Why Do I Have To Add Heatsinks For An Engine?

2 replies to this topic

#1 meatbag

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I haven't played since it went open beta...

I generaly run a raven with a gauss/xl/etc

Now MW says I have to add heatsinks to my build, even though it has an effeciancy rating of 2.0+

???

#2 Spagunk

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Engines need a minimum of 10 heat sinks. If the engine is small enough, then you have unallocated heat sinks left. These must be allocated in some way. RE: TT rules and all.

#3 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostSpagunk, on 28 November 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Engines need a minimum of 10 heat sinks. If the engine is small enough, then you have unallocated heat sinks left. These must be allocated in some way. RE: TT rules and all.

In TT, all engines come with 10 heatsinks. If your engine is smaller than rating 250 then you can not fit all of those 10 HS in the engine and they must be allocated to the critical spaces on your mech, but they do not weigh anything (you already paid the weight in the engine).

In MWO, if your engine requires you to have external HS (rating 245 or lower) then they reduce the weight of the engine by 1 ton for each required HS. So the 245 engine weighs 1 ton less than it should, the 200 weighs 2 tons less, and so on.

Also, due to the subtraction of 1 ton per required heatsink, the devs added the weight of your cockpit (3 tons) and your gyro (1-4 tons) to the weight of your engine as well. The weights are the same as in TT, just in different places. There is 1 exception that I know of: the STD 100. It would have a weight of 0.0 (might have been -.5) with these rules, but in MWO that engine weighs 0.5 tons. I think we can give them a pass on that one.

(Note: I have heard that there is another engine that has an incorrect weight, but I am not sure if this is correct or not. If anyone thinks a weight is wrong please let me know, I would love to see what is incorrect about it)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users