Arcades Of The 80s

20 replies to this topic

#1 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hello all. :rolleyes: Reaching here, as most of you young guys may not remember this decade.

Anyway, back in the 80s era, arcades where the norm, and very popular. This pre dated internet, though I did have an Atari 2600 back then. :D

Any old farts like myself remember those days, sound off. :D

Got to add. Had an arcade in my town, visited by not just them but those from at least 50 miles away. Just to boast a bit. :angry: Back then I was one of the best in an arcade game called Asteroids. The arcade I frequented had a year long top score for each arcade game they had. I won tops in 1981 with a score of around 96,000. Can not remember the actual score, heck it was back in the 80s. :D Lost the following year, but won again in 1983 with a score of 300,000. Yeah I what you called it then, flipped the game 3 times. Closest score to me that year was one guy flipping the game once. To those that do not know, Asteroids score went as high as 99,990. When you got past 100,000 game flipped to zero.

Anyway, to prove my post, here are the two trophies I still own from winning high score for the years 1981, and 1983. :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Knusern

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

Asteroids you say :)
Posted Image
This is my Mame machine currently running Asteroids.
Asteroids is a little too old for me to remember i started to hang around in the arcades in 86- 87
Double dragon was the game for me.

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Those games were just about your stamina (google translate). :)

#4 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

I came in the twilight years of arcades, starting in the mid 90s, so my games were more Afterburner (technically still 80s :)), the Raiden series, House of the Dead, Time Crisis, etc. The only game from the early 80s that I played regularly was Sinistar.

Still, I had an Atari 2600 for a number of years, so I still got to enjoy those games... once we scoured enough flea markets for games, a video adapter for the TV, etc. Asteroids was still never really my game, in particular. Joust and Missile Command were more my games.

#5 Jericho917

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Lunar Lander.... damn i miss that game... so simple, but so fun.

#6 Bolo Warden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 168 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostCatamount, on 15 May 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

The only game from the early 80s that I played regularly was Sinistar.

Sinistar was a great game....as was Joust. One quarter = 2+ hours of fun.

And that stupid bat in the Atari 2600 Adventure game....put me into the walls a number of times.

#7 Shezmu

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCider Country

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

I was born 1980 so grew up in the 80’s and 90’s and remember some good times down at the arcades. My older brothers had an Atari 2600 but my first machine was the good old Commodore 64 :)

#8 Knusern

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Got them all .. i have over 3000 arcade games in that machine,
about 1000 amiga and atleast a 1000 c64 games aswell

#9 A6PackofToucans

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

I'm like Knusern, I have the entire Mame arcade collection for my PC, don't have it all set up in a cabinet though.

The best times I remember are when my mom and dad would give my brother and I $20 to convert into quarters to play at Chuck E Cheese. Now don't laugh, but in 1981 Chuck E. Cheese was actually for teenagers. They had almost 100 arcade machines in the place. Plus tables for eating pizza and beer for dad lol.

Got the Record high score in Moon Patrol there in 1982 :)

Favorite game, the laserdisc one called M.A.C.H. 3, and Cobra Command. Nothing but good times at the old arcades. Before the internet, before home game systems had good graphics and sound, the arcade was where you met your friends, and girlfriends lol.

Posted Image

#10 Magnificent Bastard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

I love pinball and a lot of oldschool games like Joust and Mr. Do.

#11 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/

Anyone else remember the afterburner II deluxe cabinet you sat down in that tilted and pivoted to match your flying? That thing rocked, even though I sucked at it...

If you really want an arcade education ...

http://www.arcade-mu...r=A&type=Arcade

#12 Mishfal

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

I was born in 1980 as well but I didn't get into arcades until the later 80s, and pretty much all through the 90s. My early arcade favorites were Final Fight, Double Dragon, Aliens, the Contra games, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games (was so awesome to hear their theme music in a video game), Hang On, Street Fighter 1, Punch Out.....ugh just too many to name.

In the 90s I was aaaaaaaaallllll about fighting games. Street Fighter 2 revitalized so many arcades and was way ahead of its time. It singlehandedly put the fighting game genre on the map. I played through all the SF2 updates, as well as the rival fighting games like Mortal Kombat, Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, Samurai Showdown, etc etc etc. Eventually I got into the 3d fighting games as well like Tekken, Soul Blade, etc.

Beside fighting games I'd try to hit up some driving games as well like Crusin USA, Virtua Racers, and.....

DAYTONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Seriously every arcade always had that theme LOUD AS ****. I love it!

#13 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Red Warrior needs food badly.
Blue Wizard shot the food.
Red Warrior curbstomps Blue Wizard.

Galaga, 1942, Galaxian.... ah yes.

#14 A6PackofToucans

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Speaking of the 90's, you know what the best action arcade game was?

METAL SLUG!!!!

Man I wanted a NEO-GEO system so bad just so I could have that game at home.

Posted Image

#15 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostKnusern, on 15 May 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

Asteroids you say ;)
Posted Image
Asteroids is a little too old for me to remember i started to hang around in the arcades in 86- 87

Wow cool machine. ;) Wish I had one of those.

View PostKnusern, on 15 May 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

Asteroids you say :angry:
Posted Image

You remember games like Pole Position and Kung Fu Master from that era? Great games :)

#16 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Any of you remember Space Invaders? ;)

Posted Image

or Ms. Pacman?

Posted Image

#17 Victor MacGregor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationBear Flag Republic

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

There was an old sit-down Pong arcade that my sister and I used to play. Trouble is it was in Bakersfield (or Lost Hills, I can't remember)...in short, the far side of nowhere. We only went there when our grandfather went up there to fly his model airplanes. When we went up there, we'd spend all our money on that old game...it was beautiful T,T

Probably could have just bought the machine for all the quarters we used over the years lol

#18 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I hear yeah. With all the quarters I put in, I could have owned my own arcade. lol

#19 CompleteTanker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Operation Wolf.

That is all.

#20 A6PackofToucans

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

Ahhh, nice one Complete Tanker, always was fun grabbing that uzi and playing.... In the 90's though the same game was Terminator 2 Judgement Day lol.

By the way, does anyone have any vintage photos of real arcades?? I mean any photos taken in the 80's and 90's of some arcade action? I've been trying to describe the arcade scene to a younger friend, and he completely missed out on it. I just can't find any vintage photos of teenagers all hanging out around many dozens of arcade machines in the 80's to help him see what a social event going to the arcade was.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by A6PackofToucans, 31 May 2012 - 02:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users