Aiming Mechanism For Lrms And Ssrms

12 replies to this topic

#1 RedMercury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 223 posts
  • LocationChina

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Make LRMS have 2 flight phases. The mid-course phase is unguided. The late phase is guided, but uses lock-on-after-launch with a small target acquisition basket. That means you have to do some aiming to get the LRMs close enough to your target so that the late phase will lock-on. No need for lock-on before you fire. Just aim (with proper lead and possibly elevation, if flight path is made balistic) and toss your lrms. When the missiles near the target, they will automatically try to lock on for the final approach. This is similar to some real world guided artillery systems. The size of the acquisition basket can be tweaked to make LRM aiming easier or harder. This makes shooting LRMs at distant and moving targets require skill, yet not as difficult as shooting a dumbfire missile at that distance.

Make SSRMs use a new and different locking system. You aim your reticle and click. After a brief delay, if a target is under the reticule (which does not move since you clicked), your streaks will lock and fire and hit. If not, your streaks will not lock, not fire, but still recycle (as per table top rules). This makes aiming streaks at moving targets require skill, yet still give you benefit of streaks vs regular srms. The delay can be adjusted to make the process easier or harder. Basically, you need to predict your target's movements (like SRMs), but if you do it right, all missiles hit (in the spirit of streak).

#2 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hey, I like this idea. +1

#3 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I agree on SSRMs.

On LRMs, in order to remain close enough to BT lore (i.e, not a game rule-related reference, but one of consistent cultural technological background), which has referred many times to LRM lock prior to firing, I think the present system handles it very well. I do think that it should allow short-term loss of lock after launch while the missiles are in the first 2/3 of their trajectory and then if reacquisition of lock is achieved in time, the missiles correct and make it to target (with impact results varying based on how well the pilot was able to make this happen...reaquiring too late may result in only some missiles hitting due to lack of time for flightpath correction). This somewhat combines your concept with the original. It's possible that the present system in fact acts this way. I haven't been able to confirm that, but sometimes it feels like it.

#4 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Well if we combined the models such that LRMs are fired without lock-on and so long as you lock-on before they hit 50% flight time they hit, it's much closer to CBT since even LRM accuracy was impacted by mw skill in CBT.

This would make LRMs less usable at close range because you could not acquire the lock in time, but they could still be used as dumb fire weapons up close.

This would be a very cool mechanic without actually deviating from CBT at all really.

#5 Imagine Dragons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Interesting...

#6 Quad Ace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Not bad ideas. Personally, I'd like to see the appropriate reticule do the locking. If you've got missiles in the arms, the arm reticule does the locking (as current). Missiles in the torso use the torso reticule.

#7 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

+1 Quad Ace's suggestion

#8 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

I'm sticking to my assertions above for LRMs regarding the need for an initial lock prior to launch then a final trajectory lock. I'm not strongly against the idea of negating the need for an initial lock, I'd find it acceptable, but a second-best solution for matching everything we know about BT/MW.

Things to consider about the notion of still allowing LRMs to have close-in, dumb-fire damage: while it goes against the rules, the notion partly supports lore - for example, Morgan Kell could fire his Archer's LRM20s at Yurinaga Kurita at point-blank range and "batter" his target (enough to crack Yurinaga's canopy), but the notion behind the missiles not providing normal damage was based on the idea that LRM warheads don't arm until later in their trajectory. Sarna presently describes Inner Sphere LRMs as always launching with a ballistically high vector, thus causing the inability to hit at close range. And regardless of technical explanation, this limitation is not present in Clan LRMs. I'd recommend that the notion of Inner Sphere LRMs doing damage at less than 180m remain only a story effect, not real damage in MWO. Though MWO should show a better effect than it does today, where the LRMs seem to sail through the target. I'd rather see them bounce off and maybe provide a bit of impact shake.

Edited by Elyam, 06 December 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#9 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

As for the 'dumb fire mode', just make so that if you don't have a lock the missiles wizzz about wildly and just make a mess. :-)

#10 Ceribus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 230 posts
  • LocationVancouver Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Just a heads up LRMs are already dumb fireable and with proper timing you can hit a target without ever getting a lock, albeight with larger launchers the spread can be a bit rediculous. with my LRM 5 I can usually hit a mech with 4 of the missiles.

#11 Rocket2Uranus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

I can say with honesty, that there are times when I fire a LRM with lock and seeing it take the most RIDICULOUS route to the target infuriates me.

I had a teammate target locking with NARC. And while I was unloading 20LRM x 2 like hell, a third or half would pump with hills/buildings before hitting a target. Which is quite upsetting.

I think missile flight should be locked in per barrage when fired on a locked target. The path should be followed even when you lose the lock. Just it doesn't home in the target but flies to the target as "locked" on prior.

#12 Quad Ace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostRocket2Uranus, on 06 December 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

I had a teammate target locking with NARC. And while I was unloading 20LRM x 2 like hell, a third or half would pump with hills/buildings before hitting a target. Which is quite upsetting.

Make whoever is doing your scouting call for shots only when the target is open. Can't count the number of LRM salvos that I've caused to be wasted by the following technique:
  • Stand on hill
  • Wait for incoming missile alarm
  • Step off backside of hill
  • Listen to enemy firepower wasted on hill
  • Repeat until enemy ammo depleted
Seriously, with a good scout, you can pick your salvos and do damage with every shot.

#13 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Ceribus: I'm sure you're right, since they're armed after 180m, they still detonate when they hit.

Above was just referring to the less than 180m dumbfire...the whole Morgan/Yurinaga thing caused some riffs with players and homegrown rules over the years to make the rules fit what is one of BT's most extraordinary legends.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users