27 replies to this topic

#1 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Posted Image

Play in support of other mechs, try to dip in and out like a dragon.. always bum rush enemy flanks and CT and then get out of dodge, both arms are 30ish armor shields and expendable and should be used to increase survivability. the one thing that is a must though is close up shots with the SRM (50m or less) the closer the better or the shotgun effect of the SRM without artemis is lost, this shotgun effect also makes it more effective for light mechs and at close ranges will still hit the same area substantially, thanks to the fact that the SRMs are comming off the side torso. I also suggest you use MPLs more often on lights then SRMs and to be conservative with laser use on hot maps if barraging SRMs at the maximum pace possible.

It really comes down to how you play the mech, you can't be overly aggressive but you can definitely throw people off with that machine gun sound and suddenly huge DPS from rest of arsenal... Abuse the fact your quick and have similar armor factor of a 65 ton mech.

SRMs on chest make for easy aiming and lasers are set for maximum damage with the hard points of the CN9-A, heatsinks fully optimized and all critical slots used. perfection...

you could of course drop the engine to something smaller and possibly take a bigger gun instead of a machine gun or vice versa (XL260).

I Hope someone tries it out and <3 it as much as i do, easily my fave mech that i own and i have taken down mechs that people say medium mechs can't kill... I mean its just a centurion right and don't they suck! =D

Edited by Chameleon Silk, 05 December 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#2 Das Wudone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

on ur build, personally i would drop/replace a lot of stuff there to free around 6.5 tons and fit in a std engine 255. items would be: case (.5) + ams and ammo (1.5) + medpulses to medlas (2) + machine gun and ammo (1.5) + 2 dhs (2) + a bit of armor (particularly the head, arms and a tiny bit from the legs around .5 tons total worth)= 8 free tons. then i would either add 1 ton of srm ammo or reduce my armor costs by changing back to standard armor. result is a reasonably affordable per match zombie mech. then to manage the heat i would put all weapons to chain fire so my heatsinks can dissipate heat more effectively with alpha striking once in a while when i have a nice solid shot.

#3 Truesight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

By just swapping out Ferro for Endo you get approx. 1.5 tons free for the same slot usage and repairs are a lot cheaper, you can then safely take an XL 260 or do your thing torwards a standard engine.

#4 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

@ Das Wudone

why would you drop case that would be stupid considering how much ammo i am carrying, medium pulses to medium laser is another ? moment because MPLs are better and this mech has the heat efficiency to use it well... removing AMS is also stripping off some of its ability to support and help the team... to each their own but your configuration does not seem better by any regard in my book... with so many builds focusing on putting ammo in legs i might just have to start legging.

also show me how you could hit 59 firepower with a standard engine I'd love to see it because i don't think your going to get it that high because of the tonnage lost to the standard engine, this is not meant to be a zombie that can stay alive its meant to be a medium mech that supports the already existing battles, i shouldn't be directly out in front of everyone taking damage to begin with.

@Truesight

your comments make a lot more sense, by getting endo steel i could afford to put a XL 260 in it which would give 2 extra kmh and still keep the build exactly same... and would be the ultimate setup for my current loadout. The only reason i decided on a XL 255 is because it is max rating for my CTF-4X so i killed 2 birds with one stone.

every hard point is being utilized, armor is at maximum levels possible, it has the highest firepower I have seen for a medium mech thus far, its heat efficiency is great, its fast 82kmh, it has 2 arms that have to be chewed through to get to the side torso (i'm always circling not running straight at people and using that medium chassis the way it should be) its also not just these things that make it great its the fact that i have easily best matches i have ever had with this setup, far better then any CTF-4X i've used and better then my friends with catapults (even dual ac20 cats)

the only thing that seems to do more damage done is an LRM boat.

Edited by Chameleon Silk, 06 December 2012 - 03:26 AM.

#5 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

Wouldnt run with XL, my A sports 3 x srm4, 2 x mplas and is only 1kmh slower while lasting 3x as long.

Correct me if i am wrong but isnt the case in your RT pointless? If you get an ammo explosion you are dead anyways. Why not move the ammo to the legs at least?

Heres the streak version:

http://mwomercs.com/...9-a-killstreak/

Edited by Budor, 06 December 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#6 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

the case in right torso does seem to work really well to keep ammo from exploding or at least during play i have noticed a change in my survivability, and i definitely hear what you guys are saying about the standard engine, endo steel as well so thank you for pointing this stuff out.

but the main thing about those builds -- can you demonstrate at least equivalent firepower (59) using that setup cause part of the niceness of this build is the speed + the punch, if that can still be provided with the standard engine then it definitely sounds more appealing but if i have to sacrifice any punch at all for the standard im not so sure it'd be a good change.

the thing about running streaks on a non-ecm mech now is that they may actually be dead weight until you can get the ecm downed/countered... and even still i perfer SRM for slow moving targets due to the volume of damage done versus 1 shot of streak and thats an opinion that has been carried and is still pretty well the same as mech 2 mechanics.

regarding the CASE thing i really will have to look into that as well i am almost 100pct sure it is working fine how it is as this the way i been setting things up for awhile but if there is an issue with it then i definitely want it fixed.

Edited by Chameleon Silk, 06 December 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#7 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

Yeah streaks are harder now. I would strongly recommend to try srm4 instead of srm6 and un-XL it. Play some time with that and i am pretty sure you will never XL a non D centurion again.

This is a game of attrition and you are more help most of the time when you stick around longer.

If you want that punch with the speed you could set it up on Dragons or Cats which do not suffer as much from side torso coring.

In case of C.A.S.E. What it does atm is: If you have a ammo explosion in the area where its equipped it prevents any leftover dmg from that explosion to be transfered into the adjectent area. In your case any leftover dmg wouldnt be transfered to your center torso which would be nice if it was not XL but is pointless in your case because youre dead/cored anyways.

There has been rumors floating around the forums that case helps on XLd mechs in side torsos by not preventing death but keeping your repair costs lower on XLd mechs. There is a recent dev-post somewhere that debunks this myth but stating that they are thinking of ways to make case somewhat more usefull in that departement.

Edit: Bit off the hook but anyways: My 4sp runs 87.x with standard 250, 4x mlas, 2x srm6. No matter that my alpha is smaller i will core you 9/10 times in it because i can pinpoint the 4 mlas due to arm mounts, i have more torso twist which helps with mlas and srm, and i have 2x 6 "slot" launchers which launch the 2x6 missiles at once while the centurions do some combination of 10 than 8 or 10 than 2 (would need to verify how exactly). The game actually takes into account how many tubes you have on your mech model which is pretty awesome imho ^^

Edited by Budor, 06 December 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#8 Rogallaig

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

My variation on your build is similar and very effective. Its fast, well armored, and serves well as either a scout-killer or body guard for assaults/heavies. I often place in top 2-3 on my team in damage dealt.

STD 260 engine w/6(I think) extra double heatsinks, ES, 2ML's, 3 SSRMs (2 tons of ammo in legs), AMS (2 tons of ammo in legs). Armor is maxed, with both arms acting purely as shields.

#9 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

both budor and rogallaig's builds sound nice and can see all your points clearly, and i would love them if i could go srm6 with them.

is it possible that ammunition explosion do not cause any critical hits but rather just damage which would make it so that the part isn't actually destroyed since the engine still remains and then the next hit may critical hit as normal?

cause i swear it helps but maybe it just seems that way.

Edited by Chameleon Silk, 06 December 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#10 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

Found it, page 1, post nr. 19

http://mwomercs.com/...get-back-to-us/

"Some of you may notice that this doesn’t do anything for Mechs with XL engines, and yet many of the canon default loadouts include XL engines and CASE in the side torsos. We are currently considering some additional tweaks that would ensure that this is not a completely useless combination."

P.S. For the build you posted id put the machine gun ammo and case into the right arm together with the machine gun (to prevent dmg spread into RTorso when mg ammo gets hit, 1 ton of mg ammo explodes for a absurd amount of dmg in the TT...i hope it doesnt here but who knows) and the srm and ams ammo into the legs. I get cored more often than i get legged.

The way you have it even when you gradually deplete ammo through firing theres always a constant chance of getting cored through a crit.

P.S.S. I will try tripple srm x 6 and xl with relocated ammo nexttime i log into the game :rolleyes: most important thing is having fun in the end...

Edited by Budor, 06 December 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#11 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

yea thanks for the tips, i actually had the machine gun ammo like that at one point and it does sound like a good idea think i will do just that.

the reason i like the srm6 so much is cause 18 missiles in one volley can be devastating at 5 meters, along with MPLs and a constantly hitting noise maker :P

the main thing about the build is don't be a hero, help focus down guys that are busy with other guys and of course go for that precious rear armor on the CT and it works wonders.

#12 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

FYI too you can't put CASE on arms.

but after messing around a bit i would say 3 x SRM ammo, 1 x machine gun ammo in legs
remove the AMS and ammo, add an extra heatsink, upgrade to XL260, keep the FF armor and not bother with endo steel (why? because i dont need the extra tonnage endo steel gives to complete build)

ends up being perfect 50 tons, completely maxed armor, missile hard points with best they can have, laser with best you can get, and the machine gun for lols.

to me a machine with 59 firepower 1.28 heat and 338 armor going at 82.4kmh that is pretty damned good and i doubt you will see more of a spike damage machine then this at the medium weight.

also ran a build that had an ac2 and 1 ton of ammo, had to drop engine to a XL 210 to try it and its here that the bad side of having an XL rears its head although still at 68 kmh the machine is very much more sluggish and less nimble and the ac2 really adds 0 punch to the machine (actually drops FP to 57 despite weighing 3x as much as the machine gun setup)

Budor get back to me and tell me what you think of the SRM6's! :P

SRM4's are definetly acceptable 12 missiles still are good but why not get maximum 18 per volley especially if you can get heat level like my build... with the XL engines its vital you get up in their face and volley them dead before they can whittle away at your torso with their less spikey setups, done right you've already got them 70 pct and the centurions only taken a few laser blasts, anytime i can trade damage with a heavier mech and or neutralize more then one target in a mission i feel as though the build is working cause i'm doing more then my share of the heavy lifting.

anyways getting long winded with all these edits for more information. :P

Edited by Chameleon Silk, 06 December 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#13 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

added a video showing the final tweaked builds based on suggestions.

Edited by Chameleon Silk, 06 December 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#14 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMaine, United States

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Nice build. I personally use an LBX, 2 pulses, and 3 streak srms. Worked great vs lights, and meds. If you had a heavy or assault with you, it also made a great support mech vs the heavies. Worse case, you drew fire away from your teammate which allowed them to hit hard or harder than you.

stats:
64.8kph
50 tons
37 firepower
1.09 heat eff (with double sinks)
320armor

Right Arm:
LB 10-X

Right Torso:
Double Heat Sink
C.A.S.E.
LB 10-X ammo (x2)
Streak SRM Ammo (x2)

Center Torso:
Medium Pulse Laser(x2)
Standard Engine 200

Left Torso:
Double Heat Sink
Streak SRM 2 (X3)

Upgrades:
Double Heat Sink
Endo-Steel Internal Structure

Armor numbers:
Head: 12
Center Torso: 50
Center Torso Rear: 14
Right Torso: 36
Right Torso Rear: 12
Left Torso: 36
Left Torso Rear: 12
Right Arm: 32
Left Arm: 32
Right Leg: 42
Left Leg: 42

#15 Das Wudone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

its a personal preference chameleon. i dont need to use ams if i know how to manuever my mech through cover. i dont use case either since i put ammo on my legs and head. i know its a risk but most ppl dont aim for the legs or head (well on the centurion anyway they rarely aim for the head) plus the fact that ur harder to hit with that speed. i also forgot to mention u didnt get endo steel so that would give u 2.5 more tons.

about medpulse to medlas, medpulses are 2 times heavier but have better dps and shorter beam duration. i would definitely swap them out for medlas if i need the weight and i can also snipe at med range on some maps (like caustic since brawler builds like urs are gona need to snipe if the enemy is camping on the other side). however if i dont need the extra free weight then i would rather take the medpulses. its not exactly stupid mind u.

EDIT: oh and i really suggest u get a standard engine instead with all the free weight i added up for u on my previous post. getting endo steel will give u a lot more free weight too instead of ferro fibrous (and the fact that repairing ferro is insanely expensive).

Edited by Das Wudone, 06 December 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#16 Capriocorpus

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

Found a Build that has firepower of 57 but uses std engine

250 engine
DHS
ES
FF
Artemis
Heat EFF: 1.16

Right Arm:
Machine Gun

Right Torso:
Nothing

Right Leg:
Machine Gun Ammo
SRM Ammo

Head:
SRM Ammo

Center Torso
2 Med Lasers

Left Leg:
2 SRM Ammo

Left Torso:
3 SRMS
1 DHS

Left Arm:
Nothing

Armor:
Head 18
Right Arm: 32
Right Torso: 36F 12B
Center Torso: 50F 14B
Left Torso: 36F 12B
Left Arm: 32
Left and Right Leg: 31

Edited by Capriocorpus, 07 December 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#17 Lichschool

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

AC/5, 2ML, 3 SRM 6

Stock engine, 320 armor, 3 tons of srm ammo, 1 ton of AC ammo
Endo, can't remember the heat sinks.

60 Firepower.

Have brawled dragons, cataphracts, hunchies, other centurions, and an atlas and come out on top.

I only carry the 1 ton of AC ammo as the arm tends to get blown off during or after my first slug match. It does enough to be worth having the cannon even if only for that short time.

#18 Puppeteerxerxes

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'll have to support the non xl engine guys. I run Cents now after mastering Jenners. Had some fun with Yen-Lo but I don't really like ballistics. Now have an AL and an A. Both have 225 engines, with endo, go 72.9 kph. Both with 320 armor, and ams with 1 ton. Ammo is in the legs - when is the last time someone legged a cent right? The A is 2 ML and 3 SRM 6 and the AL is 2 MPL, 2 ML and 2 SRM6. 16 DHS on the AL or 15 on the A. AL alpha of 52, and A of 55.

The reason I support no XL - I just killed an atlas k, awesome 9m, and 2 cent D's (this is a really good match and not the norm) but I did it by firing 1 close range missile salvo - and once I saw weak R or L torso armor, pinpoint with lasers. The atlas I hit from side, and by salvo 2 was dead, he started but didn't finish a turn. The Cent D's dead in 1 salvo. That match I lost both arms, both side torsos and finished off a jenner by hitting his RT with 2 ML. Did 880 damage. 5 Kills, assisted on the rest. Repair bill with nothing but internal structure left < 50k Cbills.

I would only run XL on chassis that are CT heavy - Jenner, Raven, Dragon, Catapult, or sniping mech. Close range and XL is way too dangerous.

#19 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

I can bring up times that I run up and take an atlas head on with an XL centurion and win, in fact i can link videos with that occurring and have in the past already... if an XL engine centurion was not viable I would not be doing what I am doing consistently against many different opponents and matches.

Having said that and being a big XL engine user aside yes standard engines are always better for survivability, period.

@ Lichschool: heat dissipation is a bad stat to forget some can tolerate lower and some like a lot better dissipation.

@Capriocorpis: looks good tbh but would need 3 ton SRM, 2 ton is not enough if you don't rearm especially. heat could be better and you dropped medium lasers to mplas with only 1 DHS on the build... still decent build but not my style, note that i am getting 1.28 with my build and still cant go absolutely nuts with my mplas and SRMs.

@Regulus1990: nice that you get the shotgun autocannon but very dependant on that arm now, heat at 1.09 is gonna hold back the mplas bad especially on a hot map, might be better off to drop to mlas instead... and i hate streaks if its not SRM6's then its SRM4's for me.

whatever works best for you guys!

Edited by Chameleon Silk, 08 December 2012 - 02:37 AM.

#20 Capriocorpus

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

There is 4 tons of ammo 1 in the head, 1 in the right leg, and 2 in the left leg and heat hasnt been a prob for me but that might be because I have the Cent at Elite status.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users