Betty Feedback

299 replies to this topic

Poll: About Betty's voice speed and warnings. (351 member(s) have cast votes)

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be played a little faster to be more effective, to sound less dozed and get a faster game rhythm?

1. Yes. (237 votes [67.52%])

Percentage of vote: 67.52%

2. No. (114 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

¿Do you think we should be allowed to configure what kind or warnings do we get from Betty?

1. Yes. (321 votes [91.45%])

Percentage of vote: 91.45%

2. No. (30 votes [8.55%])

Percentage of vote: 8.55%

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be tweaked to sound more electronic, a little like GLaDOS or Crysis Nano Suit?

1. Yes. (134 votes [41.88%])

Percentage of vote: 41.88%

2. No. (186 votes [58.13%])

Percentage of vote: 58.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#261 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Overall,a nice feature.
1.Her voice tone is perfectly set as it does not irritate.
2.Its volume can be raised/lowered or disabled completely through the last sound option - Dialog Volume
3.Sometimes a man wants to give her
Posted Image
for messages like "New targer acquired" when I lock on an enemy.
4.Listing every destroyed weapon is even a bit annoying.

The best option to polish it would be by extending sound option by add set of checkboxes there about what event we want to be informed by Betty (it'll require to spilt options into tabs I suppose).Concerning 4,there should be a choice between full and shortened version,which would sound like "Weapons in (left arm/right arm etc) destroyed"
Also there should be 2-3 versions of Betty's voice for these who don't like the current one.Or better,why not put the messages into editable .mp3 files?

Edited by MasterBLB, 29 November 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#262 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

I vote for Nanosuit style processing being applied to Betty. But yes, right now, it's way too slow. I'm mostly inclined to turn her off completely, given that it's just adding to the sound-effects cutting out problem I'm having.

Edited by Dukarriope, 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#263 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

For me;
Too soft.
Too slow.
Many prompts are for pointless things.
Too 'clean'. I want a more computerized sounding one. Crysis' nanosuit's is a good reference.

#264 Soylent Pete

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

I think there should be more voice bits!

"Mech Turning Left."
"Mech Walking Forward."
"You have come to a complete stop."
"There are no incoming missiles."
"Tell me more about... Your mother."

#265 GhostBexar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 113 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

OMFG its Princess Valium for a computer.... What is she running on an Intel Celeron processor?
Betty needs to sound much more urgent!!

I would like to hear the voice lightly digitized sounding as well, but that is just me.

#266 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostMoldycrow, on 29 November 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

I wish it could be like in Mechwarrior 3, the computer speaks fast and to the point. It doesn't need to say "New target Acquired" every single time, "Targeting" works just fine.

yeah mw3 had really good both voice and messages most notably:

which reminds me: add that quote and also target destroyed

Edited by sC4r, 29 November 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#267 Fairseas

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

I also would like some of the original alert sounds from MW2/ MW2:Mercs, the missile alerts and such. Granted the fidelity would be higher nowadays, but that piercing pulse tone telling you that you just lost a limb? Adds a touch of realism and welcome redundancy because I can't always be checking my HUD screens to determine what part of my 'mech just was blown off by a mass of charged particles. I don't want to hear "Incoming missile." I want to hear a nice piercing pulse tone that I instantly know means "WEAPONS LOCK, WEAPONS LOCK" and a differentiated one meaning "LRM FIRED, MISSILE RAIN IMMINENT"

Edited by CrazedGunman, 29 November 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#268 Kess

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Congratulations on Betty making it back into MechWarrior.

Just some feedback regarding the new voice-overs.

1. By default its a little too faint and sometimes feels like its a background sound. I would imagine noises from inside a cockpit to be louder than those outside. (I know you can increase the volume in options)

2. Comparing this betty to the one in MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat, it appears this new betty hasn't been put through any voice modulation at all. She just sound straight and not robotic if you get what I mean. It feels just sounds a little odd. It sounds like there's a woman inside the cockpit with you talking into your ear. Here's a youtube clip of how she used to sound in MW2.

Also a selection of those sound files can be found here: http://wavs.unclebub...om/mechwarrior/

I know form Mechwarrior 2: Mercs and onwards they made her sound more human and less robotic, but I really liked the robotic effect.

3. There's a long pause between words in some phrases. Sometimes its awkwardly long. Sometimes it almost sounds like its the beginning of a new phrase, when really its the end of the first one.

Thanks guys

Edited by Kess, 29 November 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#269 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

It's awesome. She gets a little glitchy at times, but awesome nonetheless. Adds a lot the the experience, and the implementation is pretty darn good as is, and sounds quite believable for a bitchen betty. If I made any mechanical systems that needed female voice prompt, I want Carole Ruggier to do the voice.

#270 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostsC4r, on 29 November 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

yeah mw3 had really good both voice and messages most notably:

which reminds me: add that quote and also target destroyed

this was awesome stuff.

#271 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

The only issue I have is the pronunciation of missiles. A missal is a prayer book. :(

#272 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

¿Do you think we should be allowed to configure what kind or warnings do we get from Betty?

Yeah, I also feel enabling disabling the text version too. On the other hand, I somehow don't get bothered by them as much, now that Betty is implemented.

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be tweaked to sound more electronic, a little like GLaDOS or Crysis Nano Suit?

No. I like Bettie's voice, it adds a slow rythm to the battle and helps me think more clearly.

http://mwomercs.com/...ty-and-friends/

I would like to swap to alternate voices from Betty, with time. Also what if you could mess with the sliders of base and pitch to make your own voice, or for that matter record your own?

#273 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

I just heard the current voice for the first time.

Yes Im glad its been added and I like it but I hope its a placeholder / first pass. Its too slow, too passive, too soft, I can barely hear it. It has none of the urgency, volume or sultry huskiness of MW2. Im sure PGI will get all the mechanics and timing right then replace the voice with what it should be.

Carol Ruggier.. we need you. Its not MW without you.

#274 Johannicus

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

I really like the addition of BB but as some has stated it should be more of a pause between Subject and Status. Sounding like it comes from the cockpit speaker would be a nice addition aswell. Its not bad in its current state, but it could be improved.

#275 Piad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 123 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 29 November 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

this was awesome stuff.

+1

#276 Allen Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

OMG, 14 pages about a computer voice...;)

I like the addition of the board computer voice. But I agree with many that she currently sounds like some lame employee in a shopping mall calling out for the parents of the nerdy 7-year old boy. She makes me sleepy and is a bit annoying. Also it's a bit buggy, when several systems go down she can't complete all alerts correctly.

I think in a combat situation you would want to have a voice that gives you the information as fast and as clearly as possible. Currently only "clearly" has been achieved.

There is room for improvement.

#277 Glowhollow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi there !

a 11khz voice of Betty is good enough !

#278 Predator01cz

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

I've got my expectations way too high from this trailer.
Got a bit disappointed after I patched. Her voice is way slower than in the trailer.
She kinda sounds like she's about to fall asleep any second.. "New target... yawn... acquired"
The trailer version of her voice is about perfect, or at least the way that I would be absolutely satisfied with.

Edited by Predator01cz, 30 November 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#279 Glowhollow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

i did some remixes - maybe you like it...

https://soundcloud.c...ed-other-effect

There are really simple effects...

#280 Roachburn

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Some changes that could be made to betty. It needs to sound more like it did in MW 2 mercenaries. Also, I know you plan on putting a startup sequence in and I suggest you match MW2 Mercs word for word. "Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online. All systems nominal." Also we need to change the overheat to say " Internal heat at 700 kelvin, reactor critical shutdown imminent " then " emergency heat shut down overridden" Also, I like the new target aquired but it says it too much. I suggest It only states target acquired when a mech is spotted for the first time. Everything else is cherry.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users