Lrm/ecm Question

5 replies to this topic

#1 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Have a Cat & and Assault that deals LRM's (among other mechs).

On my Cat boat I found that with ECM enabled targets my damage is a small fraction of what it was before patch. I mean. It felt like LRM boat support as a category is now obsolete. Nearly all targets evade damage.

I thought the range was limited?

Is it just me? Should I just take up crocheting?

Edited by Chillbill, 04 December 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#2 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Get teammates with ECM[Counter Mode]/TAG to help you spot targets. LRM boats are still viable, they just don't dominate entire matches anymore.

#3 Kelpaz

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationAzgariith

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostStingz, on 04 December 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

Get teammates with ECM[Counter Mode]/TAG to help you spot targets. LRM boats are still viable, they just don't dominate entire matches anymore.

Lol you make it sound easy, except almost no one uses LRM at all anymore because of ECM.
Most matches I played in now just use ECM to carry short range weapons to the enemy without having to deal with any LRM.
If an ECM carrying mech closes in on such a group it is totally demolished before even their LRM support would be able to fire at it's intended target.
If not it means that both teams have met, carrying ECM and it's a regular brawl, with the occasional lights running to cap.

#4 Tangelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

ECM creates a Bubble so to speak spanning 180 meters from the source. Unfortunately it does not mean that if you (the attacker) are outside that bubble that ECM has no effect.

It is a cover, meaning anything within that 180M bubble is under it's cloak despite how close or far you personaly are from the target.

ECM changed the game significantly, especially for LRM lovers. It does not mean that you can not run an LRM support boat however. Personally I still do, but it does mean that being an exclusive LRM boat can be more detrimental than anything to your team especially if you are a pugger.

Consider ECM in your builds. Mount some lasers so your not a sitting duck or useless.

A recommended build, feel free to consider or tinker as you choose, it is just a suggestion. Im sure others can give thier input as well. It works for me anyway.

Catapult C1
2 X LRM 15 + 4 tons of ammo
1 ER large laser
2 Med lasers

2 Jump jets
250 standard engine
16 DHS
333 armor points

Of course, admitedly it has its weaknesses and drawbacks etc.... But i find it a good balance as a LRM support.

#5 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

View PostKelpaz, on 15 December 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Lol you make it sound easy, except almost no one uses LRM at all anymore because of ECM.
Most matches I played in now just use ECM to carry short range weapons to the enemy without having to deal with any LRM.
If an ECM carrying mech closes in on such a group it is totally demolished before even their LRM support would be able to fire at it's intended target.
If not it means that both teams have met, carrying ECM and it's a regular brawl, with the occasional lights running to cap.

I have used my catapult and atlas DC lrm boat quite effectively sense ECM was implemented. I also have a centurion configured for long range combat with a large laser, and LRM combo. As the cent is made for supporting a brawling mech I bring my own tag. Not only am I guiding my missiles but teammates will target as well.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

Slap on a TAG, stay with your group around 400 meters away, chuck missiles. Fast engine recommended so you can position yourself easily and stay mobile while throwing LRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users