13 replies to this topic

#1 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

So I got bored and thought, how do you role-play in a game like this? Espesially when mechwarrior and battletech is famous for roleplaying.
Beyond getting on the forums and getting into debates or insulting the Davions and watching them defend their fluffy white version of their faction you can't really roleplay in 6-10 min matches, even when they implement faction warfare in the game its the same 6-10 min matches even if it is to control a planet.(although i don't know their real plans for faction warfare i can't imagine it being different than that.)
As fun as it is to ruffle the Davions feathers (our attempts to roleplay like that is actually kind of sad) I would expect something more for mechwarrior. The other games had their singleplayer and the tabletop game is a roleplaying game defined, but there is nothing like that in MWO, is all that lore thats accumulated over the years going to go to waste beyond them just progressing the timeline as a template for releasing more mechs and tech to pilot and blow up?
Their building the game on a already built state of roleplaying and lore that surrounds mechwarrior, I don't know know about most of you but mechwarrior was more than just getting in a mech for 6-10 min and blowing **** up.
Anyways how do you roleplay in this game, food for thought, as I said I was bored. Debate, ridicule, and ponder to your hearts content.
Although don't get me wrong, combat is working its way into awesome devs, keep up the good work.

Edited by Serevn, 01 December 2012 - 01:15 AM.

#2 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

What about role playing outside of the game itself using forums or even over a voice client while having a few beers? It's always cool to hear/see what people have as a back story for their pilot, I really wish MW:O would do something like this. Even EVE had a section where you could put a bio about your character for others to read.

#3 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Technically the orginal Battletech game wasn't an RPG. It was a tabletop strategy game. Only later did they develop role-playing rules for it.

#4 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Mechwarrior is the RPG version of Battletech (and I'm not talking about the computer game).

#5 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

you could check the fan fiction section. one thread is even an rp that the objective is to kill all the Hallises in the IS. ^:P

#6 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Good question Serevn,

That would be a good question for the devs.

They do open up q&a sessions and address community ideas,

So let them hear from you.

The devs are good people, making a great game, I am sure you might catch their attention, if you approach them just right.:D

#7 Tyene

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

I know its a pipe dream, but I would love some pilot creation/walk around areas. Highly unlikely. Writing up stories and backgrounds for your character are good options. Forum interactions. Right now it seems like your best bet is just giving you background motivations. Hopefully as MWO grows there will be more RP functionality. (bars bars bars : D )

#8 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

View PostTyene, on 05 December 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

I know its a pipe dream, but I would love some pilot creation/walk around areas. Highly unlikely. Writing up stories and backgrounds for your character are good options. Forum interactions. Right now it seems like your best bet is just giving you background motivations. Hopefully as MWO grows there will be more RP functionality. (bars bars bars : D )

Well, why not? It might take years to implement, but it will open up new possibilities for microtransactions.

#9 Zanzerroth

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

So here are my thoughts on what I'd like to see in game play for both. Id like a training ground where you can learn to improve your skills and knowledge in your mech, not just a forum and videos. Some of us learn more by doing. For faction battles i think a strength gauge for an area, planet, or star system would be good, drop the gauge to zero to win that area could make area control affect things like available tech or price of repairs. For the role playing the only thing I can think of is an MMO thing where you can select missions and form parties with others from you faction. I think that this should be separate form faction wars. Lastly I'd like to see the arena return, maybe do a tear and class thing. Climb to the top of the tier and you start playing in the lowest rank of the next tier, have it divided into the four mech classes and a free for all. Just some thoughts, I'm not a programmer but I've loved mech since I was first introduced and i would love to see it flourish and grow as much as possible.

#10 Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostTyene, on 05 December 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Literally, all I want is the bars. And i'm not talking about ones where i stare at a chat window. I mean one that serves beer. One that I pay MC for and someone from the local store brings some beer to my computer.

#11 Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Here is your roleplaying.

#12 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

View PostKilgore, on 06 December 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Lol? :)

#13 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Looks like they were having fun though, good for them.

#14 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostKilgore, on 06 December 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

god... you just had to bring up LARPs... only way to make them entertaining is to watch them later with special effects, even then they are incredibly cheesy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users