• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

My biggest gripe with the 'phract is not one of weapon options, but one of weapon locations. As in, the places for like weapon mountings get wonky when one is torso mounted and one is arm mounted, especially when you are unable to keep distance from smaller, faster machines. I fancy myself a pretty good shot, but having one weapon on a relatively fixed mount and another on the arm can really limit my effective firing arc.

I am, however, loving the 4x, personally, outfitted for range with 2x Gauss, 2x MedLas, and 1x SSRM 2. I expect an -IM with a similar loadout (3 medlas, extra DHS) will perform similarly, as it avoids the weird arm-torso primary cannon placement issue. Being able to place explosive weapons like Gauss in the arms also acts as integrated damage control of sorts. If it explodes, it takes the arm and nothing else, and as the gauss is the only thing in the arm I can live without it if the gun is wrecked.

Given just how wide the mech is, I can never stop wondering why some people would throw an XL in it, however. That mech's torsos is about as easy to focus down as an Awesome's. Then again, I question the sanity of mounting an XL in anything above 40 tons as a general rule, anyways.

#42 RabbidFerret

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I've built my Phract around my fighting style. Medium-range, low heat, pinpoint damage and never touching an XL:

Cataphract 1x:
5x Medium Lasers
1x Guass with 3 tons of ammo

Endo Steel, DHS and I bumped the standard engine up 20 units to get a little bit more speed.

Really happy with it so far. Not the highest alpha, but you can keep the damage on and keep it where you need it. The 4sp left some big shoes to fill and this comes pretty close.

#43 M Jordanus Sicarius

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 78 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I usually don't live heavily modifying from the variant so I keep it relatively close. On my 2X I went x2 Large lasers, x2 SSRM2s, x1 AC-10 with AMS, Endo Steel and DHS. Heat isn't too back and it's pretty balanced, it kills lights and mediums (I love seeing Jenners now), can hold it's own with anything bigger but generally shouldn't go up against an assualt alone.

Liking this a lot, and I like it even more because I don't see anything like it often so it feels unique/not cookie-cutter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users