Lrm20's Or Lrm15 With Artemis?

10 replies to this topic

#1 AHZeruel

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I'm puloting a Catapult C4 with 2xLRM20, 2xSSRM2 and 2xMed Lasers, with DHS i m loving missile support so far, im usually shooting from behind our lines at targets 500 meters ahead, keeping streaks and lassers for close combat and scouts , but im suffering a bit from overheating and ammo shortage, but i really really love the power of LRM20's.

for ammo and heat, should i go for LRM15 with artemis? Or keep the regular LRM 20? or even upgrade them via Artemis?

#2 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Extra firepower doesn't do you any good if heat is a problem. If it's bad, I'd downgrade to LRM15s w/Artemis.

#3 AHZeruel

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

View Postcache, on 23 November 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Extra firepower doesn't do you any good if heat is a problem. If it's bad, I'd downgrade to LRM15s w/Artemis.

It's not actually that bad, thanks to the 11 DHS i can shoot 4-5 alphas (3-4 in Caustic Valley), im planning on adding another one or 2 once i get the XL Engine.Do you have some experience with Artemis and LRM20's and 15's? ;) id love to know how it worked out for you

#4 Doom Rider

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

The thing to keep in mind is that you're going to be paying out the nose for Artemis rounds. If C-Bills are an issue I'd keep the LRM20s.

#5 Euphor Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOz (Australia)

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

i love the LRM20's
i got my founders cat with 2xlrm20 + artemis and lovin it
i got two Mlas in CT and one Slas in each side torso for close support

you need good spotters with LRMs, and the extra price of the ammo with artemis, you really don't want to be wasting shots...

the missiles will almost always hit if you keep the lock on. even decimating lights if they can't break the lock.

i have 4 tons ammo (plus an xl300) so if i get wasted totally, my repair bill is huge, and on a loss i'm lucky to break even, but even so, its quite a fun ride. (still saving up for DHS)

that said, i on;y have two missile points, so you got the option of streaks for backup.

oh i should note that you're only even shooting the LRMs or the Lasers at one time, so heat isn't a problem with me...

Edited by Euphor Kell, 23 November 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#6 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostAHZeruel, on 23 November 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

It's not actually that bad, thanks to the 11 DHS i can shoot 4-5 alphas (3-4 in Caustic Valley), im planning on adding another one or 2 once i get the XL Engine.Do you have some experience with Artemis and LRM20's and 15's? ;) id love to know how it worked out for you

Be wary of the XL engine, once you lose a side torso, your engine explodes and you die.

#7 xenonblade

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostRyvucz, on 23 November 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

Be wary of the XL engine, once you lose a side torso, your engine explodes and you die.

In a Catapult, that's generally fine. From the front, your side torsos are just about impossible to hit (speaking from experience from the inside of a Jenner), and if you're exposing your back, you're doing it wrong.

#8 Euphor Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOz (Australia)

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

View Postxenonblade, on 23 November 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

In a Catapult, that's generally fine. From the front, your side torsos are just about impossible to hit (speaking from experience from the inside of a Jenner), and if you're exposing your back, you're doing it wrong.

thats true, but the other thing you really have to watch for is ammo explosions.
if you keep your ammo in your side torsos then you're as good as dead should you overheat too much, one bit of cooked off ammo and kaboom, case or no.

#9 Malegrim

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yes Artemis is worth it if you have LRM15s or 20s. More of your missiles will hit and in fewer locations on the mech.

Dual 20s are great because you can more easily overload AMS although I sometimes do switch to 15s to add more ammo and control heat so I can rapid launch LRMs all day without overheating or running out of ammo.

In general it depends on your play style. If you find yourself overheating and/or always running low on ammo well before the game is over, drop to 15s and add ammo

If you find you end games and still have ammo left most of the time and are good at managing heat, step up to the 20s

#10 Euphor Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOz (Australia)

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostMalegrim, on 24 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

In general it depends on your play style. If you find yourself overheating and/or always running low on ammo well before the game is over, drop to 15s and add ammo

thats what backup weapons are for

#11 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostAHZeruel, on 23 November 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I'm puloting a Catapult C4 with 2xLRM20, 2xSSRM2 and 2xMed Lasers, with DHS i m loving missile support so far, im usually shooting from behind our lines at targets 500 meters ahead, keeping streaks and lassers for close combat and scouts , but im suffering a bit from overheating and ammo shortage, but i really really love the power of LRM20's.

for ammo and heat, should i go for LRM15 with artemis? Or keep the regular LRM 20? or even upgrade them via Artemis?

I just bought the C4 today and am running a very similar build. At first I added endo steel, DHS, 2 streaks, a ton of ammo and BAP. This did OK but the heat was still kinda high, the armor was still low, and my missiles where always waisted on lock loss.

I then took out the 300 XL from my other catapult down graded the LRM20s to 15s, put in two med pulse, a second ton of streak ammo and two heat sinks. I did well on caustic valley, my next match after the switch. The LRM20 puts out a crap load of missiles but it weighs ten tons and causes a lot of heat. The weight and heat saved by the 15s really made up for the damage loss. The 15s also use less ammo per shot so it is a little more forgiving when missiles hit dirt due to losing lock.

edit
Forgot to mention I added enough armor to max every location but the legs. The catapult needs to protect its arms.

Edited by Dirus Nigh, 25 November 2012 - 03:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users