Is The Atlas Really A Brawler?

90 replies to this topic

#41 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

You should hit me up on TS. I will help you fix up your Assaults.

#42 Particle Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Its threads like this that makes me wish for a Solaris type game mode ;)

#43 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

The Atlas is whatever you want it to be, except fast.

The better question is if you should be piloting an atlas with your skill set. From the sound of it, thats a no.

Edited by Roughneck45, 03 December 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#44 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostDoobles, on 03 December 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

I find the Atlas to be more of a firing support mech rather than a brawler. I say this because it is big and slow and cannot turn too fast. Heavy mechs can accumulate enough speed to run circles around an Atlas and dispose of it easy. Also its height can make it difficult to fend off smaller mechs. If it is not under direct fire, it can unleash a ton of damage, but when directly engaged it gets distracted and dies because it is just a giant slow moving target at that point.

Brawlers aren't meant for killing lights. Just because the Atlas is slower doesn't mean it can't twist quickly after it is leveled in the pilot lab.

View PostParticle Man, on 03 December 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

Its threads like this that makes me wish for a Solaris type game mode ;)

I figure it's about a year out.

#45 Vila deVere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostKaspirikay, on 03 December 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Its such a huge and slow mech with multiple weakpoints. Sure, it can dish out a huge alpha... then what? Get its arm blown off, get its sides critted.

Almost everytime I engage in close combat, I'll come out with a few weapons and an arm short.

What I'm wondering is why is it so fragile? Its worst than my Cat at brawling. Its so slow, it makes it an easy target. If I find myself in a bad spot, I can't escape and have to die.

Anyone else have this problem, am I doin' it rong or is it working as intented?

Umm... L2P? With a good brawler build, it's the best brawler in the game.

#46 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

The Atlas is an allrounder like the Centurion or Orion, but you can still use it as a brawler(AS7-D: x4 ML's, AC/20 and SRM-6). LRM-20 for indirect firesupport. In my eyes, mechs with an effective short range direct fire loadout like Hunchback 4G or the Annihilator are real brawlers.

#47 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

A good atlas pilot thinks several minutes ahead, since that's how long it takes him to get somewhere.
However once a good atlas pilot gets where he's going, he'll lay down a world of hurt.

People think atlas are slow, and they're right, but that doesn't mean you can't maneuver, and it doesn't mean jenners have free reign on you, it just means you need to be very aware of your surroundings, sight lines, allies, and cover.

In short atlas takes skill to play, it takes planning to get around being the biggest and slowest thing on the field long enough to bring your massive arsenal into play.

#48 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I would like to introduce you to "tiny" my D-DC....

1 AC20
3 SRM6+Artemis
2 Med Pulse Lasers
1 AMS
Soon to incorporate ECM (May have to drop an SRM6 down to a 4)

Atlas is one of the most survivable mechs so long as it is well supported....The counter to the Atlas Firepower and armor is speed. A decent pilot in a 60kph hunchback 4sp can take down an atlas solo . Dragons are an annoyance not to be ignored to an atlas because of their high base speed to begin with. Bottom line if you dont have support to scrape jenners off your legs and distract enemies you will melt like icecream on caustic.

#49 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

I don't think some of you guys know what the word brawler means. Brawling is the act of taking direct and constant fire while still being able to output high damage as long as possible. A Hunchback is not a brawling mech. That statement made me laugh.

Edited by Konrad, 03 December 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#50 H Minus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Am I the only one who, when piloting an atlas, loves to have 3-4 light mechs swarm me?...good good practice there.

#51 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Vader did fine for me in a brawl. You just need to look at the weapon payload and modify it for close up brawler action.

1. standard eng. so they have to blow every part of you mech off to kill you.

2. pick your weapon package for close combat if your brawl style you dont want LRM and tons of ammo. You want streaks or SRMs, Small lasers, AC 10 or AC 20

3. Max out armor you have a 100 tons to work with.

Its all about taking the time to build the Atlas for the job you want it to do.

#52 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

You can do everything with an atlas.

Apart from walking around alone. That is suicide.

#53 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

It's a great brawler, but that doesn't mean that it automatically destroys anything within range. You need some medium support to protect your back. You need to choose your spot to fight, and because of your speed, you need to make sure that once you step into an area, you are guaranteed to hold it.

All of that said, it can mount a truly intimidating amount of firepower, and it brings the most firepower on two legs in this game. You can load up on almost any kind of weapon - 3 Large Lasers, 4 Medium Pulse Lasers, 3 SRM6s, 3 SSRM2s, AC/20, 2 AC/5, Gauss... you combine the 3 weapon types into a truly formidable array of close range weaponry. For a while I had a build that was 2 Large Pulse Lasers, 1 AC/20, and 3 SRM6. It ran far too hot, it was a very niche build, but once it entered a tunnel, it was the only thing that would exit. Even allies. Boom!

One huge advantage for the Atlas is the tiny cockpit. This is a massive advantage at point blank range.

Edited by Dr Killinger, 03 December 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#54 nemesis271989

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 239 posts
  • LocationDunno

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

ATlas is a great mech!it can ake many differnt roles. To me d-dc is the best alas ever . 3 missile hard points 2 balistics and 2 lasers. Only your imagination and play style can limit you. Yes it is slow, yes jenners are like ants under feet I hope that one day net code will be fixed and we will be able to take down a jenner with one alpha (with good timing, luck, and aiming.)

#55 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 03 December 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

The Atlas was designed for point defense and scouting in Steiner territory. It's just been pigeonholed into a million different roles to make up for the fact that our two Assault choices right now are a Broken 80-ton Furnace and a Thwomp from Super Mario 64.

A post this good deserves a visual aid:

Posted Image

Edited by Sephlock, 04 December 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#56 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

View PostKaspirikay, on 03 December 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Its such a huge and slow mech with multiple weakpoints. Sure, it can dish out a huge alpha... then what? Get its arm blown off, get its sides critted.

Almost everytime I engage in close combat, I'll come out with a few weapons and an arm short.

What I'm wondering is why is it so fragile? Its worst than my Cat at brawling. Its so slow, it makes it an easy target. If I find myself in a bad spot, I can't escape and have to die.

Anyone else have this problem, am I doin' it rong or is it working as intented?

Posted Image

#57 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

The Problem of the Atlas are sometimes the Pilots:
Yes an Atlas is an Assault and shouldn't back up, but on the other side don't rush when you team ist not following.

Had one of the Best examples in a current Match:
City Map, Atlas was on Upper Point.
Went with my A1 on Island between Buildings and shot on first lock one lrm 15 to draw enemy or push him behind...

I drew the Atlas as he walked into the open Water and assault me, couldn't pass below the bridge and as i went immediatly into cover he didn't noticed that i had 2x lrm15 and 4x ssrm 2

And he was stuck at 190 meters thanks to the bridge and in firerange of 3 other mechs. i lost arm Armor and nearly got cored. But we putt out their best Mech because the pilot was stupid.

I went on LRm mode afterwards and spend the rest of my LRM from save distanz... they were short of an Atlas and only damaged a Cpt-A1 because the Atlas Pilot was stupid or overconfident... to attack an Longrangen Cpt which annoyed him....

Edited by Elkarlo, 04 December 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#58 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

The problem with the Atlas is that in brawling, EVERYONE aims at the Atlas so it always get the most fire as such, Atlas can hardly survive an all out headon brawl.

#59 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

If you engage another enemy head on without support on either side, it's very likely that one mech is destroyed and the other severely damaged. (Unless the enemy is lagshielded, then you lose and the other enemy kills you, maybe).

That is why it's very important to focus fire at all times - you take out the enemy more quickly, and dead enemies can't shoot you.

#60 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is the speed. The speed extends life. The speed expands consciousness. The speed is vital to travel. The Jenner mech and it's pilots, who the speed has mutated over 4,000 years, use the speed, which gives them the ability to fold space. That is, travel to any part of universe without moving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users