Petition For More Painting Options On Founder And Hero Mechs

88 replies to this topic

Poll: Paint for founder and hero mechs. (218 member(s) have cast votes)

You believe the Special Edition mechs should have more options for painting. Which category best describes you?

1. I'm a founder and I think you should be able to paint founder/hero mechs. (173 votes [79.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.36%

2. I'm a non-founder and I think you should be able to paint founder/hero mechs. (45 votes [20.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Thirdrail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Private
  • Private
  • 169 posts
  • LocationI'm just wandering around.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A POLL. IT IS A PETITION. I set it up as a poll because it's the best way to collect individual signatures. Even if the thread itself reaches 700 pages, half of that will likely be the same 6 to 12 people arguing back and forth, like virtually every other thread on the forum. There's no "anti-signing" of a petition, so you can either agree, or just not sign it. You are, of course, free to make your own counter petition if you feel that strongly about the subject!

This is a petition to get some real paint options for the founder and hero mechs. Understand that the Founder Mechs are special models, so it is unlikely we will ever get the full range of camo spec for them. It's unreasonable to expect to PGI to rework every new skin, like Urban Block and Dazzle, to fit a different set of models. This is just about getting the three basic colour choices - primary, secondary, and tertiary - for the special skin that comes with hero and founder mechs.

Points to consider on this subject:

- As Albert Tottleman so correctly points out later in this thread, the introduction of ECM has expanded this petition from the realm of pure cosmetics, and into areas of raw functionality. With large sensor blind brawls occurring on a constant basis, sharing your unit colour, or even having a uniquely painted mech your pick-up team mates can recognize easily, now has a significant effect on game play and survivability.

- The original founder's paint scheme has already been changed. Piranha altered the white trim on these mechs and made it brown instead. Founders have to pay real money to get the stripe back to white.

- It's just four mechs. We're not asking for the sun and the stars here. Also, no one is saying it needs to be done in the next 72 hours. If they just updated one founder mech a month, we'd have all four done by April.

- Founders make up a sizable portion of PGI's best customers. These are people who shelled out $30-120 to kickstart a game that was years from being truly finished, and helped make everything about MWO possible in the first place. Their founder mechs shouldn't be completely excluded from shiny new toys like being able to change their colour schemes. The same is mostly true of people who shell out $15-25 (and who knows how much in the future) for hero variants. Again, not asking to change the Yen's stripes, just asking for the option of recolouring them. All of that aside, encouraging your best customers to continue shopping is just common sense.

- The person who wrote the Nov. 30th Weekly Review talked about painting their Ilya Muromets black and white, and how cool it looked. This means some of what we're asking for is already in place, we just aren't allowed to use it.

- The worst that could happen is that PGI would make some more money. There's really no downside to making this minor change to the game, and it would make a lot of people happy, all of whom have already helped the support the game's production. Some portion of the development team is already devoted to these aesthetic designs, so it's not like the net-code optimization is going to be put on hold to deal with this issue.

Lastly, I will make a plea to all who respond here, whether they agree or disagree with me, the petition, or their fellow responders... PLEASE BE COOL. There's no need for either side to get insulting or mean-spirited. Let's pretend we're all tabletop gamers, capable of sitting across the hex map from each other and having a civilized discussion.

Edited by Thirdrail, 08 December 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#2 Alois Hammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Wow, no bias here- you get your choice of "Should be able to paint Hero/Founder mechs" or "Should be able to paint Hero/Founder mechs."

Nice to see a non-troll poll for a change. :P

#3 Jadel Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

haha yeah its awesome.

#4 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Actually, while the poll may seem biased, he has a point:
You don't have to vote.

Other than that, everything else is very well thought out.
(And if you think about it, I'm sure there are trolls lurking on these forums who always vote the 'no' options in polls just because they can.)

#5 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Very much signed. I hate not being able to run unit colors in the founder's 'mech, but not being able to do it in Hero 'mechs will actively discourage me from buying hero 'mechs.

EDIT: Also the poll is a petition, not a poll. Voting at all "signs" it. It's not meant as a question folks.

Edited by Victor Morson, 04 December 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#6 Thirdrail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Private
  • Private
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostAlois Hammer, on 04 December 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

Wow, no bias here- you get your choice of "Should be able to paint Hero/Founder mechs" or "Should be able to paint Hero/Founder mechs."

Nice to see a non-troll poll for a change. :)

View PostThirdrail, on 04 December 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

DISCLAIMER: This is set up as a poll because it's the best way to collect individual signatures. Even if the thread itself reaches 700 pages, half of that will likely be the same 6 to 12 people arguing back and forth, like virtually every other thread on the forum. There's no "anti-signing" of a petition, so you can either agree, or just not sign it. You are, of course, free to make your own counter petition if you feel that strongly about the subject!

I'm honestly not sure how much more direct I could have been about the design of this petition. I literally began the whole post by explaining exactly why it's set up the way it is. But I apologize if it is, in some way, vague or unclear. =[

#7 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Cool poll, bro. "Yes or Yes"

-1 I'm a founder and I enjoy the unique paint scheme of my Founder's Atlas. I'd prefer PGI spend their time on productive things instead of coddling a few needy people.

Edited by Franklen Avignon, 04 December 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#8 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostFranklen Avignon, on 04 December 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

Cool poll, bro. "Yes or Yes"

-1 I'm a founder and I enjoy the unique paint scheme of my Founder's Atlas. I'd prefer PGI spend their time on productive things instead of coddling a few needy people.

Yup.

I'm a Founder, and feel both Founders and Hero mechs should remain just as they are. There's plenty for the art folks to do toward improving the game without revisiting things that are done and crossed off the list.

#9 Camulos

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I definitely think we should be able to paint Founder and Hero Mechs.... You can force us to keep the same camo patterns but let us change the color schemes so we can match up with our regiments.

#10 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

I think the stripe on the Founder mechs are good enough.

I should make a poll with two options as well...

"No, I'm a Founder and we should not be able to paint the entire thing"

and

"No, I'm not a Founder and they should not be able to paint the entire thing"

#11 EnigmaNL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Yes, please PLEASE let me paint my founders 'mechs!

Also I think non-founders shouldn't have a say in it, they didn't purchase them.

#12 Kobura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDeep Frozen South

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

Direct splat of what I wrote before.

View PostKobura, on 03 December 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

View PostDerelictTomcat, on 30 November 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Everything or nothing was what made me quote the above post. Along with the entitlement generation comes the black and white generalization of I want it this way or I don't want it at all. Sounds like a small spoiled child no?

Units worried about painting all their mechs the same? Are you guys serious? Ever do this MW unit thing before? Good luck getting everyone to wear their tags never mind wearing something as trivial as a color.

I've been here before I've dealt with guys that just like to complain when there is nothing they can change. I remember the group argument a month before release of Guildwars if we were going to wear the cape as a group. Before the game was even released, before we knew you could not take it off. One guy grinds the unit to a halt.

I blame Burger King for starting the whole have it your way thing.

Oh BTW my opinion... Leave it alone and concentrate on things that need to be done. Awesome job on removing the death blur guys! I don't see where people say the founders skins changed, I don't see where they feel they can complain about anything being the game is beta or in other words subject to change.

I want my unique thing and I'd really like it to be my way. I don't "want it my way or not at all", Please don't put words in my mouth. I'll continue to drive my Founders mechs no matter what they look like. It's all smeared mud to me anyway on min-spec. But it'd be really nice if I could color it to my unit...whatever we opt toward for coherent coloring. The Iron Sharks haven't really made a big deal about it.

Also, I don't know what problems your unit has as far as pride of membership, but every Shark is ECSTATIC to have their [SHARKS] badge on them in TS, many looking forward to espousing their status in game, and even some lonewolves that swim with us on a regular basis hand-write [SHARKS] infront of their name because they're looking to form up. I've fielded questions from three members asking what the unit colors are so they can paint their mechs up that way (my current answer is: none, I don't want you spending MC on paint, but we'll think of something)

View PostPapaKilo, on 01 December 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Wow. Seems like I'm about the only person who actually wants to keep the Founder and Hero 'Mechs special.

PGI:

Don't listen to these people. Keep the Founder and Hero 'Mechs unique. And remove the option to change the stripe color on the Founder 'Mechs. Better to have no option to change it than to have a half-azzed option. But first, change the stripe color back to white like it was before.

Let me interpret your post as I read it as it applies to me (this isn't me being sarcastic this was literally my internal monologue as I read this) -

Ignore these opinions from people that aren't me or think like me. Remove the only vestige of individuality that they currently have, and make it all the same.

_____

Here's my plea: PGI - Listen to all these opinions. Weigh the resources required versus the benefit gained, versus the ongoing difficulty of entertaining and finally going with one point of view versus another.

My personal request is yes, allow the Founder's Skin, make it a camoflage pattern with unique colors that can be easily reconstructed, but permit the Founders' Mechs to use default/other camoflages too. Do it in good time, on your own recognizance balanced against how much effort it'd take, keeping in mind it's a cosmetic change and only mildly effectual.

But know that making some sort of statement of intent will certainly put this to an easy rest one way or another.

#13 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

OP +1.

Would have loved to buy 'Ilya Muromets', but #1 I do not like the paintjob at all (not meant offensive, but it looks for me like a russian circus wagon) and #2 I run a unit and we run our own colour scheme on all of our mechs.
-> no place for a hero in a unit. :o

Edit:
Sidenote:
Yes, hero mechs are supposed to be unique -> special paintjob.
Valid point until two generations of Allards are on the battlefield and both pilot the same unique mech - per team.

Edited by Ragor, 05 December 2012 - 02:29 AM.

#14 EnigmaNL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

I'll just put this quote from the other topic here:

View PostThirdrail, on 27 November 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

"Here's a new toy for everyone! Now you can repaint your favorite mechs! Except you, people who gave us money to help us eat and keep our lights on. Your favorite mechs don't get the toy. Not only that, but while you were away, we drew on your special mech with a poop coloured crayon!"

Edited by EnigmaNL, 05 December 2012 - 02:37 AM.

#15 BigJim

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

I'd love to have my Founder's Cat look like the image in my sig, it's just too cool a model to use such a shonky looking skin as they have atm - I too run unit colours on all my mechs, and as such the founder's Cat hasn't been taken out since the paintjobs came in.

#16 DerelictTomcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Founder mechs are what they are. Leave them be...

Am I the only to notice at least with the atlas it appears there is a completely different texture model on the founders mech? I know there is a camera angle difference if not a height difference between my founders atlas and my other two.

Should be a vote for I'm a founder and I do not need to paint my founders mechs.

View PostKobura, on 05 December 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

Direct splat of what I wrote before.

I got yer Splat!

Actually people worry and complain over the silliest things. This is such a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by DerelictTomcat, 05 December 2012 - 02:46 AM.

#17 EnigmaNL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

View PostDerelictTomcat, on 05 December 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

Am I the only to notice at least with the atlas it appears there is a completely different texture model on the founders mech? I know there is a camera angle difference if not a height difference between my founders atlas and my other two.

Actually people worry and complain over the silliest things. This is such a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

Only the head is different and I don't notice a camera angle or height difference.

Also this is not a non-issue. This might be a non-issue for YOU but not for us.

#18 Hayato1983

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

We are base players, we want to paint, Its only 4 mechs, Might take a few hours or couple of days, we can wait, we can change 1 color, make all 3 colors viable. Fix whatever you need to fix, but do not neglect this. Neglecting this would a slap on the face to those who believed in your project.

#19 Thirdrail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Private
  • Private
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostEnigmaNL, on 05 December 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

I'll just put this quote from the other topic here:
"Here's a new toy for everyone! Now you can repaint your favorite mechs! Except you, people who gave us money to help us eat and keep our lights on. Your favorite mechs don't get the toy. Not only that, but while you were away, we drew on your special mech with a poop coloured crayon!"

I was discussing all this with a bunch of people on comms last night, and one of them said, "I miss my white stripe. Why'd they make it gold?"
:)
Gold! The icky brown stripe is supposed to be gold! I'm like oooooooooh, now at least it makes some kind of sense! lol I would never have realized they were going for gold in a million years.

Edited by Thirdrail, 05 December 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#20 Sloddor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMannheim

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

BUMP!

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users