13 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

I'm looking to pilot a Catapult with XL315 engine and speed tweak, which should push something like 80 kph, I have the A1, K2 and C1 variant. But I'm wondering if anyone has a good idea for a build that really makes use of the Catapult's speed.

At the moment, I'm looking at the K2 variant, because it doesn't have all its weapons in its arms. With the XL engine on a CPLT-A1, you don't want people to shoot at your arms, because that strips you of weapons, or your torso, because of the fragile XL engine. Seems like something of a glass cannon, which is tricky when you're just playing with PUGs.

Oh, and the only reason I want to have a really fast Catapult is because it looks cool. I always go with what looks cool, and then try to make it work afterwards. Which can be tricky.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated

PS: I realize that there's a lot of threads about this, but it's hard to find good ones, because a lot of them are outdated due to various patches changing the balance of the game.

#2 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

I used to run a K2 with twin ERPPC and twin ML, on an XL315 and 20 DHS. Heat was very much controllable, but later I switched to regular PPC and LOL if I chainfire those the heat is almost neutral on snowy maps.

#3 Bad Brad Keselowski

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationHalloran V, defending Transpax Corporation from taxing authorities

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

I'm almost finished with saving for my Atlas 7K, which is going to give me an XL 300.

Then I will try this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...951c3fd3db293f9

You run 74.8KPH (82.2KPH with Speed tweak) and you are quite deadly when you are able to strike, which - of course - will be limited by ECM. The TAG in your torso is also a bit uncool because it is not as mobile like in an arm. You are also useless <180m but the speed lets you probably adjust position to avoid this. And when one of those ridiculous Raven 3L or any similar light is around you and jams your locks with ECM you are a waste of 65 tons because even your TAG doesn't help you then.

But besides of that, especially when you're not taken serious, it's gonna be painful. When the battle is unleashed, use your speed an maneuverability to stay within 200-350m of the enemy and rain missiles. Shoot only without line of sight when you know what you do. And try to paint with your TAG those Atlas D-DC (use your thermal vision to check for shadows), usually in PUG games, they come with an "I've got ECM so I'm immune to missile"-attitude. Prove them wrong.

Just to clarify, I didn't try this yet. I still lack about 3m C-Bills. But I'm gonna do it, as soon as I'm able to.

#4 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I have a K2 with twin ERPPC, twin ML, a 300XL and 20 DHS. I think I get just over 82 kph with speed tweak.

Overall it's a fun build, but like Alistair said heat can be a nuisance. I still stick with ERPPCs though, because of the longer max range and lack of minimum range. It lets me run around as a fairly decent long range hit-and-run kind of guy, which suits my style just fine.

I've also used the same 300XL on a C1 build with two Artemis LRM15 and 4 MLs, but with the current implementation of ECM it tends to just collect dust.

I'd probably just use the 300XL instead of the 315XL. It's 2.5 tons for an additional 4 kph. Not much of a speed improvement for the extra weight.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for all your input, guys!

Right now, I've found a build that works pretty well and - more importantly - is a lot of fun to play.
CPLT-K2 with XL300 engine, 2 ER Large Lasers, 2 Large Lasers and 2 Machine guns. Double heat sinks.
The machine guns are completely pointless, but I like the way they sound. Maybe one day they will actually be worth their weight.

I'm still trying out new builds, but this is the one I'm currently using.

@ Buckminster & Helmstif: The PPC build could be cool to play, although I would probably be tempted to stick with normal PPCs. After all, doing 80 kph should allow me to stay out of minimum range. Maybe get some ML or MPLs to ward off light mechs. I have an Awesome mech with 3 ER PPCs and I can't even pretend to be dangerous against light mechs.

@ Bad Brad: That looks like a pretty cool build. Unfortunately, I don't have the C4 variant, but maybe I can do something similar with an A1 without the TAG. Like a heavier Trebuchet.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 09 January 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#6 Crimson Dux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationLisbon, PT

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Not only the speed but also the maneuverability! It can be a very good brawler. Here are some build with a xl300

A1
You have (had?) the classic Streak Cat (too risky with ECM) or a Shootgun cat with 6 SRM. I advise you the try a mix version with 4 SRM6+artemis and 2 SSRM. I do not have experience with the A1 but I have a C4 with 4 SRM6+artemis and MPL that is very efficient.
Don't worry about the arms of the A1: the more they shoot at them the less they shot at your torso.

C1
3LL + 2 SRM6 (for the punch).
3LL + 2 SSRM (for the kills)
If it run hotter than you would like, change the 3LL for 4ML.

K2
4LL. 2/3 alphas on a torso and its done. With your speed go for the rear torsos. You will not have the little "extra turning" from a JJ, when you brawl but JJ are not what they use to be anyway...

#7 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

This build seems like it would be right up your alley: http://www.mechspecs...full=1#post2036

#8 Bad Brad Keselowski

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 09 January 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

@ Bad Brad: That looks like a pretty cool build. Unfortunately, I don't have the C4 variant, but maybe I can do something similar with an A1 without the TAG. Like a heavier Trebuchet.

Just tested the build and it's not as I thought it's gonna be. I think, Artemis is a must. So 3 LRM 15+Artemis and something. Problem with Catapult is, that the rockets spread quite wide. Unlike Atlas D-DC (which I own too, they go by default much more concentrated. The best I was able to squeeze out was only like 600 dmg.

#9 jshill78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I have the C1, C4, and K2 variants. All of them run the XL315 and all of them are deadly.

2 Medium Lasers, 2 Large Lasers, and 2 SRM6+Artemis
2 Medium Lasers and 4 SRM6+Artemis
4 Large Lasers

#10 jshill78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostBad Brad Keselowski, on 09 January 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Just tested the build and it's not as I thought it's gonna be. I think, Artemis is a must. So 3 LRM 15+Artemis and something. Problem with Catapult is, that the rockets spread quite wide. Unlike Atlas D-DC (which I own too, they go by default much more concentrated. The best I was able to squeeze out was only like 600 dmg.

The issue is tube count. The more missiles you fire at once, the larger the spread because they are all in the air at the same time. The C4 has 20 tubes per arm, the C1 and A1 have 15 tubes per arm. If you want to concentrate the spread you have to reduce your tube count which you can't do on a Catapult unless you chain fire. You are forced to fire 30 - 40 missiles at a time.

A perfect example of the inverse is the CTF-2X. On the left arm it can hold 2 Missile Hardpoints but it only has 4 tubes. If you put 2 SRM6+Artemis on that arm and fire it, you're going to get 3 bursts of 4 missiles each. This means a very concentrated spread but a longer tracking time on the target.

Edited by jshill78, 09 January 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#11 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

View Postjshill78, on 09 January 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

The issue is tube count. The more missiles you fire at once, the larger the spread because they are all in the air at the same time. The C4 has 20 tubes per arm, the C1 and A1 have 15 tubes per arm. If you want to concentrate the spread you have to reduce your tube count which you can't do on a Catapult unless you chain fire. You are forced to fire 30 - 40 missiles at a time.

A perfect example of the inverse is the CTF-2X. On the left arm it can hold 2 Missile Hardpoints but it only has 4 tubes. If you put 2 SRM6+Artemis on that arm and fire it, you're going to get 3 bursts of 4 missiles each. This means a very concentrated spread but a longer tracking time on the target.

Also smaller groups means AMS has more time to shoot down LRMs. It's the reason why nobody takes a single LRM-5 seriously, 1 AMS guns it down.

Edited by Stingz, 09 January 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#12 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Try this build with the K2

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4470124854afd59

86.4km/h with speed tweak, you can use the gauss to snipe until the brawl starts then run in and circle around med pulsing and gaussing to your hearts content. Very fun.

#13 Bad Brad Keselowski

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

When you have an A1, you can use it as a brawler, for example like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a6982d4b1af0798 (exchange DHS for ammo when you need more)

I striped the JJs from this build because they suck since they got nerfed. You are just hovering like a derp saying "hey look here, shoot me!"

Problem is, the upgrades are very expensive: Double Heatsinks (you would run very hot without;1,5m) and Artemis (you badly need this to concentrate your shots; 0.75m) is nearly half a new cat chassis.

You need to be patient, you are not the spike of the lance. Wait until the brawl has started, and then use your speed (86,4KPH with speed tweak) to sneak behind the heavies, and then shredder them apart.

But mind to bind the missile door key, so you open your missile bay doors manually before you fire to prevent firing delay.

I pugged some games with an XL cat and it's not like it dies of the first shot, it can take some damage. As long as you keep moving and don't expose yourself it is quite good.

Edited by Bad Brad Keselowski, 09 January 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#14 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

My brawl A1 uses 3 SRM6 plus Artemis in one arm, and 3 Streaks in the other. The 3 SRM6 provide nice punch against heavier mechs, and the triple streaks are great against lights and for kill steals.

I bunch the weapons in each arm to provide a tighter grouping - splitting the SRM6 among both arms would spread out the missiles way too much.

And I like keeping the jump jets. They are derped a bit, but still provide a decent ability to cross some of the deeper ravines on some of the maps.

Edited by Buckminster, 09 January 2013 - 06:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users