The FWL is?

73 replies to this topic

Poll: The FWL is..... (198 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best real life analogue to the FWL?

1. The U.S.A. (49 votes [24.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.75%

2. The E.U. (60 votes [30.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

3. Spain (2 votes [1.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.01%

4. Canada (24 votes [12.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.12%

5. Modern India (2 votes [1.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.01%

6. Ancient Rome (26 votes [13.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.13%

7. Other (35 votes [17.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

View Postrilianv, on 07 June 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

The free worlds league is really made up of a handful of large states with parliamentary style government that elects its leaders. After the marik civil war, they turned into a martial parliament and a false thomas marik became the permanent leader up until the beginning of the jihad.

I guess the FWL would be a combination of American states and British government

The False who? the Jihad what? come with me my friend, someone at SAFE would like to have a word with you, are all your affairs in order?

#42 rilianv

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Safe will have to go thru the rabid foxes if they want me.

#43 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

the way they bumble about they could probably pull it off inspite of themselves

#44 rilianv

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

are you referring to SAFE or the Rabid Foxes

#45 Ozric

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

The FWL has always been hard to pin down to a real world reference. For me, the British Commonwealth (post Empire) is probably the closest match. Though this future commonwealth was itself just a part of what would later became the FWL, perhaps the most dominant culturally, but you have to look at the other founding nations to really fill in the gaps.

#46 ThePaLaDiN101

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

I always thought of Marik as a mash up of all ethnicities.

#47 rilianv

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

i dont think even the free worlds league could identify with what current country they are most like

#48 Stovebolt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCotton Candy Skull Island, TX

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Gilded Age America, before the growth of federal power starting with Wilson.
Later Holy Roman Empire/Germany before unification.
Italy from unification to the end of WWII.
Any 19th century liberal confederation.

#49 CaptFrost

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAS7-D Custom Luxury Cockpit

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:30 AM

View PostSeabear, on 06 June 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

The FWL is very close to the USA in the preCivil War era. - minus the slavery issue. Many of the same issuses that played out then are present in the current FWL, especialyy the issue of state/province v the central government even down to the issues of secession.

This is what I always thought as well.

Canada doesn't work for a myriad of reasons. National government is much too powerful, military is much too weak. Modern US doesn't work, the centralized government isn't as powerful vs. the states as Canada, but it's still much moreso than the FWL. EU definitely doesn't work. It seems to on the surface, but get below that and the FWL would self-destruct in no-time with their system. Ancient Greece doesn't work. The early Roman Republic, when they had the Etruscans, Samnites, and Carthaginians to worry about and had the existence of influential Patrician families running the military works reasonably well, but again you have the issue of sheer centralized power. But one really fits above all else...

Granted I'm no FWL expert, but from what I've read, the FWL feels like what America would've likely been if the Confederates had won the Civil War, sans slavery. Doubly so if Robert E. Lee's family had ended up running the military and having a huge voice in politics for generations, playing the Mariks in the CSA.

Edited by CaptFrost, 20 June 2012 - 02:37 AM.

#50 MMax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

It's like the EU!

Many different cultures, languages and a federal structure. A lot of fighting between the ranks but indeed a democracy.

#51 lllWAVElll

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think it's more similar to the United Nations. :D

"The government of the Free Worlds League is often misinterpreted as a representative democracy by superficial observation. In fact, the members of the parliament are representatives of the individual planets. The individual members of the parliament are determined by planetary governments, however. Consequently, the Free Worlds League's parliament may include elected representatives and representatives appointed by planetary dictators as well. This results in a mixture of regional and federal authorities. The individuals within the overlapping layers of bureaucracy continually vie for prominence.

At the federal level, a struggle for power between the legislative (Parliament) and executive (the Captain-General) existed almost as soon as the nation was formed. The relative dominance of either side waxed and waned over the centuries, though, in general, the Captain-General accrued more and more authority." (http://www.sarna.net...e_Worlds_League)

Edited by lllWAVElll, 20 June 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#52 Jackalhit

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostCaptFrost, on 20 June 2012 - 02:30 AM, said:

Granted I'm no FWL expert, but from what I've read, the FWL feels like what America would've likely been if the Confederates had won the Civil War, sans slavery. Doubly so if Robert E. Lee's family had ended up running the military and having a huge voice in politics for generations, playing the Mariks in the CSA.

I don't know much about the FWL, but like you, from what I've read, I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

#53 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Yes, I want to say that it's the USA with slightly different politics, but I think you could say that about a few other countries as well. For now I like not labeling the FWL and just saying it's unique.

#54 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

FWL is...
Fighting itself.
Give it two or three decades and it will have torn itself apart.

#55 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

I think the original writers did a fairly decent job of not making any of the major Successor States too similar to real world countries or cultures, with maybe the exception of Kurita.

I don't think there is a good comparison, really.

#56 Adel Belmont

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

So it basickly mean that the FWL would be if each countries of Earth had their own planets each with their own social, political, economics and military stuctures, Having allies say Canada & the USA and enemies Planet 1 vs Planet 2 or something while part of a bigger whole aka FWL with it's own parliament and rules and a central figure to "lead" everything.....

FWL sound pretty much like Earth to me :)

#57 Sealawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationBuckminster City, Buckminster Prefecture

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

The canon history states Duchy of the Oriente being primarily North American, European Spanish and Italian. The Principality of Regulus being Indian with a dominant Hindu culture. And the last part the Marik Commonwealth being Central European. So a really big mish mash of all the world cultures not covered by the other houses.

#58 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:11 AM

Howdy,

The FWL is?

A cream filled Ho Hos cake! :)

Long live the power of the Ho HOS cakes!

Hm, been close to 30 years since I had one of them, but I could not resist using their name.

#59 Xytaglyph

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostMike Silva, on 13 May 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

Marik's military is too powerful to be Canada.

LOLOLOL
so true

#60 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 13 May 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

I thought House Marik, Davion, and FRR had "bits&pieces" of American & Canadian influence?

Honestly, all the houses have bits and pieces of American and Canadian influence for 2 simple reasons.

1: The writers were mostly (all?) American, and so they applied their own perceptual filters to the creation of each state. (ie the Combine isn't what Space Japanese would be, but what an American thinks Space Japanese would be.)

2: The Americans were one of the first to go to space and begin colonization. Most of the worlds with heavy "American" culture lay within the borders of the Terran Hegemony. When the TH was destroyed, it's worlds were taken by the houses, bringing bits of their culture with them.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users