• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

View Postcache, on 28 November 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

Name them.

off the top of my head, Danielle Rondema from Wolf's Dragoon's has an Atlas with 3 medium lasers in each arm, and no SRM launcher. i would drive that

Yorioshi has a custom Dragon with SRM's and a flamer in the chest and a small laser in the head, so that's different

and there's a Jenner pilot i don't remember the name of that has the lasers on the jenner still but also LRM's, which I dont think you can fit now in our current variants. maybe you can, i don't remember that one too well

i'm sure there are more than these but that's just off the top of my head, like i said

#22 Jeff K Notagoon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostJason1138, on 28 November 2012 - 07:31 AM, said:

except that its a lie that there aren't "alot" of legendary mechwarriors whose mechs are fully statted out. and since we have 1 in the game so far, even if there weren't alot it doesn't mean that we're out of the ones there are. there are plenty still left even with the 10 mechs we have to work with

not to mention that the 1 hero mech we have now, the YLW, is not significantly different than the free variant they removed to make way for it, so why didn't they just start with all new ones from the get go?

There are also only 11 mechs in the game so far. Are you sure there are alot(sic) of hero mechs of those 11? That also fit the current timeline?

Edited by Jeff K Notagoon, 28 November 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#23 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

there's "alot" more than zero. by the time they implement the 3 i just named off, we'd have 2 or 3 new mechs in the game

#24 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

i guess my point is that surely canon hero's with unique mechs, of which there are quite a few, would have more fans than "new" invented hero's would, right? and for instance if you were to use Danielle from Wolf's Dragoons and give her mech a Dragoons paint job, you'd get Atlas fans buying it, and Dragoon fans, and maybe Danielle has some fans too, right?

and wouldn't there be more of those than there would be for some made up hero from some new made up unit? i just don't get the logic from PGI's point of view, unless they're paying a ton of money for canon hero's

i mean you can't tell me if they released Hanse Davion's personal whatever mech that it wouldn't sell more than "Captain Hero" mech with the exact same stats. A certain number of people want to play the mech of their favorite character, and i don't see how making up new hero mechs helps PGI as much as using canon hero's would

Edited by Jason1138, 28 November 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#25 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

I personally think this is a good idea. A lot of the really good ones most of us would like are not available due to copyright restrictions and the remaining ones are pretty dull to be honest.

As long as they put a good story behind it and make it fit in, then I don't mind having new heroes that we haven't heard of before.

#26 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostJason1138, on 28 November 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

off the top of my head, Danielle Rondema from Wolf's Dragoon's has an Atlas with 3 medium lasers in each arm, and no SRM launcher.

That would be a fun design to run. Considering it is a recent addition to canon I'm betting not so many MWO players have heard of it. There isn't as much attachment to it as there would be a hero that's been established in canon for many years. (Same can be said of brand new heroes that they create.) Perhaps they are going to give a hero to each House (plus the FRR) and then move on to Mercs. I'll wait and see what happens as we get more heroes before getting worried about them creating their own.

Yorioshi has a custom Dragon with SRM's and a flamer in the chest and a small laser in the head, so that's different

What's really notable about this one is the potential for an energy weapon in the right arm. I can see this clashing with introduction of the Grand Dragon(s). Perhaps it will roll around when House Kurita gets a hero. Same as the Atlas, this is a recent addition to canon.

and there's a Jenner pilot i don't remember the name of that has the lasers on the jenner still but also LRM's, which I dont think you can fit now in our current variants. maybe you can, i don't remember that one too well

I'm not familiar with that one. JR-7K Grace carries one ML in each arm and Narc in the left torso. I don't know if that's enough of a change to qualify for a hero Mech, especially if they have other House Kurita heroes to consider, though being able to add a larger missile pod to the LT would be interesting. Same as the first two, Grace is a recent addition to canon.

i'm sure there are more than these but that's just off the top of my head, like i said

I'd love to hear more when you get a chance to look them up. Especially if they're old, established heros and not something added in recent Historicals and other products.

Edited by cache, 28 November 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#27 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

they might also consider using certain gimmick variants as "hero" mechs, even without a hero

for instance, a fire ant is basically a flea. not advocating the fire ant since all MG's and flamers don't work too well in this game right now, but there are lots of mechs that have a weird specific variant that goes by another name. i would prefer to see some of those over invented heroes with invented variants

#28 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

My speculations (and hopes) for some hero mechs:

--------------------------------------
Jenner JR-7K Grace (Endo Steel, Ferro Fibrous)

LA 1e (medium laser)
LT 1m [probably 2m] (NARC)
CT 2m (SRM4)
H
RT
RA 1e (medium laser)

Jenner JR-7K Samuli (XL Engine, Ferro Fibrous)

LA 2e (2 medium lasers)
LT
CT
H
RT
RA 2e, 1m [probably 2m] (2 medium lasers, LRM15)

Dragon Yorioshi DRG-2Y

LA 1e (medium laser)
LT
CT 1m, 1e (srm4, flamer)
H 1e (small laser)
RT
RA 1e [probably 2e] (large laser)

Kerensky's Orion (Double HS, Ferro Fibrous)

LA 1e (medium laser)
LT 1m, 1e (SRM4, snub-nose PPC*)
CT
H
RT 1b [probably 2b] (gauss)
RA 1e (medium laser)

*the Snub-Nose PPC is an old SL weapon that is rediscovered only in 3067, but could be replaced by a regular PPC in MWO.

PS: all these mechs are canon. I agree there is no need to invent any hero mech now - we have lots of existing options already.

#29 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostOdanan, on 28 November 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

My speculations (and hopes) for some hero mechs:

Jenner JR-7K Grace (Endo Steel, Ferro Fibrous)

LA 1e (medium laser)
LT 1m [probably 2m] (NARC)
CT 2m (SRM4)
H
RT
RA 1e (medium laser)

There are no missiles in the CT, so you shouldn't get missile hardpoints there.

#30 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Oh, I'm forgetting this one:

Atlas AS7-D Danielle

LA 3e (3 medium lasers)
LT 1m (LRM20)
CT
H
RT 1b (AC/20)
RA 3e (3 medium lasers)

#31 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostOdanan, on 28 November 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Jenner JR-7K Samuli (XL Engine, Ferro Fibrous)

LA 2e (2 medium lasers)
LT
CT
H
RT
RA 2e, 1m [probably 2m] (2 medium lasers, LRM15)

Not happening. This is a post-Operation Bulldog design.

#32 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

View Postcache, on 28 November 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

There are no missiles in the CT, so you shouldn't get missile hardpoints there.

Sorry, I was confused by the description of the mech. You are right.

View Postcache, on 28 November 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Not happening. This is a post-Operation Bulldog design.

At least the weapons and equipments are time-wise.

#33 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

It's also noteworthy that MechWarrior games themselves, while based on the Canon of Battletech, are never considered canonical products themselves: No MechWarrior game has ever added to the canon of Battletech, but all have referenced the canon. So there is actually a fair amount of room for PGI to take creative liberties.

#34 Keisuke Nagisa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yes there are a lot of canon hero mechs but a lot are from later in the timeline and some of the current ones use clan tech or tech thats not implemented yet. There are only a few that would be able to be implemented. Namely The butterbee cat (which would cause an outcry due to 4 energy and 4 missile slots) and a few others.

For what its worth, they aren't just pulling these out of their ***. They have been working with Randal Bills on making these new mechs and I'd be willing to bet that they will turn up in some new fiction on battlecorps soon.

Edited by Keisuke Nagisa, 20 December 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#35 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

View PostDr Killinger, on 28 November 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

I love that we're getting new stuff. The Battletech universe is densely populated, but something fresh is... refreshing.

True and false.
I admit it is Somewhat Bias, but as I have never heard of these "Heroes" they don't carry as much Awe power as say having collected Yen Lo Wang. A Mech that was in 4(?) novels and was attached to a Hero that is just now become a force to consider in the BattleTech/MechWarrior Universe. And will be a force to reconned with for nearly 30 more years. Fire & Fang are cool Unique builds But they are not "Hero" Mechs. At least that is how I see it. To me it's like saying Mr. Miracle is an Avenger. A lot of folks would ask, "Who?"

#36 CancR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I hope they invent a hero Jennner soon

Edited by CancR, 20 December 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#37 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostJeff K Notagoon, on 28 November 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

PGI is so awesome they answered your question before you even asked it!

http://mwomercs.com/...22#entry1500322

The search function eludes this one. Many posts which already have answers he will continue to post. We must be patient with the OP.

Edited by Pando, 20 December 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#38 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostCancR, on 20 December 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

I hope they invent a hero Jennner soon
Like these?
Custom Variants
  • JR7-K Jenner Grace - Known as "Cat" among the MechWarriors of Sorenson's Sabres, the personal 'Mech of Grace Shiro has been extensively modified over the years to aid her role as the unit's spotter. Originally trading two Medium Lasers for extra armor, in the lead-up to War of 3039 her 'Mech was outfitted a less-refined experimental Endo-Steel chassis and Ferro-Fibrous armor, allowing the SRM launcher to be replaced with an advanced Octagon Missile Magnet Narc Missile Beacon with three tons of Homing Pods.

• JR7-K Jenner Samuli - A customized Jenner for MechWarrior Samuli Rinne, which is in the service of House Kurita. The 'Mech's engine was upgraded with a 245 rated XL Engine and 3.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous Armor. By removing the standard SRM launcher, DCMS techs freed enough room to add CASE and a single LRM-15 with two tons of ammunition. Rinne's Jenner keeps the standard complement of Medium Lasers.

#39 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 20 December 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

To me it's like saying Mr. Miracle is an Avenger. A lot of folks would ask, "Who?"

That is because he is a DC hero... But i guess you meant Wonderman and yes people go huh?.

I guess we will see another "real" hero mech when the Highlander and Orion comes out. The Treb do not have any real "hero" mech stuff established. The Jagermech have a famous pilot but noting say it is anything beyond a stock version... the Hunchback Shakir is just a weapon swap. and neither the Cicada or spider have any special stuff. C1 Jenny "Butterbee again is just a skinjob... Stalker is the same deal.. nothing special. Adams Awesome might be a candidate but it is a rather obscure one.

JR7-K Jenner Grace would just be a skinjob as i am sure i can squezze a Narc in my current jenner if i for some weird reason would like to (edit: Ok it would be a special K version. But that is only because the K have one less slot free in the CT compare to the D.- In the D it is no problem what so ever.)
So outside of just giving us skinjobs there are not that many heroes to be made. And i assume they save anything from the big merc units for the CW introduction.

Edited by AlexEss, 20 December 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#40 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 20 December 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

• JR7-K Jenner Samuli - A customized Jenner for MechWarrior Samuli Rinne, which is in the service of House Kurita. The 'Mech's engine was upgraded with a 245 rated XL Engine and 3.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous Armor. By removing the standard SRM launcher, DCMS techs freed enough room to add CASE and a single LRM-15 with two tons of ammunition. Rinne's Jenner keeps the standard complement of Medium Lasers.

I said it before but I'll say it again. This is an Operation Bulldog-era design. It doesn't belong in the current era, and that appears to be a major requirement. There are a small handful of canon 'heros' piloting custom Mech designs in this era. Most of those were created in the last several years so I wouldn't exactly call them old favorites. I don't blame PGI one bit for coming up with their own to meet their requirements. I do hope to see some of that small handful appear in time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users