screens of the beta people are using keyboard and mice but will there be support for joysticks or a special joystick released?

No special joystick, but all forms of controllers should be compatible (maybe not gamepads). :P

#52 neodym

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Locationready to help with closed beta

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

I just realized only two questions will be picked and I am 99.9% sure it wont be any of my questions.... ^_^

#53 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:38 AM

Simple question that probably deserves and could get a big answer.

Could you give us more information about battlemech variants?

#54 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

One word: quadruped mechs?

#55 Qman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationCanberra. Oz

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hello and thank you for the chance to ask questions.

Could you go into further detail about how performing well in a chosen role will impact on c bills and xp rewards gains. And will working as a lance have a increase in reward returns.

Qman.

#56 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

How will grouping work within faction units? If we join a faction unit, will we be able to make a preform group and all drop together? Or is grouping in faction units random? If we can make preform groups, can members from different units within the same faction group together? ie...Let's say a friend and I are both members of House Davion. I join the Avalon Hussars but after working his rear off he manages to earn a spot in the Davion Brigade of Guards. Will we still be able to group together on drops? Or are preform groups limited to merc corps only?

#57 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

As there have been several threads on the subject (here, here, here, here, here, here, and here)...

How will recycle time and damage/heat per salvo for the weapons in MWO be determined - will the recycle times for MWO be more similar to those given in the Solaris VII duel rules or to those in the previous MechWarrior games (most notably MW3 and MW4), and will each weapon in MWO generate its listed damage and heat (as listed in the BattleTech rulebooks and Sarna.net's Weapons and Equipment Lists) with each salvo, or will the per-salvo damage/heat be reduced to maintain the rates implied by the BattleTech rules?

#58 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

Gathering Questions for Answers.

#59 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hope you guys enjoyed that, I'll open the second one soon!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users