Jump to content

Isn News Flash


20 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

    Member

  • Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Sun. Nov 25, 3049: Almost five years since their deployment, specialized Lyran HALO Paratrooper “wing” still proving infantry matter.

#2 Drakuba

    Member

  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCZ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

What did they do so interesting? Did they destroy mech with bare hands? Or build one from scrap and spare parts?

#3 Odanan

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,174 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

And I was pretty sure that the Lyran infantry was the Commando...

#4 Sarah Dalrymple

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSkye March, Hesperus II

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

"Paratroopers are infantry specially trained to deploy into combat on parachutes, parafoils or other specialized equipment.[1] While most infantry in the LCAF go through paratrooper training, only the best are deployed as part of the Lyran Paratrooper Corps. The HALO Paratroopers of the Third Skye CMR are held in reserve as strategic units, able to deploy from any number of fixed-wing aircraft using their specialized flight gear at a moment's notice.[2]"

http://www.sarna.net...ALO_Paratrooper

#5 Felicitatem Parco

    Professor of Memetics

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Wow... can you imagine what it'd be like to experience the life of a HALO infantryman, like a First-Person Story that takes place a few hundred years in the future when we have FTL and planetary colonies that are getting rampaged by a Covenent of invading forces? :)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 25 November 2012 - 09:49 AM.


#6 Parnage Winters

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

You'd think someone would of made a game about that by now, someday I guess.

#7 Baldwin Chang

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 November 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

Wow... can you imagine what it'd be like to experience the life of a HALO infantryman, like a First-Person Story that takes place a few hundred years in the future when we have FTL and planetary colonies that are getting rampaged by a Covenent of invading forces? :)


I see what you did there . . . . ;)

#8 Deedsie

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Paratroopers...did they install jump jets on Commandos?

#9 Solis Obscuri

    Don't Care How I Want It Now!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostDeedsie, on 26 November 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

Paratroopers...did they install jump jets on Commandos?

http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

#10 SwordofLight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

So, let me see if I understand the Lyran thinking. You've decided that since your forces are so poor at actual fighting, being more suited for insurance companies and stock exchanges, that you'd hit upon the idea of using your infantry as small, rather messy planetary bombardments?

You strap kites onto them, shove them out the airlock and hope they hit something useful? Before our aerospace fighters use them as a training exercise? You do know if you're having a problem with an abundance of people, that birth control was available in pre-space Earth, right? Its not some fancy Star League lost tech. Or is this how you're dealing with an over-abundance of Davion, now that you've tied the knot, jumped the broom, or whatever you savages do to marry off your 'nobility'? One too many of HRH Foxy's progeny littering Lryan worlds, drinking up all your beer? Actually, now that I say it out loud, shoving Lyrans and Federalies into low orbit with nothing but paper mache wings and a wave sounds like a fun activity for my next vacation to the FedCom.

剣光

#11 CharlieV

    Member

  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

View PostDrakuba, on 25 November 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

What did they do so interesting? Did they destroy mech with bare hands? Or build one from scrap and spare parts?


View PostSwordofLight, on 26 November 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

So, let me see if I understand the Lyran thinking. You've decided ...


You make me laugh, guys. I can assure you that one well trained infantry unit used for surgical strikes against enemy rear (like command centes or supply lines) can do more damage than whole battalion of heavy MECHs. Those specialists are perfectli fitted for such tasks and they can be deployed anytime anywhere, and you will be aware of their presence when they slit your throat.

#12 SwordofLight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

View PostCharlieV, on 27 November 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:




You make me laugh, guys. I can assure you that one well trained infantry unit used for surgical strikes against enemy rear (like command centes or supply lines) can do more damage than whole battalion of heavy MECHs. Those specialists are perfectli fitted for such tasks and they can be deployed anytime anywhere, and you will be aware of their presence when they slit your throat.


"All members of the DCMS serving in the districts of Dieron and Alshain, as well as personell in the prefectures of Proserpina, Iruzun, Matsuida, Kaznejov, and Tabayama are to be armed at all times. Qualifications in aikedo are also required (sanbo is an authorized substitute in Kaznejov, and krav maga in Alshain). Melee forms such as kendo and certain styles of kung fu are recommended, and required for all mech warriors or DCMS officers. Katana and Wakisashi are required as well as side-arm for all ranks Tai-Sa and above for all uniforms. Officers of Scandinavian descent may substitute a seax or similar in place of the Wakisashi, but the Katana is required. All edged weapons will be 'live', and subject to the silk test at any time. All firearms are to be loaded, all beam weapons charged."
-Military Conduct and Orders, Handbook of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery (unclassified), section 2, subsection 7, first implemented 2818 Earth Standard.

Edited by SwordofLight, 27 November 2012 - 05:14 PM.


#13 BigMooingCow

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostSwordofLight, on 27 November 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:


"All members of the DCMS serving in the districts of Dieron and Alshain, as well as personell in the prefectures of Proserpina, Iruzun, Matsuida, Kaznejov, and Tabayama are to be armed at all times. Qualifications in aikedo are also required (sanbo is an authorized substitute in Kaznejov, and krav maga in Alshain). Melee forms such as kendo and certain styles of kung fu are recommended, and required for all mech warriors or DCMS officers. Katana and Wakisashi are required as well as side-arm for all ranks Tai-Sa and above for all uniforms. Officers of Scandinavian descent may substitute a seax or similar in place of the Wakisashi, but the Katana is required. All edged weapons will be 'live', and subject to the silk test at any time. All firearms are to be loaded, all beam weapons charged."
-Military Conduct and Orders, Handbook of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery (unclassified), section 2, subsection 7, first implemented 2718 Earth Standard.



I guess that makes the g*nocide easier, but it sure didn't help old Minoru. All those silly ancient weapons aren't worth one bullet.

Edited by BigMooingCow, 27 November 2012 - 12:19 PM.


#14 Kaijin

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostBigMooingCow, on 27 November 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:



I guess that makes the g*nocide easier, but it sure didn't help old Minoru. All those silly ancient weapons aren't worth one bullet.


It was a response to the silly "knife against your throat" statement. The DCMS, being the principle benefactor of the military dictatorship that House Kurita is, is in general more than prepared to deal with Lyran 'ninjas'.

Minoru had a momentary lapse of reason, and the people of Kentares IV paid for it with their lives.

#15 SwordofLight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Note the date of the first implementation of Order 2/7 - it was in response to the coward Davion who assasinated Minoru Kurita. We learned our lesson the hard way 200 years ago, never trust the honor of the false Houses. Drop your rats on our worlds, Lyrans. Then ask your bedmates in Davion space how we deal with assassins. Ask anyone in the 7th Crucis Lancers, whose mechs we do not even salvage, let alone take prisoner. Bring your HALO paratroopers; thanks to the training we recieved from a sniper on Kentares, we are prepared for them.

剣光

Edited by SwordofLight, 27 November 2012 - 05:14 PM.


#16 Strum Wealh

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostSwordofLight, on 27 November 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

"All members of the DCMS serving in the districts of Dieron and Alshain, as well as personell in the prefectures of Proserpina, Iruzun, Matsuida, Kaznejov, and Tabayama are to be armed at all times. Qualifications in aikedo are also required (sanbo is an authorized substitute in Kaznejov, and krav maga in Alshain). Melee forms such as kendo and certain styles of kung fu are recommended, and required for all mech warriors or DCMS officers. Katana and Wakisashi are required as well as side-arm for all ranks Tai-Sa and above for all uniforms. Officers of Scandinavian descent may substitute a seax or similar in place of the Wakisashi, but the Katana is required. All edged weapons will be 'live', and subject to the silk test at any time. All firearms are to be loaded, all beam weapons charged."
-Military Conduct and Orders, Handbook of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery (unclassified), section 2, subsection 7, first implemented 2718 Earth Standard.

View PostSwordofLight, on 27 November 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Note the date of the first implementation of Order 2/7 - it was in response to the coward Davion who assasinated Minoru Kurita. We learned our lesson the hard way 300 years ago, never trust the honor of the false Houses. Drop your rats on our worlds, Lyrans. Then ask your bedmates in Davion space how we deal with assassins. Ask anyone in the 7th Crucis Lancers, whose mechs we do not even salvage, let alone take prisoner. Bring your HALO paratroopers; thanks to the training we recieved from a sniper on Kentares, we are prepared for them.

剣光

If one is going to suggest that another check their dates, then it would be wise to take one's own advice. :)

This "Order 2/7" is dated as 2718.

Minoru Kurita (I) was born in 2705, and would have been a boy of ~14 when this "Order2/7" was issued.
He died on Kentares (as much by virtue of his own arrogance and stupidity as by Sergeant Latha Pischel's laser rifle) in 2796 - 78 years after the issuance of "Order 2/7".

'Tis highly unlikely that "Order 2/7" was implemented as a response to a situation that occurred over three-quarters of a century after its issuance. ;)

#17 SwordofLight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 27 November 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

If one is going to suggest that another check their dates, then it would be wise to take one's own advice. :(

This "Order 2/7" is dated as 2718.

Minoru Kurita (I) was born in 2705, and would have been a boy of ~14 when this "Order2/7" was issued.
He died on Kentares (as much by virtue of his own arrogance and stupidity as by Sergeant Latha Pischel's laser rifle) in 2796 - 78 years after the issuance of "Order 2/7".

'Tis highly unlikely that "Order 2/7" was implemented as a response to a situation that occurred over three-quarters of a century after its issuance. :(


Thank you - misprinted the date - I meant to put 2818, which was the end of that invasion.

"By 2818 the AFFS pushed the Combine back to its pre-war borders" according to sarna.net . I'll go back and fix the number.

-Don

#18 BigMooingCow

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostSwordofLight, on 27 November 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Note the date of the first implementation of Order 2/7 - it was in response to the coward Davion who assasinated Minoru Kurita. We learned our lesson the hard way 200 years ago, never trust the honor of the false Houses. Drop your rats on our worlds, Lyrans. Then ask your bedmates in Davion space how we deal with assassins. Ask anyone in the 7th Crucis Lancers, whose mechs we do not even salvage, let alone take prisoner. Bring your HALO paratroopers; thanks to the training we recieved from a sniper on Kentares, we are prepared for them.

剣光


That a Drac would speak of honor in the same breath as Kentares is a grim contradiction.

Minoru was a fool, and his son was a genocidal maniac. While the Draconis Combine was never a place to go looking for honor, Kentares will serve as a timeless reminder that the warriors of the DCMS are nothing but spineless thugs.

Fascist dictatorships are often efficient, but why one would submit to be a tool to advance such a regime is beyond me.

#19 Strum Wealh

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

View PostSwordofLight, on 27 November 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

Thank you - misprinted the date - I meant to put 2818, which was the end of that invasion.

"By 2818 the AFFS pushed the Combine back to its pre-war borders" according to sarna.net . I'll go back and fix the number.

-Don

And what is your source for this "Order 2/7"? :rolleyes:

Interestingly, it would seem that the ~2718 date is likely closer to correct:

Quote

Near the end of Urizen’s term as Coordinator of the Draconis Combine, an interesting phenomenon occurred. The interest in the ways of the ancient Japanese had fostered a cult of Bushido among the warriors in the Combine. The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi and historical accounts of medieval Japan also became popular. All this renewed the Combine’s sense of destiny, and many believed the new emphasis on Japanese heritage would make the Kuritans better warriors.

As the pinnacle of the military, the Kuritan MechWarriors took every ancient word to heart. It soon became fashionable, then required, that all MechWarriors carry the Wakizashi, or short sword, and Katana, or longsword, of the ancient samurai on formal dress occasions. Dojos - schools devoted to the Way of ancient weapons - soon sprang up across the realm, reviving the nearly lost arts of Kendo and Kyudo, the ways of Sword and Bow, as well as other honorable weapons. The concept of sword dueling was revived during this time, and by the 2670s, the Coordinator had commissioned the writing of a set of rules to ensure that his MechWarriors did not kill one other off.
(source: House Kurita (The Draconis Combine))

Urizen Kurita served as the 19th Coordinator from 2620 until 2691, and it was during his reign (specifically, around the end - the late 2600s) that the DCMS took up and codified the fetishization of feudal Japan and the Samurai culture.

#20 SwordofLight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 28 November 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

And what is your source for this "Order 2/7"? :P

Interestingly, it would seem that the ~2718 date is likely closer to correct:(source: House Kurita (The Draconis Combine))

Urizen Kurita served as the 19th Coordinator from 2620 until 2691, and it was during his reign (specifically, around the end - the late 2600s) that the DCMS took up and codified the fetishization of feudal Japan and the Samurai culture.


Blinks I think you misunderstand the entire intent of my post. I'm not quoting actual regulations. I'm making them up whole cloth, because I can. Its called roleplaying. I'm trolling, but I'm trolling as a guy from the 31st century, and you'll note that I sign those posts 剣光 (The light that shines from a sword) and these posts with Don, who is not, in fact, a member of the Draconis Combine from a 1000 years in the future. Quoting regs would be exactly the sort of thing a fanatical member of the Sword of Light units would do, as well as believing the official party line about the Kentares Massacre. It was written for the enjoyment of Battletech and Mechwarrior players, and in hopes of Davion in-character counter-trolling. Sorry you didnt get the joke.

-Don





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users