29 replies to this topic

#1 Llamapocalypse

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDeland, FL

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

So I've been driving light mechs since Closed Beta, and have been getting pretty good at it (generally 300-400 dmg a round, occasionally more). I'm partial to the Ravens (especially 3L), using either this build or substituting a TAG for the torso laser:

Posted Image

But I can't seem to drive anything bigger with any success, and there are only so many paint jobs that don't require MC.

So suggest a bigger build for me. The best I've done so far in a heavy was a 4LL Catapult K2, but that just felt sluggish, and Dragons seem way too fragile for some reason. I've been thinking about the Awesome 9M, but that's EXPENSIVE.

Anyway, rambling over. SUGGEST AWAY!

#2 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

If you feel that heavies are too slow, why not try mediums? I've seen some pretty fast Hunchies and Centurions out there.

Beyond that, you'll have to get used to slower speeds. Heavies are all about weaponry, so slowing down a bit is useful, as it leads to more accurate shots of low ammo weapons. Dragons are "fragile" because they have such a prominent center torso. They aren't really there to brawl. They are better at long range support, using ballistic weapons. They use their speed to stay AWAY from the enemy, not get closer. There's a 3 ac2 1 small laser dragon build out there that is kinda fun for harassment. Give it a shot.

#3 Llamapocalypse

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDeland, FL

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I hadn't thought about the Dragon's speed that way, might be worth a shot. I tried several Hunchies and the Cent A without much success, but I think that's because I tried to be independent like I can in a scout. The Dragon 1N might work with 2 AC/2, 2 MPL, and 2 streaks, hmm.

#4 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

AC/5s and UAC/5s have become quite popular lately, so you can try those as well. Outside of a light you have to be much more of a team player, but the Dragon, if you play to its strengths, gives a bit more leeway in this regard.

#5 Rusty Shackleferd

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

I finally got an XL300 engine for my dragon and I have to say it has given it a new life. One of the best advice I was given was that as a Dragon pilot "never pick a fair fight". You try to make an engage 2v1 or 3v1 because you have the speed and flexibility arm hardpoints), especially if you teammate is taking a beating(always press "Q"). I'm running a DRG-1C with 3 Large Lasers, 1 Small Laser, 1 Ac2, and AMS. Considering that you are a light pilot, I feel that you can circle strafe well. Basically with this setup, you can expand your circle and strike targets further away if you are going for a straight charge. The Ac2 is used to dislodge longer range targets and for criticals. Firing it with your Large Laser is also a good idea especially if you are running hot.

#6 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

What a familiar situation. I had the same question like couple of weeks ago. I tried several things - and exactly as in "Awesome" story... heavy after me jenner - it just feels so... odd...
Try to follow the advice and invest some money in a med. I didn't want to pilot Hunchie - the only loadout I liked - xl -P-lightbulb is useless with current state of ssmrs and lmrs. So I tried Centurion-AL. I didn't really like it - but you get that feeling - when combination of 2xSMR4 and your medlass shreds something in couple of voleys. After that - look and see what you like best - close range brawl, or hit-n-run or snipe - you can do it equally on light and med and even heavy. Now I went through cat k2 2xGauss and 'm exploring CTFs. They can pack a retty punch and still be fast... if you take 340xl -)))

Last advice - do NOT take Cicadas - most useless bulks of metal I ever seen. As a good raven pilot you must know how lovely it is to see one in front of your mech.

#7 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm sure I'll be told why I'm wrong, but try the Centurion AL. You can boost the speed to around 80 while retaining a nice punch of weapons. Also the Dragon can go mighty fast and can have a similar weapon layout to the Raven (lasers + ballistic in particular).

PS. Sandro Mc is a dirty heretic.

#8 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

The Centurion D can out-run most Mechs if you upgrade the engine... but with a 300XL it's pretty-much fast enough ;-)

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostLlamapocalypse, on 28 November 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

So suggest a bigger build for me. The best I've done so far in a heavy was a 4LL Catapult K2, but that just felt sluggish, and Dragons seem way too fragile for some reason. I've been thinking about the Awesome 9M, but that's EXPENSIVE.

Were you using an XL300 in that K2? A Heavy mech going 80kph is wonderful.

How fast were you going? How fast do you want to go? The CTF are all relatively slow, Catapults can all go roughly 80, Dragons can push over 100, amnd the AWS 9M is an Assault that can go 80.

#10 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 30 November 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

I'm sure I'll be told why I'm wrong, but try the Centurion AL. You can boost the speed to around 80 while retaining a nice punch of weapons. Also the Dragon can go mighty fast and can have a similar weapon layout to the Raven (lasers + ballistic in particular).

Try an AL with an 255XL, Endo Steel and DHS. Maxed Armor.
Mount 2 LL (RA), 2xMPL (CT) and 2xSSRM (LT/2t ammo in legs)

This build is really fast, runs quite cool and is really sturdy.
For me the key to success is to use the speed to keep your range at ~400m and only use the dual LL in link fire.
Only when an enemy gets close or your arm gets shot off use the 2MPL and the 2SSRM.
-> You will be undamaged for a very long time because the enemy will focus on closer targets.
When the time comes you get forced into a brawl you will be there with a still cool mech with full armor.
-> Good times.

Sidenote:
It works for me like a charm. This does not mean it has to worl for you as well. But maybe you can do something with it.

Edit:
A real good heavy mech for a dedicated light pilot is a K2 with a 300XL and dual AC/10 and 4xML as back up or go fully with 4xLL and a 315XL.
-> Fast and nimble and a hard punch up to 900m.

Edited by Ragor, 30 November 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#11 Hubis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'd also recommend the Dragon as, with max engine you can get up to around 97 KPH (the fastest of any non-light/non-cicada). The problem with the survivability is that they rely on their arms more than the raven for firepower, and all their components are much larger (and so make bigger targets). Then again, being a Raven pilot you should probably be used to a big, fat nose by now ;)

I really wouldn't recommend a Centurion just because, while it can go decently fast, the level of speed it has is a really different "quality" than lights. Light mechs are generally fast enough that the pilot can get out of sticky situations if they suddenly find themselves in one. Once you get below 100kph or so, you can find yourself suddenly in real trouble. Basically, you're fast enough to accidentally out-run your support, but not fast enough to get back to them before taking some real punishment. They're not BAD, but you definitely have to learn to maneuver them very differently from a light.

The Awsome-9M is another really good candidate. It suffers the same problem of being fast enough to get you in trouble but not being fast enough to save you, but it's got assault-level weapons and armor to give you more of a fighting chance. Plus it has some great hardpoints for giving you real "punch" potential if you manage to catch someone isolated.

#12 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 30 November 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Were you using an XL300 in that K2? A Heavy mech going 80kph is wonderful.

How fast were you going? How fast do you want to go? The CTF are all relatively slow, Catapults can all go roughly 80, Dragons can push over 100, amnd the AWS 9M is an Assault that can go 80.

I love me some Fast Catapults... I think the Vlar 300XL is the best thing in the Inner Sphere... and ComStar would probably agree (*wink*)

The 300XL 3LL Catapult C1 is a blast at medium ranges, the A1 SRM boats are great for slaughtering Streak Boats and slow Assaults... but all the 300XL Cats are very expensive to repair. My motto is "Only use the 300XL if you either intend on surviving the Match, or you think it's worth losing money on this match."

Edited by Prosperity Park, 30 November 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#13 Llamapocalypse

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDeland, FL

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

This is working alright for me at the moment, since I suck horribly at aiming autocannons, but I'm still tweaking it:

Posted Image

#14 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

CN9-D

This Medium will cruise. You can actually get it up over the max speed of a Raven with a big enough engine. Heck it comes Stock with a 300 XL which is 97.2 KPH if I remember correctly. That is enough speed to chase a light and keep them in range for a bit. It is enough speed to get into an Atlas' back and stick there plugging away with a Cannon, lasers, and SRMs.

You can easily equip a UAC 5(3 tons of ammo), AMS(1 ton), 2x MPLas, 2x SSRM 2 (1 ton). You move almost as fast as a Light mech, have more punch and more armor.

#15 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Oh really? Why? Is it because most cicada pilots do not armour their legs that fall so nicely off?
AL is a good choice - you get to know smrs (don't forget to open launcher shutter- otherwise aiming will be spoiled). And you still have your 4 lasers. The only reason why i didn't like it that much is because for me it's too fragile. Even if you go after zombie ability like me and put non-xl engine.

Edited by Sandro Mc, 30 November 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#16 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Oh and yes, do not sell your light - it's your farmer and your medicine for nerves - after loosing your unoptimised heavy mech - couple runs in light would be a welcome entertainment and a proven source of income. I cannot count a number of loadouts for CTF-1X I tested in last couple of days looking for champion. And new fit for heavies - costs a LOT.

#17 Iron Major

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

I actually had a lot of fun running a 300XL Dragon with only a Gauss and an ERPPC, with something in the torso for backup(ssrm2/mlas depending on chassis) just in case I lost both arms but was still alive. I also tried the AC/2 Dragon, but ultimately found the gauss+ppc more entertaining. The 80kph 4xLL K2 is also a great choice, but I can understand how even the fast heavies could feel slow to a light pilot.

#18 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostSandro Mc, on 30 November 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Oh really? Why? Is it because most cicada pilots do not armour their legs that fall so nicely off?
AL is a good choice - you get to know smrs (don't forget to open launcher shutter- otherwise aiming will be spoiled). And you still have your 4 lasers. The only reason why i didn't like it that much is because for me it's too fragile. Even if you go after zombie ability like me and put non-xl engine.

The exact reason why I got a Dragon is I can fit my AL loadout into It, and pack more armor/engine. Lack of mechbays got me to sell of my elite CN9-AL for triple Dragons (Raven in 4th slot).

Base speed of 81 k/ph(STD 300), up to 97 k/ph (XL 360). This was definitely a factor in the Dragon as my heavy mech. 60 tons, max armour, moving at 97 k/ph, a challenge for any streak user to take down this scout.

Medium mechs are really crunchy when facing heavy/assault mechs, need to use speed as an advantage. Heavy mechs can actually survive fire from an assault mech.

Heavy mech for combat/scouting, Light for scouting/harassing, Medium for whatever (just not always the best choice).

Edited by Stingz, 30 November 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#19 Korlandril

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 110 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Actually for a big uprgade in survivability i made a cicada, with max armour AMS, and 5 medium lasers and a 320 XL engine.
im moving at 139 km and with 15 double heatsinks im not overheating. Its a super effective mech and i find more survivable than lights, but with a lot more staying power. And 5 medium lasers hitting anyway is going to cause some hurt :)

#20 Wolfskin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 159 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

I went from Commando to Atlas. Ac/20, 2xSRM6+Artemis and 4MedPulseLasers. I'm having a blast!
Still - Lights are our love.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users