Drop Of The Week Returns!

20 replies to this topic

#1 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

As the title says, I wanted to get a post started to recommend that a drop of the week format be adopted once again with Phase 2 looking to go live tomorrow.

While this will not always be followed, it will at least give organized groups and dropship TS groups a starting place when doing the full 8v8 drops and give a higher probability of balanced drops as opposed to seeing 8 Jenners vs 8 Atlas.

To keep it simple I would recommend that the first drop of the week be a 2222.

The standard drop format is Assault, Heavy, Medium, Light (AHML).

Subsequent weeks the drop would be changed on Tuesday following a new patch and the order would go something like this:

Week 1: 2222
Week 2: 1331
Week 3: 2321
Week 4: 1133
Week 5: 3221

Another option would be to do a drop based on total tonnage and again operating off of the honor system. So for Week 1 it could be 550 tons, allowing Team 1 to have 4 Jenners (140 t) and 4 Atlas (400 t) and Team 2 fielding 2 Ravens (70 t), 2 Hunchbacks (100 t), a Catapult and a Cataphract (135 t), and 2 Atlas (200 t). Clearly just an example, but the variability would be even better.

As with the previous drop format, it would change each week.

I admit, perhaps this is a crazy notion and this isn't something that people want at all, but I know our group at the very least will be following a relatively organized drop structure, and I can only imagine other groups will be as well. I see this is a way to help level the playing field for all involved in the 8v8 matchups.

Edited by DragonsFire, 04 December 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#2 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

This only works if there is a large number of 8mans doing this (which will most likely not be the case) because weight classes are not enforced.

Hopefully we will be able to chose who we get to fight against in the future (remove all C-Bill/XP gain/loss for these matches so there is no way to abuse them for gain) so that the community can begin to start their own leagues and ways to do tournaments.

If you add this ONE thing, this game will explose in popularity.

#3 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I would wager that the amount of 8 man groups running will be much higher than most expect given that there a number of people who stopped playing until Phase 2 was reintroduced. Additionally on the NGNG TS or either of the Comstar TS servers, there are typically 10-12 dropships of 4 mans running at peak, more than enough to sufficiently put together 8 man groups.

This topic is more aimed at the latter section of people as the Merc corps and House units will very likely be doing an organized drop as it is. I just wanted to provide a potential starting place for those with no current affiliation. I know that any 8v8 PUG drops I run will follow this as well.

#4 Splitpin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNoo Zeelund

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

++ agreed. I hope this could become the norm. Balanced games.

#5 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Fortunately I think there are enough people out there looking for competitive games that this would be useful to a large portion of the community if it was followed once again as it was in Closed Beta.

#6 Sikosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLake Ozark, Mo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

as a part of the original establishment of this platform I look forward to its return! BCMC Approved!

I suppose I am missing something though, when people say the 8s MM will drop 8 jenners versus 8 atlas, where are we seeing such a suggestion? I was always under the understanding that matching would be done based on chassis and that eventually pilot skill would alter that a bit only in regards to whom you are facing, not what you're piloting.

#7 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostSikosis, on 03 December 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

as a part of the original establishment of this platform I look forward to its return! BCMC Approved!

I suppose I am missing something though, when people say the 8s MM will drop 8 jenners versus 8 atlas, where are we seeing such a suggestion? I was always under the understanding that matching would be done based on chassis and that eventually pilot skill would alter that a bit only in regards to whom you are facing, not what you're piloting.

Currently Phase 2 of MM will only match 8v8 only and not on chassis at this time. I know Phase 3 will be taking skill (ELO) into account, not sure about drop weight though. I know that sometimes people like to go with a monobuild drop (ie 8 Streakcats, 8 AC20 Ravens, etc), hence the statement of possibly seeing completely unbalanced matchups. ;)

That being said, perhaps a further iteration could be added to this where one night, say Fridays, is monobuild night, and the drops all consist of 1 weight class and no others. Again, given that this wouldn't be a strict implementation, people can and will deviate from it, but it will help the majority of groups see more consistent matchups.

#8 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I think it's a good idea. I will ask groups that I'm in to follow the format.

#9 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Again I say, give us a LOBBY, and all will be solved.

#10 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 03 December 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Again I say, give us a LOBBY, and all will be solved.

I would wager a lobby is in the works, regardless, please let's keep this thread on topic. ;)

#11 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Give me a million dollars; and all (my monetary problems) will be solved ;)

(We're working on systems, GOD!)

Also I highly approve of this thread. Though we all know a mixed force of Jenners and Cicadas is impossible to defeat.

#12 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Garth, do you mean Jenners and Fat Jenners? :D. I have to admit, my enjoyment of 8-mans will be greatly increased if people follow this scheme. On the other hand, if certain single-model teams are pwning face consistently, that would be a good sign to the devs that something need balancing.

I approve of 2222 teams. ;)

#13 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 December 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Give me a million dollars; and all (my monetary problems) will be solved ;)

(We're working on systems, GOD!)

Also I highly approve of this thread. Though we all know a mixed force of Jenners and Cicadas is impossible to defeat.

I have a 4X that begs to differ. :D Hard for those little buggers to get far without their legs! And one of my favorite games to play right now is Jenner trap shooting!

Edit: Also, could I perhaps request a temporary pinning of this topic for a bit more visibility for other people/groups that are not currently online?

Edited by DragonsFire, 03 December 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#14 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Yes, sticky please!

#15 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Shameless bump. ;)

#16 Splitpin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNoo Zeelund

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Could this be stickied please, it deserves publicizing.

#17 Truthstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Support the 2222 lance format as the standard. Tournaments can mix up the formats.

#18 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I think 2222 offers the most balanced potential format, but I can't see it being held for more than a week at a time.

#19 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Looking across 3 different TS servers I see at least 16 groups of 8 dropping currently, and it's still early in the day. Any more takers on attempting to implement the drop of the week format once again?

#20 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

I would like to see the drop of the week change to total tonnage instead of a mix of classes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users