Narc, Tag And Targets Outside Line Of Sight.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Escorpio

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Edited by Escorpio, 27 May 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#2 Tuhalu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

You can only shoot outside your LOS if someone is "spotting" for you. While "anyone" can do it, nobody can do it if nobody is willing to get in LOS :)

The job of TAG is not to "spot" the target. It's job is to counter the difficulty of hitting fast moving targets. It does that. If you fire at a fast mech that has not been tagged and then you fire at one that is being tagged, you will see a lot more missiles hit the target on the tagged mech.

NARC is merely TAG that lasts for 15 seconds after it lands in MWO. In the tabletop, it did that AND made the target a "spotted" target so that the scout could hide after firing it. It could also be nullified by ECM, whereas TAG could not be.

I disagree with TAG needing any kind of buff (it does everything it's supposed to do and is cheap at 1 ton!). I agree that NARC needs to be better (it does not do everything it's supposed to do and is too expensive at 3 ton + ammo).

#3 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

for lrms tag is really good. i suspect they do about 50% more damage based on better trajectory. you just need 2 to pull it off and most pugs wont bother bringing a TAG when they cant be sure there will be LRM boats who even know to take advantage of it.

#4 Orkhepaj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

tag , omg artemis completly negates it , and every lrm pilot will use artemis thats for sure
narc useless crap , 15 sec rly? it is hard to hit weapon and you only get 15 seconds , so lam

#5 Escorpio

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

As for TAG I think they could do as the AMS. They should be able to leave it on and not have to be pressing the button to mark targets and disable it when not needed.

#6 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I haven't used NARC but it was really really bad in TT. In MWO, you're not even guaranteed to land it and you're extremely limited in the number of pods you get per ton of ammo. If it is just a TAG with a duration and needs to be landed, why would anyone take it?

#7 Tuhalu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostOrkhepaj, on 25 November 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

tag , omg artemis completly negates it , and every lrm pilot will use artemis thats for sure
narc useless crap , 15 sec rly? it is hard to hit weapon and you only get 15 seconds , so lam

TAG/NARC effect (it's the same effect) stacks with Artemis IV launchers (unlike in the tabletop game!). Artemis IV provides some guidance and some tighter clustering. TAG/NARC adds more guidance and tighter clustering on top of that. If an LRM20 would simply miss without ArtIV or TAG, with ArtIV it might hit with 5-8 missiles and with TAG on top of that it could hit with 12-18 missiles.

If the target simply stands still or moves at like 30kph, you don't really need either.

#8 Orkhepaj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostTuhalu, on 25 November 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

TAG/NARC effect (it's the same effect) stacks with Artemis IV launchers (unlike in the tabletop game!). Artemis IV provides some guidance and some tighter clustering. TAG/NARC adds more guidance and tighter clustering on top of that. If an LRM20 would simply miss without ArtIV or TAG, with ArtIV it might hit with 5-8 missiles and with TAG on top of that it could hit with 12-18 missiles.

If the target simply stands still or moves at like 30kph, you don't really need either.

I run with tag but dont rly notice the difference if I dot the target or not. Also It is hard to keep it constantly on smaller mechs where it could be advantageous , not like large ones what lrm has no trouble hitting.
So I would say the item is greatly limited .

Edited by Orkhepaj, 25 November 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#9 Czardread

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

i agree with the people suggesting narc making the target hit by it constantly trackable and lockable, would make for a really nifty alternative to put your as son the line for scouts (that is, once the netcode stop making then nearl unhitable). AND would actually make then worth putting a narc beacon on the mech instead of assrm2. as for the TAG, something need to be made to make it usefull, as it is is just as worthless as it ever was in every mechwarrior franchise. mayvbe incresing its range so that you dont have to stay glued to the mech you're painting or make it last for maybe a second after you stop taggin to avoid breaks due to loss o LOS.

#10 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Tag increases lock speed and tightens the missile spread when it hits the target. Even if its standing still more missiles from the volley will hit than otherwise.

As a dedicated LRM boat I can tell you the TAG makes a huge difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users