Do You Really Want To Buy Non-Permanent Skin Upgrades?

124 replies to this topic

Poll: Your opinions on skins. (429 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to spend money on skins that are temporary in nature?

1. Yes, but only one set. (23 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

2. Yes, and multiple sets. (30 votes [6.99%])

Percentage of vote: 6.99%

3. No (376 votes [87.65%])

Percentage of vote: 87.65%

What about if they unlocked permanently for the specific mech variant?

1. Yes, but only one set. (111 votes [25.87%])

Percentage of vote: 25.87%

2. Yes, and multiple sets. (180 votes [41.96%])

Percentage of vote: 41.96%

3. No (138 votes [32.17%])

Percentage of vote: 32.17%

Would you buy skins if theyunlocked for all of a mech's variants?

1. Yes, but only one set. (54 votes [12.59%])

Percentage of vote: 12.59%

2. Yes, and multiple sets. (335 votes [78.09%])

Percentage of vote: 78.09%

3. No. (40 votes [9.32%])

Percentage of vote: 9.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I would re-pay Cbills for paint but not MC

I would pay MC to permanently unlock a paint/deco and then CB to apply/reapply it

#82 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Then Don't buy the paint Mustrum. I see the thinking of both sides and I understand them both. PGI NEEDS to make money and we don't want to SPEND money. I like my team mates idea (Rooster) cause it is a good middle ground. I can have my paint and change it too. But only so many times, then I gotta buy some more. It's part of the emergence. I have to pay for everything else (using in game cash) But since this isn't PtW Paint is the best way to make a buck.

[color=#959595]The car painting analogy has one very big flaw.[/color]
[color=#959595]If that's how its implemented, then MWO will be a trendsetter in a rather undesirable way.[/color]
Really? A $1-$3 micro transaction for pizzazz is undesirable? I buy paint to make My minis pretty. But when I see a cooler scheme I have to repaint my Mini. I also have to buy more paint. That is time and effort I have to pay. Click a button and boom you are a new shiny Mech. I just don't understand how "cheap" you guys sound.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 25 November 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#83 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 25 November 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Then Don't buy the paint Mustrum. I see the thinking of both sides and I understand them both. PGI NEEDS to make money and we don't want to SPEND money. I like my team mates idea (Rooster) cause it is a good middle ground. I can have my paint and change it too. But only so many times, then I gotta buy some more. It's part of the emergence. I have to pay for everything else (using in game cash) But since this isn't PtW Paint is the best way to make a buck.

There's a smart way to implement things, and a not so smart way. And if paying for the pleasure of the virtual equivalent of changing your clothes is what PGI thinks is best, then we'd best add that to the list of not so logical decisions they've made thus far.

#84 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

The poll suggests that they may have trouble selling their paint, though. Other companies have gone with the "Pay for the Costume Set in real money, Pay for the Custom Change in In-Game Money" approach as well and it worked quite well for them. (At least my imrpession is that Cryptic is doing fine now. PvP still sucks, but it seems people buy their stuff.)

#85 Paladin33

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

personnally, i feel stoled by this game if i must spend money for a custom skin.
Skin, must be a free option!

The game actually is totaly buggued and boring. 3 maps and always the same mission...
Before think money, finish the game !

Mechwarrior online is a false free game... and i don't like liar!

if i must spend real money in game, i think a league of legende show you the way...

#86 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Really? A $1-$3 micro transaction for pizzazz is undesirable? I buy paint to make My minis pretty. But when I see a cooler scheme I have to repaint my Mini. I also have to buy more paint. That is time and effort I have to pay. Click a button and boom you are a new shiny Mech. I just don't understand how "cheap" you guys sound.

Yeah, but what if I like changing my colours every other game. I think on the balance of things, wanting to change my look every game is less unreasonable than being asked for $3 every time I want to.

#87 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

I am not on board for buying a paint scheme, change it, then have to pay for it again either. Its why The "Pots of Paint" are a better idea. You want forest camo, Boom painted you have 6 left(for instance), Going to raid Tharkad? Get out the "Arctic Pot"! Oh I have only 2 Applications left (I should buy some more! :) )

This way you have to still buy your paint, just not every time you change your Camo.

#88 Tempworker

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

I already have concerns paying huge bills to switch to Ferro armor.. then paying a huge bill to switch back when I see that what I wanted didn't work.

If we can't test these things in the mechbay, they shouldnt be repetative buys.

If I've bought an artemis for a mech, I should be able to remove it.. for that mech.. and put it back..

Make a dang slot in the mechbay for parts specific to that machine.. you can include paint jobs as well

#89 Lobo Feroz

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I would probably buy a couple that I liked if they worked like the PC Gamer skin; it's an item in your inventory that you can apply to single compatible mech. You can remove it an reapply it as frequently as you like.

You'd pay to buy the skin, you'd pay to customize the skin. You could buy muliple copies of the same skin to customize differently. You'd pay to recustomize a skin.

#90 Lobo Feroz

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 25 November 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

So if you want to apply the same two-tone custom painjob on your new car as your old car had...

Real world comparisions to justify pricing don't really work. In painting your car there is the cost of materials and labor. You have neither cost when applying a skin to a mech. The only cost you have is paying the the artist to design the skin, that should be a one time buy.

Edited by Lobo Feroz, 25 November 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#91 Applecrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

I think the best idea is charge MC for unlocks, and c-bills for changes.

Granted I doubt i'll ever change my mech's paint job.

The main question I have is this: If i do a paint job, then apply a skin I already have from a free promo, I'm assuming I'd have to pay again to get my custom skin when I take the promo skin off.

That's why I'd really like to see patterns unlock with MC but change with c-bills, or just do it like all the mechs and offer the choice of both. Heck, charge a marginal repair cost for the paint job!

I don't mind using MC to customize mechs. I like that it walls it off a bit so that people will think about the colors/patterns they use. It will also start to make some groups/players recognizable. I don't think it should be something changed often and lightly.

#92 Landomatic

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostValore, on 25 November 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

There's a smart way to implement things, and a not so smart way. And if paying for the pleasure of the virtual equivalent of changing your clothes is what PGI thinks is best, then we'd best add that to the list of not so logical decisions they've made thus far.

They should make custom skins and flare that are account bound for use on all your mechs, and change and remove them regularly. They then become a weird and prideful display of veteran status. I can't imagine bobbleheads, custom mech paint markings, and paint skins take bounds of effort to create. Moreover, most people find it irritating whilst playing P2W MMOs that cosmetics have expiration dates and limited quantities.

#93 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostLobo Feroz, on 25 November 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

Real world comparisions to justify pricing don't really work. In painting your car there is the cost of materials and labor. You have neither cost when applying a skin to a mech. The only cost you have is paying the the artist to design the skin, that should be a one time buy.

and the coders, and the rent for the building. and the access to the hosting service and so on and so forth. This game relies on micro transactions so no.. My comparison is not faulty as PG is very much a real company with bills to pay.. So while it is true that you do not pay for the actual paint you still pay to keep the game running and that cost X amount of money each day and Y of that need to be coverd by the micro transactions. Just like the guy painting your car have to pay X amount each day of which what you pay him must cover Y. Why do you think there is any difference?

#94 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

money whоring is strong with the devs, they got 10 million dollars from founder packages and now all they can think about is making more money, are you serious? how about you make your game stable and fixed first? How about making it real Battletech experience, not some sandbox party for kids on small maps 8v8?

huh?

#95 Jadel Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

View PostPaladin33, on 25 November 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

personnally, i feel stoled by this game if i must spend money for a custom skin.
Skin, must be a free option!

The game actually is totaly buggued and boring. 3 maps and always the same mission...
Before think money, finish the game !

Mechwarrior online is a false free game... and i don't like liar!

if i must spend real money in game, i think a league of legende show you the way...

lol I love this post. So funny. Every part of it is ....

Anyway, I think the idea of pay with MC to unlock and Cbills to change is good. Unlock per chassis only or perhaps even per mech if they want to tighten the screws.

#96 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostParan01ac, on 25 November 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

money whоring is strong with the devs, they got 10 million dollars from founder packages and now all they can think about is making more money, are you serious? how about you make your game stable and fixed first? How about making it real Battletech experience, not some sandbox party for kids on small maps 8v8?

huh?

they got 5... and i think you lack any understanding of how little money that is when producing a computer game. (or any major project for that matter*

#97 Destoroyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 301 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

As a person with limited resources A pay per use system is useless. I hardly ever buy anything in a MMO that is tempory in nature as I know I'm wasting real money on it. Now for permenant purchases I'm more likely too fork it over for cause I know I'm getting my moneys worth. I often might purchase something I might not initully use, but plan to in the future and I often do as I know I already paid my fees and that option is available whenever I want. I can inderstand things like c-bill/exp boosters being temp things but cosmetics should always be permanent in my opinion.

The OP should consider a opinion in the poll if the cosmetics were unlockable would you prefer a per variant/per chassis/ or unlocked for all mechs.

#98 Thirdrail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Private
  • Private
  • 169 posts
  • LocationI'm just wandering around.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I could get behind the idea where you buy a "bottle of paint" that then has a limited number of uses. Somewhere in the 6-12 zone, depending on what counts a single usage. (If base colour, secondary colour, and trim for a single mech constituted 3 uses, for example, it would need to be 12. If that was all just one use, then 6 would be reasonable.)

It would certainly behoove Piranha to have a system like that, assuming their goal is income...

If it's 100mc to paint a mech, and that paint job just disappears into the ether the moment I change it, I'm going to paint my two or three favorites, and then hardly ever mess with paint again from that point onward. I might spend $3 a year on painting in that scenario. Maybe.

If it's 100mc to buy a bottle of paint with say, ten uses, I'm going to buy a lot of paint. In that scenario, expect me to spend $20 a year on paint bottles. At a very conservative estimate. (I spent $50+ on GW2 dyes, and I only actually used about 10 of those colours, between 8 characters, in a game I played for perhaps 2 weeks.)

Sort of crazy that we're now 15+ years past the release of pokemon, and anyone even needs to point out the advantages of "collect them all" logistics.

Edited by Thirdrail, 25 November 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#99 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostLobo Feroz, on 25 November 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

No Its a real world comparison to a real world purchase. You are buying a paint job. Your Mech is painted. Now you want it back the way it was before. That's another paint job.If you don't want to pay for anything the game will die. so keep your hand out, eventually the DEVs will have their hand out cause they are broke.

#100 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, sorry. I don't see myself spending real money on something that I lose if I am not currently using it.

I would pay (more) real money for unlockable patterns that can be applied per-chassis, and that I don't have to re-purchase if I stop using them for a while and then want to go back to it. Same for colors. Don't see myself spending real money on a "premium" color that is only in my ownership while it is currently applied.

I *might* do the above once to a mech or two, but very doubtful. If the premium skins and colors were permanent unlocks I would be far more likely to pay for them, and higher pricing would be just fine. Particularly the "patterns." Thirdrail's paint idea is also pretty good.

Edited by Bagheera, 25 November 2012 - 12:59 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users