138 replies to this topic

#81 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostJim Elliot, on 06 December 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

lol why is ai ds censored?

'Cuz PGI would rather sit around building a robust censorship database than stabilizing, optimizing & delivering MWO content to make it a game worth playing. It's actually more fun to read the forums than to play MWO. I get a kick out've all the $h|t they censor. It's worse than the censorship I'd expect on a Christ freak site. What a fu<kin' joint this is eh?

#82 Zakie Chan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Good post, there are many things that need to get fixed properly instead of endless bandaids.

I would like for Ecm to get rebalanced, but for now it provides a needed rest from the streak shenanigans.

#83 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

View PostZakie Chan, on 07 December 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Good post, there are many things that need to get fixed properly instead of endless bandaids.

I would like for Ecm to get rebalanced, but for now it provides a needed rest from the streak shenanigans.

Thanks for supporting the topic. I think in many cases people (not just in MWO, not just in games, but in the world in general) focus on fixing the symptoms of problems, rather than digging to fix the root cause.

In the case of MWO, we know that future tech will be coming down the road (C3, Angel ECM, Stealth Armor, possibly semi-guided LRMs or other special munitions). Once you make significant changes to the base mechanic without properly fixing them, each successive layer you add on top has to be changed even more to fit into another layer on top of the house of cards. We've already seen a planned change to TAG in light of the excessive effects of ECM, which in turn were deemed acceptable because of the excessive power/ease of streaks and LRMs.

Edited by Kobold, 08 December 2012 - 01:05 AM.

#84 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Shameless Saturday bump.

(Only one today, I promise. I have to head out for most of the evening soon anyways :D)

#85 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Sorry Kobold, while a well written post some of your premises/statements are actually quite faulty and don't stand up to actual in game experience.

For example, I get the impression from what I've read that you believe that LRM's can't be fired without a lock. Untrue. You can fire an LRM with a lock (known as 'dumb firing') and the LRMS will hit and explode (if the range is over 180 meters) on the target.

Second, you seem to have the impression that it's difficult to dodge missles. Actually the ONLY time it's hard/impossible to dodge missles is when you're in open territory with no cover near by, but of course, from what I understood from what you wrote, you don't believe that it's fair or right that anyone dumb enough to try and cross open field in plain view of an LRM boat should take as much damage as they currently do.

I completely agree with you that this game should require skill, both from the target and the hunter.

As it stands now if you attempt to get a lock on an enemy covered by ECM, you will have extreme difficulty. However, if your team skillfully removes the ECM, or a team member enables COUNTER and gets close enough to the enemy ECM source, you may be able to get your lock to fire. But of course once fired, if lock is lost on LRMs, chances are they're not going to hit at all. This has resulted in rise of skilled spotters, and skilled LRM boat pilots being very selective in their shots, not firing until they're sure they've got a lock they can maintain.

Yes, your description of not having to maintain the targeting reticule over the targeted enemy 100% of the time to maintain the lock is true, but it's not an infinite amount of time you can do that. Maybe a second or two at most, IF, the target is within FOV, a lot less if the target moves out of your FOV. Once the lock is lost, it requires the full targeting duration to get it back, and keep in mind, the entire targeting square is NOT available for use with the targeting reticule when attempting to get a lock. Should you move your targeting reticule too close to the edge, all lock progress is lost and you have move the reticule, and keep the reticule close to the center of the targeting box.

Not easy at closer ranges, specifically against very close light 'mechs moving at +90kph especially with netcode issues and all the like, it can be pretty difficult. Even worse is the inability to bend forward far enough to target light 'mechs who 'leg hump', making it absolutely impossible to target.

No as it is now, LRMs, with the current functionality of ECM is in my mind VERY balanced. Very rarely will I score ANY kills in a match, UNLESS, the other team does something stupid like, not bring ECM and run out into the open field, and stay there while I'm raining death upon them.

For SSRMs the lock time is way too long in my mind. We're talking about a target less than 300km away, it shouldn't require the same amount of lock timing required for LRMs and firing at a target say +900km, but it does and that's part of the 'balance' I guess of SSRMs.

No, nothing as extreme as you're wanting needs to be done with missles.

To be utilized to full effect requires at least 2 skilled players. I can't think of any other weapon in the game that requires TWO pilots to be utilized at full effect. So the complaint about them not being a 'skilled' weapon really falls flat.

Sure, sure, while I haven't read every post here, I'm sure we have the nitwit idiots claiming that they ALWAYS get 5 kills and 1000+ points of damage EVERY game with their missles. I call BS on them. I've not seen any video where the opposing team, using common sense tactics was EVER decimated by a single boat pilot like that, ever.

Yes, absolutely, it's VERY possible for a single missle pilot to get that kind of skill, but the opposing team more or less has to cooperate with him with his every shot and stay in the open and not find cover, not use ECM, not equip AMS, and not attack in any way the boat pilot. And if the opposing team is cooperating with your efforts to kill them... Well then, they deserve to die a quick death, and it's no fault of the boat pilot his high score or high number of kills.

#86 ollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm all for skill based weapons, but honestly, i think much much more LRMs are fired into walls, mountains, water or the sky right now then on mechs. I also like that the skill is distributed between attacker and target, one has to use skill to choose the right target and the right time to fire, the other has to use skill to either avoid the threat or the damage.

For SSRMs, the problem with longer lockon-time will be that the little buggers can run circles around you withouth ever having to fear a lockon, kind of like no-weight ECM, while it doesn't do much to the current situation with streakcats wrecking the big guys.

Edit: props to the poster above me, he's taken the time to flesh out my thoughts as i just recognized :D

Edited by ollo, 08 December 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#87 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Dimento Graven:

I'd say that personally I don't feel that LRMs are significantly far from where I'd like them to be, balance-wise. The biggest change I'd like to see is to allow them to be fired without a lock on in a meaningful way. My problem with the current functionality is that they are basically junk dumb-fired except at very, very slow, or immobile targets, or at merely kinda slow targets at short range. Ultimately if they were better weapons when being fired at a target that has not been selected, they would function better when the target is shrouded by ECM. This way the ECM could keep the cool "you can't target me, you don't know my health/weapons!" effect, without significantly neutering LRMs. Your argument about dumb-firing LRMs in their current is comparable to saying "PPCs still work at 1m away!" While technically true, in practice it is horribly ineffective.

Ultimately LRMs wouldn't be affected significantly by my proposed changes, I don't think. Guys standing in the open would still get hammered, and guys going for cover would still make it there. The main LRM change recommended was actually an IMPROVEMENT (allowing them to lock and home on enemies that are not targeted). It is really streaks that are the main problem here.

If we can fix the underlying issues, then we wouldn't need the ECM band-aid of "LOL U CANT TARGET ANYTHING NAO!" when a Raven gets up in your business.

#88 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostKobold, on 08 December 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

Dimento Graven:

I'd say that personally I don't feel that LRMs are significantly far from where I'd like them to be, balance-wise. The biggest change I'd like to see is to allow them to be fired without a lock on in a meaningful way. My problem with the current functionality is that they are basically junk dumb-fired except at very, very slow, or immobile targets, or at merely kinda slow targets at short range. Ultimately if they were better weapons when being fired at a target that has not been selected, they would function better when the target is shrouded by ECM. This way the ECM could keep the cool "you can't target me, you don't know my health/weapons!" effect, without significantly neutering LRMs. Your argument about dumb-firing LRMs in their current is comparable to saying "PPCs still work at 1m away!" While technically true, in practice it is horribly ineffective.

Ultimately LRMs wouldn't be affected significantly by my proposed changes, I don't think. Guys standing in the open would still get hammered, and guys going for cover would still make it there. The main LRM change recommended was actually an IMPROVEMENT (allowing them to lock and home on enemies that are not targeted). It is really streaks that are the main problem here.

If we can fix the underlying issues, then we wouldn't need the ECM band-aid of "LOL U CANT TARGET ANYTHING NAO!" when a Raven gets up in your business.

The problem with your firing without lock and homing in on target is, as I recall, very similar to how LRMs worked early on in the game, which apparently a very vocal minority thought was extremely over powered. I doubt will go back to that.

If I understood your OP correctly, your main point was to 'improve' missles by, over all, LENGTHENING the lock process, but allowing a guided 'dumb fire' methodology. I don't see how that could be an improvement, especially with all the in place mitigating factors for missle damage already in this game.

As far as streaks are concerned though, I honestly am not quite sure what to think at this point. What I have noticed is that the "weapon of choice" for ECM carriers has become streaks. After all, if someone is jamming you, you just switch to counter and you can get your lock and unload. That's an annoying and very ironic twist...

#89 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 December 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

Sorry Kobold, while a well written post some of your premises/statements are actually quite faulty and don't stand up to actual in game experience.

For example, I get the impression from what I've read that you believe that LRM's can't be fired without a lock. Untrue. You can fire an LRM with a lock (known as 'dumb firing') and the LRMS will hit and explode (if the range is over 180 meters) on the target.

Well, wait a minute, though; LRMs are so slow that an Atlas can dodge them at any range over 180m, which leads us to...

Second, you seem to have the impression that it's difficult to dodge missles. Actually the ONLY time it's hard/impossible to dodge missles is when you're in open territory with no cover near by, but of course, from what I understood from what you wrote, you don't believe that it's fair or right that anyone dumb enough to try and cross open field in plain view of an LRM boat should take as much damage as they currently do.

Exactly; half the people complaining about streakcats never loaded one up and played it to find out what its weaknesses are. I try to play all different kinds of mechs and loadouts, if for no other reason than so I know how to counter them.

Yes, your description of not having to maintain the targeting reticule over the targeted enemy 100% of the time to maintain the lock is true, but it's not an infinite amount of time you can do that. Maybe a second or two at most, IF, the target is within FOV, a lot less if the target moves out of your FOV. Once the lock is lost, it requires the full targeting duration to get it back, and keep in mind, the entire targeting square is NOT available for use with the targeting reticule when attempting to get a lock. Should you move your targeting reticule too close to the edge, all lock progress is lost and you have move the reticule, and keep the reticule close to the center of the targeting box.

Thanks for the backup :D

I never said that getting a lock was the hardest thing in the world, but compared to just timing your press of a button to a reticule passing over a certain spot.... isn't that about as basic as "aiming" gets?

Not easy at closer ranges, specifically against very close light 'mechs moving at +90kph especially with netcode issues and all the like, it can be pretty difficult. Even worse is the inability to bend forward far enough to target light 'mechs who 'leg hump', making it absolutely impossible to target.

I've been trying to completely skip issues that we know will be fixed; once collisions are back in, leghumping will stop. Well, not stop, but it will get a bad case of premature *********** :D

No as it is now, LRMs, with the current functionality of ECM is in my mind VERY balanced. Very rarely will I score ANY kills in a match, UNLESS, the other team does something stupid like, not bring ECM and run out into the open field, and stay there while I'm raining death upon them.

My problem is that it has seriously detracted from the ability of an LRM-boat to prevent enemy mechs from getting into range, in particular the kind of fast mechs that they already have problems with.

Sure, sure, while I haven't read every post here, I'm sure we have the nitwit idiots claiming that they ALWAYS get 5 kills and 1000+ points of damage EVERY game with their missles. I call BS on them. I've not seen any video where the opposing team, using common sense tactics was EVER decimated by a single boat pilot like that, ever.

I have no idea where that idea came from Jenner pilots who can't figure out to stay away from the big scary Cat just make this stuff up to try to metagame their way into being able to kill anything. I think that heavy mechs specifically designed to kill lights should be very good at it.

Yes, absolutely, it's VERY possible for a single missle pilot to get that kind of skill, but the opposing team more or less has to cooperate with him with his every shot and stay in the open and not find cover, not use ECM, not equip AMS, and not attack in any way the boat pilot. And if the opposing team is cooperating with your efforts to kill them... Well then, they deserve to die a quick death, and it's no fault of the boat pilot his high score or high number of kills.

Even before ECM, that sort of game was the exception, not the rule. Yes, if everything goes according to plan, you wind up with a great score. Other times, you find yourself alone against a wolfpack, and they eat you alive. The same is true of my guncat. My gaussphract is different only because when I get 5 or 6 kills, it's usually only 200-300 damage, and I'm more likely to lose the match, anyway :D

As an idea, I like ECM, and more electronic warfare, in general, but this implementation was just insanely out of proportion. I hope that they are just having fun with us and will replace it with a moderated version.

#90 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostCodejack, on 08 December 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Well, wait a minute, though; LRMs are so slow that an Atlas can dodge them at any range over 180m, which leads us to...
I've NEVER seen an Atlas, or any 'mech not capable of moving over 90+kph able to successfully dodge LRMs in any range under 300meters. If there's cover it's possible they'll get a partial block at best. I think you may be misstating this.

Exactly; half the people complaining about streakcats never loaded one up and played it to find out what its weaknesses are. I try to play all different kinds of mechs and loadouts, if for no other reason than so I know how to counter them.
What I'm finding in the few discussions I've been able to have in game is that most of the people affected and claiming OP are people who can only afford to pilot trial 'mechs, at worse, or only have access to founders' mechs, at best.

Most other people are like us... They don't like some aspects of it, but over all, it seems to be ok...

Thanks for the backup :D

I never said that getting a lock was the hardest thing in the world, but compared to just timing your press of a button to a reticule passing over a certain spot.... isn't that about as basic as "aiming" gets?
Now wait a minute, are you describing people taking aimed shots? Firing missles is NOT an 'aimed' shot. Missle locks make you subject to the whole locking process, be it you acting as your own spotter or utilizing a team mate's ability to act as spotter for you. Yeah, the locking process may not require the same skill as lining up a gauss shot on a enemy's head, but of course, as soon as the gauss is ready to fire, you can fire it, no lock required, the 1000m (or whatever it is) max range indicator only being a suggestion. While the LRM/SSRMs must suffer lock AND reload time, AND LRMs require that lock be maintained the entire flight for the best chance at getting the maximum possible damage (minus environment impacts of buildings, trees, mountains, other dead 'mechs, etc., minus all the various enemy AMS between you and the target, and minus any movement the enemy may have gone though). So a 'skilled' shot of a gauss or PPC ALWAYS garuntees you MAXIMUM damage when it hits the target. Not so with LRMs, and streaks are subject to all the afore mentioned issues in this thread making it no garunteed killer.

Most people don't realize that when the boat pilot excercises patience and picks their shots carefully is when they are the most deadly. They aren't just firing willy nilly and killing everyone on the map, they are actually thinking and acting in a controlled concise manner much like the guass/PPC sniper. It's just a different set of circumstances.

I've been trying to completely skip issues that we know will be fixed; once collisions are back in, leghumping will stop. Well, not stop, but it will get a bad case of premature *********** :D
No, that's disingenuous of you. We really have no idea when, or even IF they're ever going to put collisions back in, and it's such a massive problem right now, in my opinion it breaks the game worse than the 'high arching' missles did back in the early artemis days.

My problem is that it has seriously detracted from the ability of an LRM-boat to prevent enemy mechs from getting into range, in particular the kind of fast mechs that they already have problems with.
Yeah that's true, so there'll no longer be as many 100% LRM boats, or 100% streak boats out there. I don't think that's a bad thing as it will add more variety and require all of us to have a more diverse set of tactics for dealing with battle to battle situations.

I have no idea where that idea came from Jenner pilots who can't figure out to stay away from the big scary Cat just make this stuff up to try to metagame their way into being able to kill anything. I think that heavy mechs specifically designed to kill lights should be very good at it.
Agreed.

Even before ECM, that sort of game was the exception, not the rule. Yes, if everything goes according to plan, you wind up with a great score. Other times, you find yourself alone against a wolfpack, and they eat you alive. The same is true of my guncat. My gaussphract is different only because when I get 5 or 6 kills, it's usually only 200-300 damage, and I'm more likely to lose the match, anyway :D
Yes, that's my point. If we go back and review the posts we'll probably find at least one, if not as many as 5 different posts of people claiming to be boat pilots who state they always get uber kill shots and damage every match and never ever lose because LRMs and/or streaks make it so easy to bend the opponent over and **** them. Yadda, yadda... Yet when you ask for them to provide a video, if they actually are able to find one, you see the opposing team has no active ECM, AMS, and are charging through open field... OR, you find a team of 8 LRM/streak carriers coordinating targeting on one 'mech at a time and again the opposing team panics and doesn't utilize effective counter tactics and dies. When you have 8 'mechs launching 8 to 16 flights of LRM 15's, yeah, whatever is targeted that hasn't found cover IS going to die, LRM damage numbers may be small, but they do add up.

As an idea, I like ECM, and more electronic warfare, in general, but this implementation was just insanely out of proportion. I hope that they are just having fun with us and will replace it with a moderated version.
I don't have that much of a problem with ECM. I'm still at the early stages of the learning curve with it. Figuring out what works best. Things like having your own ECM 'mech turn on COUNTER at the appropriate time, or having everyone focus fire on the enemy ECM carrier seems to have a better chance of success so far. Of course all these require cooperation, coordination, patience, and skill. You might find one or two of these in your typical PUG match, but very rarely do you ever find all four.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 08 December 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#91 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 December 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

I don't have that much of a problem with ECM. I'm still at the early stages of the learning curve with it. Figuring out what works best. Things like having your own ECM 'mech turn on COUNTER at the appropriate time, or having everyone focus fire on the enemy ECM carrier seems to have a better chance of success so far. Of course all these require cooperation, coordination, patience, and skill. You might find one or two of these in your typical PUG match, but very rarely do you ever find all four.

Well, I do run an ECM mech, but it gets boring playing the same mech over and over again, especially when at least half the PUGs I wind up in, if there is ECM, it is because I brought my Halfcat.

#92 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostKobold, on 06 December 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

Foreword for Garth: You had to put up with my ECM question(rant) in a NGNG podcast. You've seen so many posts from me about the topic, I'm sure. Sorry about all that. I'm giving up my ECM crusade and following my own advice: Focus on the real problem.

TL; DR summary - This post is about fixing the underlying mechanics of guided weapons in MWO. All this talk about ECM overlooks the fact that many people have problems with how Streaks and LRMs function. Rather than use ECM as a band aid for the underlying problem, why don't we address the issue of the missiles? This post is long. Very long. Fair warning.

We will be only talking about a status quo world to start with. This means TAG, Narc, Artemis, ECM, etc get addressed AFTER addressing the underlying mechanics.

Step 1: Premises

Premise 1: Many people think LRMs provide too much benefit for the level of skill required.

Premise 2: Many people think Streaks provide too much benefit for the skill required AND the tonnage required.

Background: Know where we came from to know where we are going

As way of background, lets note the functionality of LRMs and streaks in tabletop.

In tabletop, all weapons require to-hit rolls. The LRM, gauss rifle, PPC, and ER large laser all have the same chance to hit at functionally similar ranges. Streak SRMs have the same chance to hit as normal SRMs or medium lasers, at the same ranges. When LRMs do hit, they hit for a variable amount of damage. Streaks, weighing more than standard SRMs have two benefits in tabletop. First, when they hit, every missile hits (as opposed to the partial damage dealt by normal SRMs and by LRMs). Second, when they miss, they do not waste ammo or generate heat. Damage, tonnage, ammo, and heat is relatively balanced based on these assumptions.

PGI changed some of these assumptions.

For LRMs, the lock on feature made them much more likely to hit (massively more likely, in that they hit all the time). There is at least a slight trade off, in that the very slow missile travel time means the target of the missile has time to seek cover. However despite the slow travel time, it still requires very less effort to hit someone who is walking in the open with significant numbers of missiles compared to hitting them with consistent AC2 fire, or holding a large laser beam on them, for example. If you are firing at someone who is currently brawling, you will get very consistent damage without having to aim, and you barely even risk hitting your own teammate.

This is the source of Premise 1.

For SSRMs, not only do you not have to aim as much as SRMs, but your target for the most part cannot even try to evade your shots. The current issue of all the missiles hitting the torso is said to be being addressed by the devs. However even without that, while it is correct that Streaks are supposed to hit with every missile every time they connect, we are still in a situation where the streaks are hitting every time the pilot pulls the trigger, which is far, far more powerful than any other current weapon. This goes even beyond the LRMs, which can at least be evaded... kind of.

This is the source of Premise 2.

Goal 1: Add skill to guided missiles.

Both Premise 1 and Premise 2 address the issue that guided weapons are just too easy to use. While one way to fix this would be to simply reduce the damage of the weapons until one can consistently do more damage with the "skilled weapons," this is not the preferred method.

Because the skill level of the player base varies widely, it is nearly impossible to fairly balance a "static, easy damage" weapon against weapons whose damage output varies with skill. If they are balanced for a low ELO player to do better with aimed weapons, then they will be basically worthless in games between skilled players. If they are balanced to do ok damage compared to that dished out by skilled players with lasers or ballistics, then they will do far too much damage in the hands of newbies against other ELO matched newbies.

The goal should be to instead add more skill to the use of missiles first.

Why are guided weapons easy to use right now? Right now, an LRM boat's cross hairs don't have to stay on the enemy mech, they only need to stay near the enemy mech. Once lock is attained by an LRM boat or streak user, the crosshairs again only have to stay "near" the target.

PGI has already shown us that they can do lots of things with how lock ons and missile paths work, and they can do it dynamically while missiles are in the air. Variables such as lock on time, missile path, and missile spread are all modifiable by various pieces of equipment. I would like to see one other thing modifiable as well, if the code does not already support it: angle of lock

By adjusting these all depending on conditions in play, you can create escalating difficulty in using guided weapons, depending on the factors present. I propose a series of possible ways to improve the level of skill required in guided missiles in a status quo world. The presence of positive influencing factors (TAG, Narc, Artemis) can improve performance, allowing lower skilled players to perform easier, and rewarding teamwork. These ideas can be used all together or in part, but would work best together as part of an entire systemic overhaul.

Here is an example of one way to do it:
  • Case 1 - Non-targeted locking: Allow locking onto and firing of weapons at targets that are not targeted, but to which the launcher has line of sight. This will be the baseline setting. This lock on should take longer than standard to lock on, require that the launcher's cross hairs stay completely on the target at all time, should be lost as soon as the cross hairs move off the target.

• Case 2 - Line of Sight, Targeted locking: When firing at a target which the launcher has line of sight and had the target selected, lock on should occur faster than in Case 1, but still slower than the current default lock speed. Further, while we may wish to not require the cross hairs to be directly on the target, I would advocate a "lock angle" that is smaller than what we have currently in game, to make it marginally harder to maintain lock on a moving target, especially while moving yourself.

• Case 3 - No Line of Sight, Targeted locking: This is our indirect fire mode. It should be somewhere between Case 1 and Case 2. It should be less effective than when you can see the target. Possible solutions would be a longer lock on time, quicker loss of lock, and wider missile spread.
The result of these changes would be that LRMs are harder to use at longer range, harder to quickly get fire on a target unless you have a very quick aim, and would be less effective when fired indirectly, shifting the risk-reward ratio.

Once we have established a base line, status quo world that requires more skill to use LRMs, we can then add the positive influencing factor equipment to make significant improvements. Currently Narc is basically junk, TAG is ok but not great (current ECM functionality aside), and Artemis is decent, but a luxury. We can change this, to reward people who try harder to use teamwork.

Narc would allow for targeting (via "R") targets that are either outside of normal targeting range or to which the launcher or teammates do not have line of sight. TAG could significant decrease the lock on time or increase the "lock angle" for the cross hair. Artemis could significantly tighten the groupings (as it does now).

Now we have a situation where LRMs are harder to use effectively at a status quo level, and we have positive influencing factors that are much better than they were before. So now we can look at ECM. In TT, ECM blocks Narc, Artemis, and C3 (no effect on TAG). Because we've added TAG functionality to LRMs, however, lets let ECM block that too. Now ECM blocks all the fancy offensive technology that makes LRMs work better, but it is no longer a game breaker. Why not? Because we can still fire LRMs at enemies when we have direct line of sight! ECM has brought us back to the status quo world, LRMs can still be used, but require more effort.

Many of these principles involving lock on time, angle of lock, and quickly losing lock apply to streaks as well. If you allow streaks to slowly lock on enemies which you don't have targeted, and have them quickly lose locks, they suddenly become functional in an ECM world if you still want to "cloak" mechs in the bubble. Are they as functional? No, but they can at least be be used if you have the skill to hold the target.

Goal 2: Reduce effectiveness of Streaks.

However, even applying the above rationale to Streaks may not be enough. Consider for the moment that a Streak Cat carries 6 SSRM2s, a total of 9 tons of weapons. They are a devastating force once they have lock, because it is trivial for the pilot to keep firing and keep hitting. As we stated before, in the source material (TT), Streaks are supposed to be as hard to hit a target with as SRMs. Here we clearly aren't just looking to add skill to the weapon, but we want a straight nerf.

Step 1 is already going to be done by the devs, which is to have the missiles target components at random. This will alleviate the "all damage to the CT" problem completely, but it won't change the fact that, in comparison to SRMs, Streaks hit their target far more often (in that they hit all the time). For fast moving mechs, this is a much bigger issue, because even with spread damage, a Jenner will quickly die even to 12 normal tubes of SRMs if they never miss.

Step 2 should be reducing the chances a Streak user has to hit the target! The simplest solution here is to tighten the lock on parameters significantly. As we saw in the LRM example, we could use a combination of increased lock on time as well as losing lock as soon as the crosshairs are off the target. All of a sudden we've created a situation where it takes much more effort on the part of the launcher to hold the target, even if the actual firing of the missiles is easy.

Other options for dealing with streaks: Notably I have ignored a few options for "balancing" streaks, such as heat or recycle time. Part of this is for canon reasons (a Streak 2 should not generate more heat then a standard SRM2), but also because, effectiveness wise, heat and recycle time are not good balancing factors unless the only thing you are trying to adjust is DPS. If you can kill someone with one alpha of a massed weapon (see: Vulture A, 60 ton clan mech with six SSRM6 launchers), then it won't matter what the cooldown time or heat load is.

Conclusion:

Even if you don't like my proposed solutions, the point of this thread is to focus on the underlying issues (functionality of Streaks and LRMs), not to argue about ECM. ECM arguments should happen, yes, but only AFTER we come to a consensus on what should be done with Streaks and LRMs in the absence of ECM.

Please remain respectful of one another when posting in this thread. Ad hominem attacks on people who choose to use specific weapons, or play in specific styles are unhelpful, as they distract from legitimate concerns and make it less likely that anyone from PGI takes a thread seriously.

Kobold, i generally like and agree with your posts but i have to take issue with two things here. In general, i support your ideas but i think that

A- You missed the point where SOMETHING in the game has to be used to control light mechs traveling over 120kph.. I dont use streaks because I like the, I use them because hitting light mechs with lasers is just spraying damage over them...they are tough enough that it still takes a long time to kill them with lasers, and its next to impossible with Ballistics or LRMS.

B- ECM is still Overpowered...do not give up that crusade...its way WAY to light, too small and with no downside or skill to use effectively...its simply mount and win.

#93 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostCodejack, on 08 December 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Well, I do run an ECM mech, but it gets boring playing the same mech over and over again, especially when at least half the PUGs I wind up in, if there is ECM, it is because I brought my Halfcat.

I rarely run my DC-C (I ran him twice so far today), but I've noticed that at least half (if not 75%) of the PUG matches I've been in today I've been on the team with NO ECM at all. Very frustrating, but I only PUG to test builds and to avoid my clan/merc when I'm not in a 'sociable' mood, so I can afford to purchase a 'mech capable of carrying ECM. I would guess that most PUG players are playing in PUGs because of their inability to cooperate, communicate, excercise patience or self-control and therefore don't have the millions of CBill neccessary to purchase and outfit a new 'mech properly. A few more weeks after they've had time to earn some cash and we'll probably see more and more ECM in PUGs.

What I have noticed is a decided lack of LRMs in matches though. The first thing I did today was upgrade my Founder's Jenner into an ultra fast scout/spotter. Many is the time I've TAG'd an enemy 'mech for full minutes and not one LRM was ever shot in their direction. Either they just aren't being fired, they're not being fired at TAG'd 'mechs, or they're not being brought. I kind of doubt it's the first two, so I have to go that people just aren't bringing LRMs to battles anymore.

That sucks. When I've brought my A1, I've had some good games. Again, I just excercised patience and kept my head down until the enemy ECM was down, and if they didn't bring ECM until they put themselves into a position that I'd be able to maintain a lock on them for at least 2 or 3 salvos. I've had to do most of my own spotting though (which is why I switched to a spotter type 'mech I wanted to see if it had gotten that much harder or not)...

#94 Redmond Spiderhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

A good thread.
I think some of what you are talking about may be too much of a nerf to LRMs though. I wouldn't mind seeing the current model reduced slightly in effectiveness and used as the 'indirect fire' option. In exchange (as I dont see LRMs as particularly overpowered anymore) I'd like to see a very effective but different 'direct fire' mode added. They'd need to be faster so you actually have a chance of aiming with them. They'd also need to be done without any sort of client side lock on mechanic, though I'd be interested in seeing what an 'in flight' lock on mechanic could look like. (As the missile swarm approaches the mech the missiles attempt to lock, with success ratio approximating the' # of missiles hit' chart from TT)

I dont know that I would call streak changes a nerf, (though no matter what you call it, its still reduced effectiveness), the mechanic is completely wrong and I'd love to see it changed. As you mentioned Streaks need to have the following characteristics:
  • All or nothing - Either everything hits or nothing hits, no ammo, no heat
  • Chance to Miss - The pilot needs to aim. If they miss the weapon still should go into recycle, but no ammo, no heat
I have no idea how exactly they could code that though.. perhaps just tighten up the lock on parameters and remove the indicator so the pilot doesnt just have to press the button when the circle goes red, if they fire without lock send the weapon through a recylce

#95 Redmond Spiderhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostKobold, on 07 December 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Try running a RVN-3L with two SRM-6 launchers, and see what happens when you fire the left arm launcher.

I LOLd the first time I ran that build... then promptly switched it out

#96 Vrekgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 December 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

I rarely run my DC-C (I ran him twice so far today), but I've noticed that at least half (if not 75%) of the PUG matches I've been in today I've been on the team with NO ECM at all. Very frustrating, but I only PUG to test builds and to avoid my clan/merc when I'm not in a 'sociable' mood, so I can afford to purchase a 'mech capable of carrying ECM. I would guess that most PUG players are playing in PUGs because of their inability to cooperate, communicate, excercise patience or self-control and therefore don't have the millions of CBill neccessary to purchase and outfit a new 'mech properly. A few more weeks after they've had time to earn some cash and we'll probably see more and more ECM in PUGs.

What I have noticed is a decided lack of LRMs in matches though. The first thing I did today was upgrade my Founder's Jenner into an ultra fast scout/spotter. Many is the time I've TAG'd an enemy 'mech for full minutes and not one LRM was ever shot in their direction. Either they just aren't being fired, they're not being fired at TAG'd 'mechs, or they're not being brought. I kind of doubt it's the first two, so I have to go that people just aren't bringing LRMs to battles anymore.

That sucks. When I've brought my A1, I've had some good games. Again, I just excercised patience and kept my head down until the enemy ECM was down, and if they didn't bring ECM until they put themselves into a position that I'd be able to maintain a lock on them for at least 2 or 3 salvos. I've had to do most of my own spotting though (which is why I switched to a spotter type 'mech I wanted to see if it had gotten that much harder or not)...

Ive noticed a dramatic reduction of LRM launchers in battle. Way more SRM and balistic spam. So I run my LRM Toting (Its got more lasers than missiles) founders atlas and play paitently and some people dont know what hit em.

#97 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostSpiralRazor, on 08 December 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Kobold, i generally like and agree with your posts but i have to take issue with two things here. In general, i support your ideas but i think that

A- You missed the point where SOMETHING in the game has to be used to control light mechs traveling over 120kph.. I dont use streaks because I like the, I use them because hitting light mechs with lasers is just spraying damage over them...they are tough enough that it still takes a long time to kill them with lasers, and its next to impossible with Ballistics or LRMS.

B- ECM is still Overpowered...do not give up that crusade...its way WAY to light, too small and with no downside or skill to use effectively...its simply mount and win.

RE: A - Streaks being the most effective weapon against lights is a net code problem. Unfortunately we have lots of moving pieces in this entire discussion. Put in collisions, and put in some form of net code that allows the hit scan type weapons (lasers) actually not require leading, and all of a sudden lights go back to being death traps. Maybe none of this matters once we have working net code, and maybe we won't have to fix streaks at all!

RE: B - I've always believed that the two main problems with ECM are the 1) prevention of locking onto targets inside of it, and 2) the prevention of mechs inside the enemy ECM from locking on. These are both justified by the pro-ECM crowd as a way to "balance" the "unskilled LRM boaters" and the overpowered Streak cats. If we could fix the underlying problems that may exist with those two weapon systems, then it will be a lot easier to get PGI to remove those features of ECM that they added.

#98 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostKobold, on 08 December 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

RE: A - Streaks being the most effective weapon against lights is a net code problem. Unfortunately we have lots of moving pieces in this entire discussion. Put in collisions, and put in some form of net code that allows the hit scan type weapons (lasers) actually not require leading, and all of a sudden lights go back to being death traps. Maybe none of this matters once we have working net code, and maybe we won't have to fix streaks at all!

OK, but even then, you are effectively removing an entire weapon system from the game. Reduce its damage, increase heat, whatever, but it is a legitimate weapon.

#99 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostCodejack, on 08 December 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

OK, but even then, you are effectively removing an entire weapon system from the game. Reduce its damage, increase heat, whatever, but it is a legitimate weapon.

Did you not read the second part of my post (which you omitted from the quote) where I specifically said ECM should neither prevent firing missiles into it, nor should it prevent mechs inside of it from achieving locks?

Streaks and LRMs shouldn't be neutered by ECM. But the fact so many people are happy they are, suggests there is a problem with the underlying weapons (though as I've said a few times in this thread, I think streaks are more of a culprit in this department than LRMs).

Simple test to see if streaks are too good right now: Would anyone currently running a streak cat be willing to run an otherwise identical CPLT-A1 that instead of 6xSSRM2, it only carried 3xSRM6? (equal tonnage worth of normal SRMs)

#100 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostKobold, on 08 December 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

Did you not read the second part of my post (which you omitted from the quote) where I specifically said ECM should neither prevent firing missiles into it, nor should it prevent mechs inside of it from achieving locks?

Well, no one reads anything I write... ;)

View PostKobold, on 08 December 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

Streaks and LRMs shouldn't be neutered by ECM. But the fact so many people are happy they are, suggests there is a problem with the underlying weapons (though as I've said a few times in this thread, I think streaks are more of a culprit in this department than LRMs).

Simple test to see if streaks are too good right now: Would anyone currently running a streak cat be willing to run an otherwise identical CPLT-A1 that instead of 6xSSRM2, it only carried 3xSRM6? (equal tonnage worth of normal SRMs)

Here's my test: Was a streakcat by itself likely to turn the outcome of the match? Compare to ECM ^_^

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users