9M Or 8Q?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

9M goes 70 kph, in and out quickly, has laser capability of 8Q plus missiles. Alpha of 57.

8Q is slow, lower alpha but soes not have the XL side torso vulnerability.

Any thoughts?

#2 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

If you worry about XL vulnerability you can still always go with the 9M and put in a standart engine. Also note that on the 9m you have 2 missile and 2 energy Hardpoints on the center torso so you have to choose wether it be the same amount of lasers as the 8Q OR 3 Missiles like the 8T. Still I went with the 9M myself because it has so many options. It is practically the 8Q and the 8T in one mech along with the capability of going as fast as heavies and mediums.

#3 ArmyOfWon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

9M. All the way. Extra speed is always a plus, no matter what the class, and (IMO with the current heat system), there aren't many builds you can run more effectively on an 8Q than a 9M with respect to energy weapons, let alone adding in some extra oomph with a couple Missile hardpoints.

If you have the cash, get the 9M.

#4 maddogncux

• 1,220 posts
  • LocationmosCow

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

atlas

#5 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

View Postmaddogncux, on 27 November 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

atlas

Hehe why is it in every thread asking about what mech to get sooner or later someone comes saying "Atlas".

Just if you did not realize yet: Just because it is the biggest thing out there it does not mean it's the best mech to get. If you are primarily playing premades though you shall be forgiven. If you constantly stomp the enmy in your oversized Commando you can get the impression that there is no better mech.

#6 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

I run the 8Q with the Standard 290 as my budget Assault with 4 LL, 1 ML. I have digital x4 fuzzy zoom along with the other sensor mods. I managed to just add in the Beagle Active Probe too. Even cored, my largest bill never went past ~60,000 C-bills. The only rearm is from the AMS which is dirt cheap.

On the other hand my 9M has the outrageously expensive XL 385 engine 3 LL, 3 Streak 2. That baby hits 110,000 C-bills if you want to pay for that XL engine's repairs.

Edited by LaserAngel, 27 November 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#7 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

I have never felt like my 9M was worth the 11 million Cbills I spent on it. This could very well be a playstyle or "skill" thing (although I kick plenty of butt in other mechs...) but it has never meshed for me.

ERPPCs are a big fat "meh". Huge heat even with a big XL engine and DHS crammed in every possible spot. For as much as you are building the mech around them, I never felt the damage was all that great.

The best mileage I've gotten from the 9M is to boat 4 LLAS for long range melting and a SRM6 in the left arm to add punch when the battle gets in close. You can swap it for streakers if you want to maybe give light mechs a reason to leave you alone. In the end though, as much as I love watching all those blue beams, it still feels plenty fragile. For a great big assault mech, it seems to take less damage than my Hunchies or Cents. Those giant side torsos catch every stray shot and rocket. Lights have a ball tearing it up, and even most medium mechs don't seem particularly intimidated by the Awesome.

Paying out an 80K repair bill because a Gausscat looked in your direction is not fun. I would not recommend the 9M unless you have a very specific plan for it or a team that can really cover you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users