Bought Some Mc, Thinking Of Getting A Ctf-2X

20 replies to this topic

#1 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I've been a totally "free" player up until now. I decided I wanted to get something with a little more punch than the mediums and didn't want to grind forever to get there. Plus, I feel like I've easily gotten $15 worth of fun out of the game so far.

I have a RVN-4X that I've had fun with but is mostly sidelined for now since I haven't been that effective with it lately. My main ride lately has been a HBK-4SP with the stock weapons and a STD 250 engine. After some adjustment, I've gotten pretty good with it. I had a round with 900+ damage the other day (usually not quite that high, of course).

Up until recently I thought my next purchase would be a dragon since I fell like I do better in faster mechs and I enjoyed the trial dragon a while ago. However, I learned/realized in another thread that dragons need an XL engine to be able to pack a decent amount of fire power (my HBK is just as fast as a stock dragon, has almost as much armor, and has a higher alpha). I don't want an engine that costs as much as my mech, so I started looking at a CTF instead.

I've been playing around in the excel mech lab, and read through this thread as well as some others:

http://mwomercs.com/...ng-400-dmggame/

It looks like I'll enjoy the CTF-2X as long as I get used to the slower speed and changes in tactics it requires. I like the fact that I go with an energy or ballistics oriented build depending on what I want to do. I'd like to be able to rock some heavy ballistics (since I haven't done much of that yet) and also play around with PPC's a little. I know they aren't that effective at the moment, but damn, they're fun to use!

Any glaring reason I shouldn't get a CTF-2X? I'm being a little more careful about this purchase since I'm using real money this time...

Edited by malibu43, 03 December 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#2 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Reading this topic I initially wanted to say - gosh there are two well written topics on the subject, why to start new one.
However I found some reason in your doubts. Or may be I just couldn't ignore a topic with the title that I was trying to read for 5 minutes and figure out how you could bought S(ome)andro Mc. Anyway I looks like you bought me after all.

As a light pilot you may experience difficulties with much slower and much more damage-soaking CTF. She is simply big and slow... very big... and unlike dragon xl may be vulnerable to side torso hits. It is no more a light that simply runs around. To do light - especially raven - good - requires skill, but heavy requires a bit different approach and different type of positioning - with the cost of CTF maintenance and it's say issues - it may be disappointing experience in the beginning.
Speaking of costs - make sure that unless you are a AC20 fan - you will need to invest into it. You do need both DHS and ES. That costs. Loadout variations cost a lot as well and until you find something that suits you - you will spend a lot on weapons. I started poorly with ctf-1x and wasted untold on polishing something I thought would be easy to wield.

I haven't played hunchie since the last wipe, and I was never good with 4SP anyway. But supposedly you are used to it's smrs. This is a con for going CTF-2X.

BTW - Yay! - dragons are cool. I will probably start them as soon as finish CTFs.

#3 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the input. Actually, you brought up a good point.

Without an XL engine (let's just assume stock config), what kind of repair costs am I looking at if I get pretty torn up? That is something I forgot to ask about. I want my purchase to be cash-flow positive.

#4 Isidro

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Aha!

I was in your position before I got my CTF - 2x. The transition from light > to medium > to the CTF - 2x can really suck. Like Sandro MC said, its slow as @#$% and B I G. And because it is a fairly "new" kid in the field, everyone wants a piece of it. Take for example this simple equation:

New + Slow + Big + (X) = Dead Pilot

replace X with either "You" or "Enemy"

I would suggest getting the CTF - 3D instead because of the JJ. The added maneuverability really helps. And the hardpoints on a 3D lets you load quad LLas or Dual uac5/GF. Or if you are into ballistics CTF - 4x can go quad ac5/uac5! Daka = Fun ;)

Of course its all about playstyle. You can checkout this
http://mwowiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Cataphract
for some more details on the mechs.

Edited by Isidro, 03 December 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#5 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostIsidro, on 03 December 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

Aha! I was in your position before I got my CTF - 2x. The transition from light > to medium > to the CTF - 2x can really suck. Like Sandro MC said, its slow as @#$% and B I G. And because it is a fairly "new" kid in the field, everyone wants a piece of it. Take for example this simple equation: New + Slow + Big + (X) = Dead Pilot replace X with either "You" or "Enemy" I would suggest getting the CTF - 3D instead because of the JJ. The added maneuverability really helps. And the hardpoints on a 3D lets you load quad LLas or Dual uac5/GF. Or if you are into ballistics CTF - 4x can go quad ac5/uac5! Daka = Fun ;) Of course its all about playstyle. You can checkout this
 http://mwowiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Cataphract 
for some more details on the mechs.

Thanks for the link. That was helpful.

I'd get the 3D, but I only bought $15 worth of MC, so I can't get the "fancy" variant.

Well, I keep flip flopping back and forth between the Dragon and the CTF. Or maybe I should just get a Cat K2 so I can play with PPC's or Gauss.

Grrrr.....

#6 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Sorry I only tired non-xl ctfs couple of times and do not remember the repair cost. Will track cost from couple of matches with my xl340 though...
About agility and speed - 2x with xl 340 goes fine and I do love this mech, she is beautiful. Just finished a 5-8 macth, top damage dealer, two kills 5 assists... we lost though... was caught in the 3rd line of valley behind a relatively small hill with streack-ML cat and some lmrs constantly dropping on me... good match - 2 kills and a lot of adrenaline, but bad in terms of - my whole pack died on the 3rd line and mostly because for our atlas and our ctfs hills around there are to low... Still - stick with the pack I had to because you do not want to be alone on ctf ever. Even if the pack decides to attack on the 3rd which is bad idea...

naaay... don't take k2... it's simply boring... a number of known loadouts... and not much you can do with outside of the box - nothing to play with really. Too bleak for me. And unlike ctf you will die on the first a bit better than nothing jenner...

Edited by Sandro Mc, 03 December 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#7 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Go with the 1X. I can replicate most of my pinpoint builds from the 3D to the 1X and vice-versa, the difference is 1 more energy hardpoint to the expense of JJ capability and.. oh well, very low cost compared to the 3D.. But If you can afford it, wait for the Ilya hero tomorrow.. it will give you a c bill boost bonus.

#8 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

I run the 2X with ERPPC, AC20, ML x2, SSRM2 x2. ES and DHS.

It runs way too hot to alpha much. Leave the ERPPC for stand off's and closing (probably better off with the reg PPC to stop you offloading point blank and overheating (which I SIMPLY CAN'T STOP MYSELF FROM DOING).

Max armor save a small bit off the legs and regular engine to make it a solid brawler (69.4kph with speed tweak).

It actually tends to do less dmg than the 3D and 4X, but its a far better all round battle line mech. Unless the hero cata turns out to be something special, I'd say you are best with the 2X over the other variants (caveat, I have yet to play the 1X).

#9 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

View Postmalibu43, on 03 December 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Thanks for the input. Actually, you brought up a good point.

Without an XL engine (let's just assume stock config), what kind of repair costs am I looking at if I get pretty torn up? That is something I forgot to ask about. I want my purchase to be cash-flow positive.

My heavy mechs with ammo usually get shredded badly at around 70k. That's if I do stuff like tank with my side torsos to live longer and lose more armor. Having repairs of 40-60k are normal if you just get cored normally. Of course it's much cheaper if you actually survive.

My assault mechs reach up to 90-100k repairs on bad days.

#10 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Thanks guys.

After all this, I ended up going with a DRG-1C. I used the trial CTF-1X and found that the AC and PPC hardpoints were so low that I had a hard time hitting far off targets unless they were completely in the open. I also found myself having a hard time getting used to the speed.

I played with my Dragon a little this AM and messed around with loadouts. I doubt I'll be able to afford to run with an XL engine in it any time in the near future (especially not with my current K/D ratio). I'm not sure if I'm happy with my purchase yet...

#11 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

View Postmalibu43, on 04 December 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

Thanks guys.

After all this, I ended up going with a DRG-1C. I used the trial CTF-1X and found that the AC and PPC hardpoints were so low that I had a hard time hitting far off targets unless they were completely in the open. I also found myself having a hard time getting used to the speed.

I played with my Dragon a little this AM and messed around with loadouts. I doubt I'll be able to afford to run with an XL engine in it any time in the near future (especially not with my current K/D ratio). I'm not sure if I'm happy with my purchase yet...

Try loading 2 ER Large Lasers into your upper shoulder slot, and some medium lasers into your arm. Maybe an SSRM if you can afford it. Get double heatsinks ASAP.

The shoulder weapon mount on the dragon is so high, you can basically fire over any cover. Just peek up above a hill, and rain unholy death on the enemy at extreme range.

#12 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

My first heavy of the open beta that I also bought with Mc was the CTF-1x. I love this mech, I do duel large ER lasers, duel mediums, an uac5, and...something I have double heat and endosteel and a standard engine and I love it. I have had a lot of good fights with this mech and because of the engine and "cheapish" weapons. costs me 50k Cbill max to fix. In my 2x I went for med lasers x3, ac10, and 2 srm4s. I use it as a brawler and I like it. For me the key is keeping it cheap, standard engine is key when you are learning.

Btw I will like to mention in the closed beta I was all lights and mediums and the CTF is the first complete line of heavies I have bought and it is a well balanced mech with speed/price/hardpoints. I highly recommend them.

#13 Wizard Steve

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hands down the best thing to buy with MC is premium time. Second is a hero mech. Don't waste MC on a CBill mech.

#14 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Seconded for the hero mech. A 30% CBill bonus on a mech you can play forever is a free player's best friend, especially if it's a chassis that you want to master anyway.

Premium time ends eventually, but a hero mech you can keep for grinding cbills later. And in the immediate future, it makes buying the 2x you've been eyeballing that much more affordable.

#15 I WildCard I

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I run the CTF 2x as my go to mech platform.

Mech is equipped with a loadout that goes somthing like this. ( Im at work right now)

XL 300 Engine

Endosteel Internals

Dual heat sinks

Gauss Rifle 3 tons of ammunition

1 medium pulse laser (Arm)

2 medium lasers (Left CT/ Right CT)

2 SRM 6 packs in the arm w/ ARTEMIS

As long as you can use the speed effectively this mech is an absolute beast. 75KPH with speed tweak. Consistently over 500 dmg. Good luck. You dont need the Ilya until you decide you want the C bill bonus. I honestly like the loadout on the 2x more...

#16 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm normally an advocate for Heroes/Premium Time, but since you already bought the DRG-1C I suppose it's too late to think about that.

For that build, I like using 4 medium pulse lasers. They work like a charm on Light mech targets - lead the target with your arm reticle but make sure your torso reticle aims directly at the Light. Then, fire, and allow the two reticles to auto converge. Regardless of lagshield, this method ensures you hit >80% of your firepower onto the Light, which is much more effective than any other method I've tried so far. When aiming at slower, larger chassis, forget the leading part, and just whack all 4 MPLAS at the same location for 24 damage alphas. SSRM2 in the centre torso helps if you're trying to kill lights in a dedicated way, or SRM6 might be better if you're intending to kill heavier chassis as well. If you still have tonnage drop an AC/2 into the ballistics reticle to harass people at long range. It won't do all that much damage, mind, but the idea is just to have something to plink at people with until you get close enough for your main guns (4xMPLAS) to apply. Because these weapons use few criticals, you can afford to run XL, Endo and DHS simultaneously.

#17 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Well, I'm going to re-open this conversation.

I'm actually pretty happy right now with my DRG-1C. Been doing pretty well with DHS, ES, 4 x MLAS, SRM6, and AC5. I've actually earned enough CB for a Cataphract again. I'm not really sure if I'm interested in "Eliting" chassis by spending hard earned CB on something I don't really want...

After initially thinking 2X, I'm now leaning 1X. Every mech I have has SRM's, and I'm thinking it might be time to try something more energy focused...

#18 Wizard Steve

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Energy FTW!

#19 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

View Postmalibu43, on 16 December 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

Well, I'm going to re-open this conversation.

I'm actually pretty happy right now with my DRG-1C. Been doing pretty well with DHS, ES, 4 x MLAS, SRM6, and AC5. I've actually earned enough CB for a Cataphract again. I'm not really sure if I'm interested in "Eliting" chassis by spending hard earned CB on something I don't really want...

After initially thinking 2X, I'm now leaning 1X. Every mech I have has SRM's, and I'm thinking it might be time to try something more energy focused...

You don't really need to break out Elite if you don't want to. As long as you fill out the basic efficiencies of a mech it's good for some fun games. If you feel like trying out a different mech, go ahead. My K2 had been sitting without elites for quite some time and I still had a blast with it (though it's all filled up to 4/4 elites now). I still have mechs that I play that don't have elites such as my Yen Lo Wang, my Dragon 1C, and my Awesome 9M. I'm not too comfortable with their playstyles yet so I am not sure if I will do any good if I max them out For now they are there for me to tinker with while I get a better feel for their performance.

Really, just go with what's fun, but be sure to read up first so you don't have any regrets!

#20 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

My couple of cents would be - 1x is much less versatile than 2x... don't get trapped -)
Although when they'll do energy weapons rebalance it may happen to be very effective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users