Projectiles Do Not Do Concentrated Damage Anymore

153 replies to this topic

Poll: Projectiles implicit damage spread (134 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think this mechanics is viable?

1. No (114 votes [85.07%])

Percentage of vote: 85.07%

2. Yes (20 votes [14.93%])

Percentage of vote: 14.93%

Vote

#21 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 06 December 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

They want fewer headshots in the game.

Deal with it.

I am. I'm complaining about it :rolleyes: ;)

#22 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

Deal with it.

Oh, if it was only about headshots.
Sometimes, I hit a light with a burst. I expect it to go pop, if I hit CT, but instead he just keeps running. Add lagshields to it and you will get all frustration I have.

View PostOmigir, on 06 December 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

has anybody stopped to see what kind of a spread that is being discussed here?

I have updated original post with my support request letter, that contains examples =)

#23 semalferuzA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

The only time I've noticed this is if I'm aiming for headshots or landing inbetween zones. Against light mechs it's often hard to even tell what zone you are hitting unless it's from the side. I'm fine with the way it's working currently.

Your poll is incredibly biased. As such, the results are heavily skewed.

Edited by semalferuzA, 06 December 2012 - 05:08 AM.

#24 Naitsirch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

Deal with it.

Good attitude, also wrong conclusion from you and the devs. Since they care about Headshots they should just give the head more armor or remove it alltogether. What they did is they screwed the reason for ac20 and the likes to be chosen. To have a semi-lbx-effect without the easier to aim spray applies to ALL zones and not only the head and is in fact the most stupid change anyone could've come up with.
On a sidenote: That mech costing 5k+MC, it has ballistic main armement... Wouldn't it have been kinda important to tell your customers about that change beforehand or AT ALL?!

#25 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

without realising it - this stopped me from using PPC's last night and switched back to UAC5's on all builds instead

#26 Sorter

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

Well, I can't confirm this and Im ballistic player. Maybe (and just maybe) damage spread's only when You hit a guy in the cockpit. Maybe.

#27 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:10 AM

View PostsemalferuzA, on 06 December 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

The only time I've noticed this is if I'm aiming for headshots or landing inbetween zones. I'm fine with the way it's working currently.

Your poll is incredibly biased. As such, the results are heavily skewed.

Sorry, I won't agree about the poll being biased. There are exactly TWO opinions on the matter. First one - implicit, again implicit damage spread is bad, so NO. If it was explicit, say ACs would have been shooting a burst of bullets, not one big shell, that would be fine and explainable.
Second one - yes, implicit mechanics should stay not to get people frustrated by being one shot.

Actually, I should have specified "other" in the poll, but hence, you can just write "other" in the reply and not vote.

#28 Naitsirch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

View PostNarnia, on 06 December 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

• Gave the "bullets" used for the autocannons, gauss rifle, and PPCs a 0.25 m collision radius (it was previously 0, a single point)
From the patch notes received on July 12th.

Only applies to the first sentence of the GM-answer, the second about possible increase of diameter up close it does not relate to

#29 197mmCannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Go-cho
  • Go-cho
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

I like it.

We don't know how much it is being spread by. could just be a little bit to prevent the one-shots.

Getting one-shotted is not fun.

Anything that keeps mechs alive longer so we fight more is better imo.

#30 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

I wasn't a tester in July. I would have raged about this! AC rounds are Depleted Uranium Armor Piercing Rounds. AP does not spread damage! It concentrates it to breech armor. Hence the armor piercing designation.

#31 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

• Gave the "bullets" used for the autocannons, gauss rifle, and PPCs a 0.25 m collision radius (it was previously 0, a single point)

Thank you for the info, however, here is the question: WAS it played with lately? Or it's just me? Because since exactly LAST patch it became all but impossible for me to one-shot anything with dual AC20s.

#32 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

that's from July 12th... since the patch yesterday, PPC's are alot worse in damage spread and players above are noticing that other ballistics are worse pre and post patch - has it been increased further than the notes for July indicate?

#33 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

Whoa.

Just had a Keanu moment there. Nothing personal Undead, at all. But this is the internet; so most of us are not going to take anyone's word for anything. :rolleyes: Most of us are going to want to see something from the Devs themselves. If this is true, however, I don't care for this one bit. Especially in the way it was handled. This is a big, big deal for players, like me, that specialize in our AC's and being able to deliever burst damage to specific spots.

#34 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

That long ago?

I thought that was to reduce the misses with these weapons? That also does translate into damage spread? Interesting, if that's the case.

And so it becomes less surprising that the Dual Gauss + PPC mech is even less impressive than I expected.

What's the damage spread for lasers then? Seems to me as if Ballistics aren't useful for pinpoint precision anymore.

#35 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostKommisar, on 06 December 2012 - 05:12 AM, said:

Whoa.

Just had a Keanu moment there. Nothing personal Undead, at all. But this is the internet; so most of us are not going to take anyone's word for anything. :rolleyes: Most of us are going to want to see something from the Devs themselves. If this is true, however, I don't care for this one bit. Especially in the way it was handled. This is a big, big deal for players, like me, that specialize in our AC's and being able to deliever burst damage to specific spots.

No problems here =) I can actually forward support response letter, if someone wants it. Devs comments on increasing size of a projectile would be nice, though.

However, we just should not turn this thread into QQ and stay as constructive as possible to get that.

#36 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

This was the fix for people getting "through armor killed" without any damage.
Appearently, the bullet went "around" the armor and (because of size) hit the internal instead.
To fix this, they increased the hitbox of the bullet to let it explode earlyer (on hitting the armor).
As the explosion is now "above" the surface, the hit location is spread.

I don't know, if this fix was good, bad, or wrong, but I would like to know such things in the patchnotes, or official posts early after a patch.

MWLL uses spread damage together with single-zone damage for their big hit weapons and they are quite good with it.
But the values are different. (e.g. a PPC does around 8 damage on hit and spread 6 damage around (dealing 14 damage to this zone and 6 to nearby, if there are any).
(numbers are examples)

#37 Naitsirch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

Am I the only one feeling a bit peed on by the second sentence? The diameter increases when you get closer? So I should stay away from a mech in order to hit a zone more precisely?

#38 Texas Merc

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

This has been around forever.... nothing to see here.

seriously....

#39 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

well screw that. I've spent most of my time here working on taking advantage of the high accuracy of ERPPCs and Gauss Rifles
ow you tell me that ONLY lame arsed lasers get to be accurate? Well ****** this for a joke... Direct Fire support is hard enough already without this. Why shouldn't I be able to blast the cockpit of a Muppet that tries to stare down an Atlas at 600 meters? Why did I get Advanced Zoom again?

Edited by Sam Slade, 06 December 2012 - 05:30 AM.

#40 Naitsirch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

View PostTexas Merc, on 06 December 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

This has been around forever.... nothing to see here.

seriously....

Then it has been wrong forever, [REDACTED]

Edited by miSs, 06 December 2012 - 07:57 AM.
insults

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users