Steam Greenlight Project

49 replies to this topic

#1 Dethl0k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

i think it would help advertise the game if we could get mechwarrior onto steam using the greenlight project

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

Edited by Dethl0k, 02 December 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#2 MrPenguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Didn't they already say that they didn't want this game on steam?

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

theres no reason for this game to be on steam. steam is horrible.

#4 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

This game wouldn't get enough votes on Greenlight, they'd have to get Steam to just put it on through the standard channels. They don't want to do Steam because they don't want to give Steam a cut. (Personally once the game "launches" or whatever and it's good enough for new players to stick around I think Steam will be a huge asset).

#5 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

You can already launch MWO through Steam client. You just have to set it up manually. Once you do the steam 'overlay' works with the game.

#6 Sevaradan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

games not ready

#7 Cerebelli

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 244 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostKhobai, on 02 December 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

theres no reason for this game to be on steam. steam is horrible.

...What the hell are you talking about?

#8 Zero Neutral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

I also dislike having to run Steam to play _my_ games.

#9 BloodLegacy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 198 posts
  • LocationOregon City, OR

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

It is my opinion that Steam is the single greatest thing to happen to PC gaming since... well... ever.

#10 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostZero Neutral, on 02 December 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

I also dislike having to run Steam to play _my_ games.

Steam has saved PC gaming, whether you like it or not the PC space would be DEAD without Steam right now. Brick & Mortar for PC games has been dead for a long time...

#11 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 02 December 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Steam has saved PC gaming, whether you like it or not the PC space would be DEAD without Steam right now. Brick & Mortar for PC games has been dead for a long time...

1. A lot of people don't use steam and never will.
2. "Saved" PC gaming from what? Brick & Mortar has been dead for a while for quite a lot of things, but you can still buy games (and other stuff) online without ever touching things like steam.

#12 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostIceSerpent, on 02 December 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

1. A lot of people don't use steam and never will.
2. "Saved" PC gaming from what? Brick & Mortar has been dead for a while for quite a lot of things, but you can still buy games (and other stuff) online without ever touching things like steam.

Some people. Very few. A tiny minority of PC gamers who are in the steam demographic do not use steam. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of PC gamers use steam.

Saved it from consoles IMO, without a distribution method that generated revenue no one would make PC games. The reason that Ubisoft put Assassins Creed 3 on the PC at all is because of Steam. The reason Sid Meier was able to make Civilization 5 is because of Steam. I could go on and on, but you probably think streaks are fine so I'm not going to continue wasting my breath. Whether you like steam or not you are insane if you think Steam isn't the driving force behind PC gaming.

Edited by Captain Midnight, 02 December 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#13 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Steam was terrible back when it crashed your computer and hogged resources and only had a handful of games.

Steam is now integral with the Indie Bundles, has hundreds of good games (usually cheap), better selection than RETAILLERS (have you SEEN the game stores these days? walls of console and a shelf of pc), and runs frequent sales.

Yes, steam and its competitors are basically the last places to buy pc games these days.

I don't know if MWO is ready or not, but any publicity couldn't hurt. PGI may need to just pay the fee.

#14 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Steam takes 30% of all sales, so it would only make sense to release a game on steam if you knew it would generate enough additional revenue to offset their cut. If this game doesn't do well after official release it may very well end up on steam in an attempt to save it from going completely offline; it wouldn't be the first f2p game to go that route, and all the others seem to be doing well.

Oh and since others are weighing in on the issue, I actually like steam. DRM is terrible most of the time and we all hate it, but it is an unpleasant fact of life that will never go away. Steam is DRM that is relatively hassle-free and actually offers a lot of additional value to customers; if we must have DRM, steam is only company doing it in a way that works. Also physical media is dead to me, I don't miss having to screw around with CDs or DVDs or floppy disks or whatever. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Edited by Warrax the Chaos Warrior, 02 December 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#15 FallenFactol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTulsa

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

I really like Steam but I don't see this game going there. Mostly because it isn't finished yet, it would never be a greenlight project because there is a serious production studio behind it, though the major reason I think you will never see this game on Steam is because Steam would want a cut of about 1/3 of the dollars spent to by MC through players that started playing through Steam.

#16 Accurs3D

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostKhobai, on 02 December 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

theres no reason for this game to be on steam. this game is horrible.

FTFY.

#17 MaDD TreeD

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Sadly don't see enough threads like this one. There are more than 3 million people on steam at pretty much any time of the day. It's advertising for your exact demographic, PC Gamers. It's also free to play so with no investment people will at least try it. Steam has gotten me to play many F2P games, I would normally ignore, just out of sheer convenience.

#18 Secundus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

This game is not ready for Steam. The forums would destroy any chances of sales in my opinion. However, once the game is final PGI would be totally foolish to not have a starter pack on Steam. Steam is nearly single-handedly keeping PC gaming alive. Valve is one of the few companies not to sell out and actually treat gamers well, and helping indie developers achieve their dreams. Steam has 5 million daily players, I have 260 games purchased on that platform alone.

Edited by Secundus, 02 December 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#19 Ciel Noir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 02 December 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

You can already launch MWO through Steam client. You just have to set it up manually. Once you do the steam 'overlay' works with the game.

Yep, I did this. Remember though that steam overlay also takes some CPU... I still prefer running the game stand-alone ;p

#20 Secundus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I think the other thing about Steam Greenlight as I understand it is only for game developers that don't have a publisher, which MWO doesn't fall under.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users