#1 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

SO i have already got the Dragon to master, and now I own my 3rd Cataphract. I already have done about all the customization I want on the mechs I own which means I will start piling cbills for a new mech to play. I don't want to play an assault chasis because I can't stand moving <65kph. I also love autocannons which is why I am considering a Cicada. I'm a little worried moving that fast I won't be able to hit anything with an AC though. Anyone who is bored and wants to post ideas I would greatly appreciate.

#2 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm about to master my Catapults, and I figured next mech for me would be the Raven. Light, and has the ECM option. I figure it'll be a totally different play style compared to my usual heavy support.

The Raven only has one AC option, but I was planning on leaning towards the PPC Raven. The base engine heatsinks should cover most of a single PPC's heat, and then I don't have to worry about ammo.

Edited by Buckminster, 05 December 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#3 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

I know mediums are much maligned but I would recommend them anyhow. The hunchback is amazingly standard for this game but it is also a great mech. The variant with the AC/10 has great customize potenical and the one with two racks of missiles is one of the best mechs for its size. However, the Cicada has an awesome profile and speed, making it really hard to hit. Cant go wrong with at least one set of mediums I say.

#4 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

An Awesome 9M goes at 70kph I think and close to 80 with a 380-385 XL. That aside though, I'd recommend trying the ever-popular Hunchbacks starting with the 4SP, 4P, then 4H. It can easily go 79kph with a 245 engine without Speedtweak and have enough room for fun things when you slap on Endo and DHS.

I started out with my Atlas, then my Catapults. Waiting to buy an Ilya to round of my Phracts so I'm leveling my hunchies today. Bought the 4SP and having a blast then fooling around with the 4P. Already got my Founders HBK maxed in basic.

I'll probably work on getting the Phracts and Awesomes done after this. Still not quite feeling the Centurion Vibe and I don't like playing light mechs as they are now (lagshielded).

Edited by Elizander, 05 December 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#5 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

I have definately thought about the Hunchback. I want to say I am a little against using a mech so many other people use, but then again there a Cataohracts everywhere and that would actually make me a hypocrite.

#6 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Centurions might be a good choice.

I mastered it using the CN9-A, CN9-AL, and the CN9-D (Yen-Lo-Wang sucks)

The CN9-A is unique among mediums because it has 3 missile points in the chest, like an atlas. This means you can load it with LRMS if you want a fire support mech, or SRM's for direct fire. I normally only mount a gauss or nothing in the arm... the other autocannons don't really thrill me. This mech makes a GREAT zombie, if you load it with a standard engine and 3x srm6's, along with 2 medium pulse lasers. Your still deadly even if your just a center torso, legs, and a head.

The CN9-AL can do similar roles, but it has one less missile in the shoulder, and swaps the ballistic arm for a laser arm. Not bad. Give it a single ER PPC as its arm weapon, or maybe a large pulse, throw mediums in the chest, maybe a few streaks, and you have a good mix of long ranged and short ranged weapons.

The CN9-D is the odd duck... it has the capacity to run up to an XL390 engine in it if you want. I kitted mine out so much I can barely afford to run it. XL300 engine so it goes at like 107 KPH, a Gauss rifle for ranged punch, 2 medium lasers, and 2 streaks. Thats a LOT of firepower and speed on a medium, and it can kill pretty much anything near its weight... but because it has Ferro armor (mine does anyway), and XL engine, Endo Steel, and Double Heatsinks, it costs upwards of 120k if it dies to repair it. Very costly, but a lot of fun.

#7 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 05 December 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

I mastered it using the CN9-A, CN9-AL, and the CN9-D (Yen-Lo-Wang sucks)

I love fighting against Wang's because you take that arm off and they are essentially useless. I do like what you said about the CN9-D, just not sure if I will have that many cbills by the time I master the Cataphract though. (Especially since my 2x is siting on over 100k mech exp from farming)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users