43 replies to this topic

#21 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Holy crap!! First match I went toe-to-toe with an Atlas and wrecked him!

#22 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostNRP, on 05 January 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Alright, here is my 8R "Brawler" build:

STD290
16 DHS (HE = 1.16)
2 LL in RA
4 SRM6+Artemis
Endo
494 Armor (weighs in at 78)

Here is a potential issue though. Although I'm light on tonnage, I only have enough slots for 3 tons of SRM ammo, which I don't think will be enough. Perhaps Endo was the wrong choice? How did you guys deal with this?

I'd run it as is for a bit and see if you often run out. You could always drop to MLAS and have room for more ammo and heatsinks, although I'd be loath to give up the range and power of the LLAS.

#23 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

OMG! Second match and I wrecked another Atlas. This thing is LEGIT!

#24 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostNRP, on 05 January 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

OMG! Second match and I wrecked another Atlas. This thing is LEGIT!

How is your heat management?

#25 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Two alphas before heatstroke. If I alternate between LL and SRM6s, it's manageable.

#26 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I just made the switch to the 2xLL, and man was that a good choice! I'm not useless at range any more, and chaining the lasers makes for a more stable damage output.

#27 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, I chain fire the LLs too. You can fire them quite a while like that before a lot of heat builds up.

#28 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, I was actually pretty surprised at that. In the super snowy maps, both LLs together generate 4% heat.

#29 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I have a question for my fellow 8R brawlers. At what range do you typically unleash on an enemy? It seems like all 24 of the SRM6s fly pretty straight so most hit even if you're not that close. However, I seem to be most effective when I totally "bear hug" an enemy before unleashing the missiles. What is your approach?

#30 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostNRP, on 06 January 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

I have a question for my fellow 8R brawlers. At what range do you typically unleash on an enemy? It seems like all 24 of the SRM6s fly pretty straight so most hit even if you're not that close. However, I seem to be most effective when I totally "bear hug" an enemy before unleashing the missiles. What is your approach?

Short version: bear hug.

Long version: even with Artemis SRM6 still scatters pretty bad, so you want to get as close to your prey as you can, without exposing yourself too much to enemy fire. That is why this build works best in urban areas.

#31 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Helmstif,
First of all, thanks for making this thread. I would have never thought to make a brawler out of an AWS. I thought the 8R brawler would be a joke build, but it is turning out to be a really high scoring build. It's been so successful that I've already unlocked all the basics except one.

I do wonder though how you managed to get 6t of SRM6 ammo in there with Endo and DHS. I followed your build advice exactly, but I only have enough free slots for 3t of ammo.

#32 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostNRP, on 06 January 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I do wonder though how you managed to get 6t of SRM6 ammo in there with Endo and DHS. I followed your build advice exactly, but I only have enough free slots for 3t of ammo.

I, um, I actually had 7 tons of SRM ammo....

#33 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I see. You're running 4 DHS, while I'm running 6. Do you have heat problems? I guess I could drop a DHS. That would give me 3 more tons.

You're right about bear hugging. I just killed another Atlas by going "****** to ******", LOL! One annoying thing is all the black smoke from the missiles makes it hard to see what's going on.

#34 Click

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Guys, whats the top speed for yer builds? I have a similar brawler build on a stalker 5M but I feel like getting something faster, it only reaches 53.3kph

#35 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

9M (XL380): 76.9 kph
8R (STD290): 58.7 kph
8T (STD240): 48.6 kph

#36 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostNRP, on 06 January 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

I see. You're running 4 DHS, while I'm running 6. Do you have heat problems? I guess I could drop a DHS. That would give me 3 more tons.

Yeah it is quite hot. I have 2xSRM6 into a group, and another group with all four SRM6 so I could chainfire when needed. Also I usually avoid firing the large lasers up close.

#37 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Mine definitely ran hot. You have to pick your moments. Given the importance of making sure each SRM burst fully connects, I usually made sure I was withing knife fighting range before dumping.

#38 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

This is a fun build. I am not afraid of any Atlas or Cataphract. I don't always win, been if it's just me and him . . . well, let's just say there's going to be a brawl, LOL! I still won't take on a Catapult without help though. Hunchbacks are funny because they actually think they can brawl face-to-face. If they somehow survive my first alpha, they do so without arms an one of their torsos. Usually one follow up LL blast finishes them off.

I've found that swapping an ERPPC for the two LLs allows me to add another ton of ammo while still letting me be somewhat useful at range. I do think that 2 LL (chain fired) is more useful though. I am usually ok with only 3 tons of ammo because after I take down their big boy I tend to get focused on. At least I tear off a lot of arms and torsos before I go down though.

#39 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

iv been rocking this for the past few days. its pretty good. i was so hard press to keep it as a lrm boat but that boat has long sailed.

i can go toe to toe with atlas and others now. no problems with heat because i chain fire everything. this destroys srm cats cuz i dont have to open missile doors.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 12 January 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#40 Sweetandlow

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Is this still a viable build? I feel like I'm getting rocked when I try to use this, but I might have jacked something up or I'm just playing it wrong, but I'm not sure (I feel like a "brawler" should be able to brawl), check out my build and please advice. Thanks!
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a77992ef78ccad

Edited by Sweetandlow, 12 May 2013 - 01:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users