[Suggestion] Streak Smr2 Balance

5 replies to this topic

#1 Prophanity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Apologies, I know there have been hundreds of posts regarding streaks and their boating on good old A1s, but rather than belly aching, or screaming that I'm going to abuse the s*** out of them until they're fixed I figured I'd post an idea.

There are three things which makes streaks over powered:

1) Multi-directional fire - if you maintain the lock, they will fly towards the target regardless where you look.

2) Rocking - the camera shake they can cause would make someone who suffers from motion sickness vomit all over their keyboard.

3) - Explosion FX - the explosion effect, followed by the screen turning dark is frankly an infuriating and uneeded effect. I imagine the person who thought it was a good idea was the same d**k weasal who thought the film grain was nifty.

Fix the above three, and the Streak-a-pault is renegated back to what it originally was: a light mech eating machine.

The damage, splash, heat and spread of the imapct is all fine and doesn't need to be touched.

If you've read this far, please feel free to comment below with your own ideas!

#2 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Please move suggestions to the Suggestion Forum.

#3 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

The fact that streak cats can rock 6 of them for a paltry 9 tons allows them to be fast, well-armored, and heat efficient. The problem *is* the weapon, not the chassis, as the same chassis rocking 6 of any other missile weapon system is not nearly so deadly. SRM6-boat cats shut themselves down after a few salvos, and actually have to aim. LRM-boat cats have all of the benefits and drawbacks of LRMs, and generally don't pump out the raw damage that streak cats do.

Streaks do entirely too much damage for a 1.5 ton weapon system that requires zero skill to use. Nothing other than a damage nerf is going to solve this disparity.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

The screen darkening is a bug, not a feature, and it is not attributed solely to SSRM.

#5 Aquilus

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Agreed, the Streaks are a bit over the top at the moment. The main thing for me is how easy it is to maintain a lock. If you had to constantly track the target instead of being vaguely near it would make it a lot more skillful to use, and probably more fun as well. The lack of any aiming or tracking is really annoying when I play my JR7-D, so much that I often just go for the JR7-F only because I actually want to aim. The problem is of course that the netcode won't allow me to hunt other lights as effectively that way, so I usually stick to the D.

EDIT: Also, the cockpit shake of chain-fired SSRMs is ridiculous. I hope they implement scaling based on damage, so that 1 SSRM hitting you will barely phase you, while a larger amount will shake you like the current implementation.

Edited by Aquilus, 23 November 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#6 Prophanity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostAquilus, on 23 November 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

The main thing for me is how easy it is to maintain a lock. If you had to constantly track the target instead of being vaguely near it would make it a lot more skillful to use

Not a bad idea. How about also not being able to lock onto the target until within the effective range of 270 meters?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users