[Idea] Rear View Mirror Module

6 replies to this topic

#1 Domush

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Seeing as we have rear facing cameras in our vehicles today, I'd expect mechs in 2400+ CE are capable of installing them as well.

How about some rear facing camera love? Works well as a module.

Edited by Domush, 07 December 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#2 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

That would be cool to have an actual monitor in the cockpit to check behind you. I'd prefer it to be off the HUD though and only on the cockpit console.

#3 Willie Sauerland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

While kewl and actually canon, it isn't possible with the Cryengine. The zoom module is a perfect example of why. This is why the Dragon and Atlas (and others) all have forward-facing weapons instead of rear facing like they should.

#4 Rathmun

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostWillie Sauerland, on 07 December 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

While kewl and actually canon, it isn't possible with the Cryengine. The zoom module is a perfect example of why. This is why the Dragon and Atlas (and others) all have forward-facing weapons instead of rear facing like they should.

Not quite true. The engine might not have any given support for it, but it does support reflective surfaces. These could be shoehorned into giving the desired result. (cull all polys behind the pilot, put a mirror in that shows behind)

That said, I'm not sure how clean the result would be.

#5 Willie Sauerland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostRathmun, on 09 December 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

Not quite true. The engine might not have any given support for it, but it does support reflective surfaces. These could be shoehorned into giving the desired result. (cull all polys behind the pilot, put a mirror in that shows behind)

That said, I'm not sure how clean the result would be.

If the Zoom Module is any indication, not well. It is so useless, nobody is using it. When you start buying modules, I would recommend skipping this one as the picture-in-picture zoom is grainy and pixelated.

So, your assumption that a reflective surface could be shoehorned into a workable rear-view mirror is not correct, at least not at this stage of the engine. I do hope it is corrected at some point....

#6 YoMomma1991

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

I think the rear view camera should be a must for everyone, but the way they should do it is that you have to free look in the cockpit to see the screen of the rear view camera. So it is still possible to sneak up on people.

#7 Thirdrail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Private
  • Private
  • 169 posts
  • LocationI'm just wandering around.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

"Hey, can you build me a 100 ton bipedal robot that can walk up mountains and through rivers?"
"Sure! No problem!"
"Also, can I get a couple of side mirrors. You know, like on a 1974 Ford Pinto."
"Sorry, that's way beyond our tech level."
"Oh. How about a CB radio, like they had in dump trucks in 1962? So I can talk to the other robot pilots?"
"Voice chat with someone who isn't actually standing next to you? I'm an engineer, dude, not a magician!"
"Fine. No worries. I'll just take this founder's atlas. And a couple cans of spray paint."
"Ummm. Could you wait here a second? I think you should talk to the manager..."

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users