[Idea][Disco] Should 'ecm' Units Better Reflect 'canon' Mechs?

37 replies to this topic

Poll: ECM Mechs (94 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support the OP's Suggestion?

1. Yes (60 votes [63.83%])

Percentage of vote: 63.83%

2. No (26 votes [27.66%])

Percentage of vote: 27.66%

3. Abstain (8 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

I have another Mech for your List...the CTX-0 Catapract...like the Raven 1X it has got those Electronic Warfare Equipment (weighting 7.5tons) and something that could be used as BAP.
To get all those stuff it has only a AC 5....and no Medium Laser in the Arms
(source is XTRO Succession Wars)

#22 Sturmforge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

I say if ECM is not going to change just let all of the mechs equip it.

#23 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Anything that gets me one step closer to the Awesome 9Q and I'll vote yes!!

#24 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

If the devs insist that ECM is fine, then all mechs should be allowed to carry it. No need to attempt to abide to canon rules, when ECM itself, is so far from canon in its implementation.

#25 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 08 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

If the devs insist that ECM is fine, then all mechs should be allowed to carry it. No need to attempt to abide to canon rules, when ECM itself, is so far from canon in its implementation.

Well, we can hope that ECM will given changes so it is just ECM. I don't agree with ECM shutting off missile systems. However, the idea (of the topic) originates from PGI's original intent to keep ECM on a per 'canon' variant for "uniqueness." This has been the case since the Spider, that I predicted might get ECM. I think they are opting for this since there are enough Mechs with variants in canon that have at least one variant with ECM. This is somewhat true for MASC as well. But, I do agree with you to an extent.

Edited by General Taskeen, 15 May 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#26 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Updated with Quickdraw possibility.

#27 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 01 December 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

I figured more people would want to discuss this...

In PGI's implementation ECM is abomination and should be separated in 3 modules.

#28 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

Lets look at BT or TT or even a MechWarrior planetary league each ECM mech has a role to play like the raven it was mostly a scout with high speed low detection it could let the lance know where to group and pounce on its opponent's another feature ECM had was to basically harass LRM and ssrm mechs so larger units in the group would be shielded by its cover.It also could take a offensive role to rid the unit of opposing light mechs. But it had in those games balanced ravens were like glass a few well placed shots and the mech was history so the pilots had to learn mad skills to survive a engagement. MWO does not reflect that type of game play for most ECM mechs to fill there roles and so until there is meta to the game and not just a Free for all or sync drops against unskilled pugs the point is mute. Posted Image

#29 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostWarge, on 22 July 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

In PGI's implementation ECM is abomination

I'm already aware.

However, the original post is by promoting more variety and giving ECM to other Mechs that should get it (that are often the 'weaker' variants, while choices are powerful competitive variants). PGI said they would re-evaluate ECM Mechs at some point and the original intent was to keep them on Mechs that did get it (eventually).

If ECM is ever changed or other additions are added, more variety is the key.

KingCobra
Pretty cool picture of a Raven. It would be interesting, if the accomplished goals of the game are met and/or re-evaluated. It be interesting, if they ever add radar, and maps with more foliage where foliage could obscure your position from radar.

Edited by General Taskeen, 22 July 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#30 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 22 July 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

the original intent was to keep them on Mechs that did get it.

ECM Atlas?

#31 Runs With Scissors

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

im guessing the Cyclops will be the next assult mech they put in. its designed as a command mech so it will probably have ECM.

#32 YourBusDriver

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:34 AM

I think only and all light mechs should be ECM capable, and no other mech class. Only Assaults and Heavies can equip AMS. Give mediums a slight speed and weapons boost, b/c they don't have anything going for them.

Screw all the speculation and mech bias.

BTW, we all know without the ECM, the Raven is a limp noodle, and worthless scrap piece.

Edited by YourBusDriver, 25 October 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#33 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:16 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 01 December 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

In my opinion, the current list of ECM equip-able Mechs should be changed. However, some of these will likely change in time anyways, based on what the Dev comment in the ECM Command Chair thread said, "As we add new Mechs into the game, some of them will be ECM capable, and we may even go back and reconsider existing Mechs deserving of the capability.":

Voted "no". I can see why ECM is only available on ones which have it now - namely Commando, Spider, Raven, Cicada and Atals. And i can see why mediums, heavies and even non-Atlas assaults should never get it, too. It's about speed and firepower. See, lights (counting Cicada as a "overgrown light", hehe) - are quick. They run fast. To survive, they need to run fast - and often, they need to change locations in order to stay alive. This means, "main forces", - which are a bunch of heavies and assaults together, - will not have ECM coverage much of the time. This is important in order to maintain viability of LRMs and SSRMs (and MRMs if they will ever be implemented and would have guidance). Make some cataphracts or jagers or hunchbacks, - or even Stalkers or Awesomes - to be ECM-capable, and SSRMS will lose much of their value, while LRMs will lose most of their value. Which is a bad thing to happen.

As for ECM Atlas, - the thing is 100-ton, thus it is significantly slower than much of "main forces". In practice, everyone loves to follow DDC exactly because it's so awesome protection from LRMs, but once firefights start and needs for flanking, tactical retreating etc appear, - many mediums, heavies and faster-than-Atlas assaults inevitably go out of ECM "umbrella", making LRMs viable and SSRMs fully functional. Also, Atlas is a most fat and easily noticeable target there could be. Give ECM to, say, a Stalker, - and the thing will be much more difficult to notice (and thus, to kill), because Atlas is taller and much wider than Stalker, and because Stalker's weapons are so high-mounted it can stay mostly behind cover. Same story for jagers, too. May be - just may be, - an Awesome with ECM could be tolerable to me, seeing Awesomes not used any much nowadays, having low arms and wide, easily spottable silouette... But still, 80-tonner can run so much faster than Atlas, and thus to cover "main forces" so much better. So i'd rather see Awesomes underplayed than whole weapons classes - LRMs, SSRMs, - underplayed.

One more thing to look at it - is: guys, sure thing, each one of us loves to run in a ECM-able mech. It's so easy to vote "yes" for more of them because of it. But think, would you like most enemy teams having nearly complete, or simply complete ECM cover whenever at 200+ meters distance from you and your teammates (so their ECM can't be countered)? I definitely wouldn't. It's good when just _some_ of enemies have ECM cover, but at least some others - don't. More diversity, makes things more interesting than when it's either no ECM at all - or total ECM cover.

Lore-wise, it seems OP is making a some very good points (as my very limited knowledge allows to say). But real-time game is not table-top. That's why i think my thoughts above deserve to be fairly considered before adding any new mech with ECM.

#34 Garamanus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • Location260+ Ping, Australia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

ECM is still powerful, in spite of TAG, PPC and Beagle Active Probe lowering its power.
Seismic was great when it first came out to lower the power of ECM, then it had a range nurf, now the movement nurf has made it almost redundant.
Not a fan

#35 Col Jaime Wolf

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

i voted no because ecm isn't even ecm its a magic shield. if PGI would have made ecm cannon i would support cannon mechs with ecm. at this moment, i would honestly rather ecm wasn't in the game and AMS was just more useful.

we never had stealth mechs in 2 or 3 or 4, and in TT ECM is a whole different animal compared to what we have.

we have combined stealth armor and the angel ecm suite rolled into one package.

#36 AMDFX8150

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

I wish my JR7-F had an ECM that would be Sick

#37 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

I apologize for not updating this thread, I probably should remove it from my sig.

I gave up on the idea due to how 'ECM' is implemented in the first place.

#38 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

I've got to agree, ECM in MWO is more like stealth armor than ECM.

If only factions mattered more for the availability of certain variants...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users