2 Atlas 7-D Dc Builds. Suggestions Please. Gaus Rifle Or 2X Ultra Ac5 For Ballistics? Are Er Large Lasers Viable?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Palutena

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I was talking with a couple friends and they were suggesting x Ultra AC 5 is better then a Gaus rifle especially now that the Gaus rifle explodes. That lead to the following builds.

Also are ER large lasers viable. I like having range but I think they might be too hot. PPCs are hot enough already. Could swap ER large lasers for regular large lasers if the heat is an issue but that loses range. Maybe should make more weight for PPCs? I had an easier time using large lasers on my founder's Catapult in closed beta then I did with PPCs but both ran pretty hot that was with single sinks.

Build 1
ER Large Laser right arm
Medium Pulse Laser left arm
2 Ultra AC5 (6 tons ammo)
3 Streak SRM 2s. (3 tons ammo)
ECM
AMS (1 ton ammo)
Standard 300 engine
16 Double heatsinks

Build 2
2 ER Large Laser (arms)
Gaus Rifle (4 tons ammo) w CASE
3 streak SRM 2s (3 tons ammo)
ECM
AMS (1 ton ammo)
Standard 300 engine
18 double heat sinks

er large laser(s) and ultra ac5/gaus for range. 3 streak srm 2's for killing annoying lights.

Also if you have a build you feel is good please feel free to share. Please no XL engine builds though refuse to use one of those on an assault mech because of the decrease in survivability. I want to decide on a build to try before spending c-bills. Thank you.

#2 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Built 2 for me but whit normal lla the er uses to much energy for my taste

#3 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

First. You put in EMC. Good move.

Second, AC/5s. I've mostly used AC/5s and UAC/5s on my Atlas for the last few months. I prefer their rate of fire, extra ammo, non-boom nature, and ruggedness. Even before the gauss-gimping, having 2 weapons in that location meant they had to crit them both. I started with Ultras and loved them. Then they implimented jamming (not complaining, mind you!) and I felt they jammed to often for my tastes and moved to standard AC/5s. Now, I'm debating again. Still feeling it out. The Ultras burn through a LOT of ammo and they come with less per ton. So, watch that!

Go large lasers. You will rarely really need the extra range beyond 450 meters. Even then, the Large can push out further (900m) with reduced damage. But honestly look at your play style and what is actually happening in your matches. If you are like the vast majority, you end up in fights under 400 meters for 90% of the time. Even playing Whack-A-Mole over the crater lip on Caustic puts you inside effective range for Large Lasers. Same with most fighting on the Forest Maps unless you are wanting to wade out into the deep river area or climb up really high. City fighting on River City and Frozen?

All ERs give you right now is extra heat. Large Lasers are bad enough, but effective if you can rotate them with ACs and can make your shots count. If you are not a good shot (And be honest here!) and need to fire a lot, go with medium lasers and just push in closer with some serious SRMs in your left torso. I use those large lasers because I can regularly hit and damage fast movers at ranges past 200 meters with them. They are my light deterent.

You will also have ECM. This is changing my tactical thinking on the Atlas. The ECM umbrella makes a gauss sniper Atlas a lot more appealing. Especially if you have friends around you throwing long range sniper fire with you. But, the ECM vs ECM fights will boil down to a brawl eventually in most rounds. There, those AC/5s, large lasers and SRMs can hurt.

#4 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Depends on how you play to realy but good writeup kommisar

#5 Mazgazine1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've been running 1 AC 20, 3 S-Srm 2s, and 2 large lasers .. its actually been a pretty fun build. (with ECM of course). Blow off the armor with ac20s cut them up with lasers, and lights get a hail of missles.

#6 MasterofBlasters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 477 posts
  • LocationYou'd like to know that wouldn't you?

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

How do you put 2 Ultra AC5s on an Atlas?

#7 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Check out my build for the DC in my guide. It's very powerful brawler build.

http://mwomercs.com/...n-atlas-builds/

Edited by MadPanda, 05 December 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

ER Large Lasers are viable if you are using 2 of them for long-range sniping. They won't run too hot with DHS if they are the only weapons you fire. No guarantee if you include LRMs there, but Gauss shouldn't be an issue.

I use 2 ER Large Lasers on my Hunchback and I have no issues harassing missile boats at long range. Same with my D-DC. The extra 100 meters of full damage is sometimes helpful and lower damage reduction at more extreme ranges is also good. They are still more reliable than PPCs since most long-range opponents tend to stand still.

#9 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

I will agree with Elizander that you can control the ER Large Laser's heat build up in a sniper role. My problem is that I rarely remain in a sniper role for a whole round. Especially in an Atlas. At some point, you wind up in the thick of it and that is where the ER heat starts to be a killer. When you have 2 fast movers running around you, picking you apart. Or you're fighting off 2 Assaults on the line and you need those weapons to fire and fire and fire and fire some more. The ERs just build up to fast in those moments for me.

#10 Palutena

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Thank you for your feedback. Tried both of those builds and current build is actually
2 large laser (arms)
2 Ultra AC5 (4 tons ammo)
3 Streak SRM 2s. (2 tons ammo)
ECM
Standard 300 engine
17 Double heatsinks

Gaus was nice for sniping but close up it shot kinda slow. This build lets me snipe and still deal really good damage close up. Although Ultra ACs jam a bit too often they do really good dps close up if they don't jam. Only complaints are I can't twist between alpha strikes to spread damage if using Ultra ACs. and it does run kinda hot with large lasers and ultra acs. I ended up droping the AMS as I didn't get missle that much by LRMs with ECM. Might put it back on if missles are more popular.

Waiting for command console implementation to call Airstrikes and arty that will be fun.

#11 LilPieces

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

You want big slow shooting weapons on an Atlas if you want to brawl. If you mix slow and fast weapons you end up staring at your target constantly firing your fast weapons while waiting for your slow weapons to cycle and your CT gets cored fast. If you have all slow weapons you can time your alpha strikes between torso twists maximing your damage on the targets CT while the targets damage against you tends to get spread all over the place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users