Yen-Lo Vs Centurion Cn9-D

35 replies to this topic

#1 MacAddict4Life

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Obviously the things they come with by default (such as the XL engine) are different. But what's the real-world different, post-upgrades? That is, if you are willing to take the time and money to upgrade them as you'd like, what's the bottom-line fundamental difference between the two? All I can see is the 2 missile hardpoints, but I have never bought a mech so I know I'm missing something.

#2 Finestaut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

The Wang nets you 30% extra cbills per match, for an otherwise free player, that's a lot of money. The Wang also ditches it's lower arm actuator, so the gun arm is locked to the torso, but you get space to mount an ac20 or a pair of uac5s there (not normally possible). The -D has no cbill bonus, normal arm flexibility, and missiles.

#3 MacAddict4Life

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

So, ignoring the bonus, the are comparable save the missiles? Is there really enough space/weight/etc to make good use of missiles? Which would you recommend my purchasing and using? This would be my first mech, though I've played the trail ones for awhile.

#4 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

If I have an 9-D I'd have 2xMPL, 2xSSRM, 1xLBX10 and the largest XL engine possible. That would make a fierce light hunter, but also means it would be more vulnerable and super expensive to fix if you gets destroyed. (in case you don't know, XL engine means your side torsos would become critical too, while you can run a Std engine 'Mech with only a torso, a head and one leg. Actually happened to me today.)

I'm currently running an YLW with 2xML, 1xLBX10 with 4t of ammo, Endo and Std245 engine. A rather zombie build, but you can keep firing non-stop cuz it is impossible to overheat. Very good mid-range support build, not mentioning the 30% bonus.

Edited by Helmstif, 19 November 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#5 MacAddict4Life

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

So, if you had to retire one, which would you keep? :)

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Selling the Wang means you only get c-bills so I'd retire the mech I can rebuy for c-bills later, which is the CN9-D.

#7 MacAddict4Life

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

I meant for gameplay reasons. I'm only getting one or the other now, and I cannot decide which is a better choice.

#8 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

The Centurion 9D also has a much larger engine cap, and the 300XL it comes with can be re-used in many other mechs (like Jenner or Catapult).
If you don't want an AC/20 arm, or the cbill bonus, then I'd say the Cent-9D is the better mech.

#9 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

If u can get another Mech later, i would coose the Wang. With him you get the C-Bills for the 9D much faster. If you dont get a second Mech later, the coice depends on Taste and Playstyle. imho.

#10 MacAddict4Life

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

I was planning to replace the AC/20 with a Gauss, based on what I've read. Other than the missile slots, they seem the same besides the AC/20 capacity.

So it comes down to the 30%. It seems like, with the XL engine, you're getting a lot more for your money in the 9D, though in the long run the 30% would make up for it.

#11 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

I'll always stick with my D, the mech I've had the most fun with to date. Used to love fast Dragons, but I feel the D somehow outperforms with my style of play.

edit:
I run with stock XL-mech (elite speed @ 104 kph)
UAC5
2xSSRM2
2xML

Edited by Booran, 20 November 2012 - 02:25 AM.

#12 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

View PostMacAddict4Life, on 19 November 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

So, if you had to retire one, which would you keep? :unsure:

I'd keep my CN9-A.

225XL
endo steel
maxed armor except legs (32)

AC/10 (3t)
2x MPL
3x SSRM2 (2t)

or

Gauss (4t)
2x SL
3x SSRM2 (2t)
(saving on HS with this one)

In my CN9-D I run

225XL
endo steel
maxed armor

Dual AC/2 (4t)
2x MPL
2x Artemis SRM4 (3t)

My CN9-AL:

255XL
endo steel
maxed amor except legs
DHS

2x LL
2x MPL
2x SRM6 (3t)

...and I don't even think of selling any of them.

Edited by Ragor, 20 November 2012 - 02:36 AM.

#13 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

View PostMacAddict4Life, on 19 November 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

So, ignoring the bonus, the are comparable save the missiles? Is there really enough space/weight/etc to make good use of missiles? Which would you recommend my purchasing and using? This would be my first mech, though I've played the trail ones for awhile.

Keep in mind that to upgrade your pilot skills you need 3 variants of the same chassis. Currently there are only three variants of the Centurion including the wang. Another variant will be released eventually though.

Since you are going to be spending real money on the wang, I'd wait a bit until you have enough experience to decide on your own if you want to spend that money.

#14 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostHauser, on 20 November 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

Keep in mind that to upgrade your pilot skills you need 3 variants of the same chassis. Currently there are only three variants of the Centurion including the wang. Another variant will be released eventually though.

Since you are going to be spending real money on the wang, I'd wait a bit until you have enough experience to decide on your own if you want to spend that money.

This.

If you want to pilot Cents, you will want the second tier experience perks. In this case, I say buy the Wang with real money and use it's bonus to build the funds to buy the CB expensive Cent-9D, and use it to eventually buy the Cent-AL. I'd recommend the AL since it can mount some lasers in the right arm while the Cent-A is very much like the Wang and 9D. Might as well have some variety.

For your interest, I'm running up the Cent chain myself using that strat, I bought a Wang for a little extra profit while I did the XP grind. I FOOLISHLY picked up the Cent-A as my third variant thinking I could just stick one of the XL engines I already own in it and make a Cent-D style mech on the cheap. I was wrong, this cannot be done. It might be nice if the devs worked on communicating this knowledge in-game before making a purchase. I'd much rather have the Cent-D since the A plays so much like the Wang (minus the bigger gun/2 ballistic mounts, but with the addition of chest SRMs). The idea of chasing down scouts with a giant shotgun gives me goosebumps.

My fav so far is actually the Cent-AL. I slapped two LLAS in the right arm and ignored the missile mount. Nothing like melting other Cents and Hunchies long before they get into their effective range. Plus the tight beam configuration makes it only look like one laser, while really you are kicking out a much greater threat. Stand behind your teammates in the immediate skirmish and many enemies won't even notice how much damage you're doing.

#15 Outfoxed

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

I have all four Cents currently in the game. and will agree with the post above me. If you want to focus on Cents the Wang should be your first as it will bank-roll your future builds. After that it is a matter of choice, I would definatly recomend the D over the A for its greater options of engine, choice. Inless you wanted to be a medium missile boat.

#16 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

YLW with all upgrades (endo,dhs,ff) lets you mount an ac20 with 4 tons of ammo, 2med lasers and a standard 250 engine (87.x km/h, 10 dhs going at 2.0). Just strip leg armor to 40 each or drop 1 ton ammo.

Once the ac20 gets upgraded itll get even better

#17 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

View PostBooran, on 20 November 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

I'll always stick with my D, the mech I've had the most fun with to date. Used to love fast Dragons, but I feel the D somehow outperforms with my style of play.

edit:
I run with stock XL-mech (elite speed @ 104 kph)
UAC5
2xSSRM2
2xML

Those who were fond with the Dragon will surely give credits to the CN9-D.

I gotta save up even more C-bills to purchase one. It's absurdly expensive to ride though.

#18 GT Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Love the speed of the D but I don't have one. Got cash in Hand but got a AL, A and a Wang. The wang with default load out of ac20 and 2 ml has been amazing. Of course added customization's such as endo steel, DHS and case. But overall I love it. I did try the wang with a gauss and to be honest, its just not the same for me. I put a Gauss in the A with 2 ml and 2 ssrm2 which has proven a fun design. All are running just the stock engine they came with.

As for the D, I just cant get over the use of XL, sure its fast but the zombie ability of the cent has given me some of my most amazing matches. Make a kill or 2 with ac20 and damage other mechs until they finial remove the arm (or I run out of ammo), then just clean up with the 2 ml's. And if A of AL the 2 ssrm2's. I just can't see putting that XL in my mech. Even in tabletop I was very picky what mechs had XL. Either FAST scouts where armor was speed or massive assaults that get to run a good speed but keep the armor (Templar for example). But medium and heavy I found can have respectable speed and firepower without the XL. Then in Tabletop I could put the BV into better pilots. Lucky for me they don't charge BV here for the pilot as I am getting good fast.

#19 skamage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm with you GT Hawk on XL engines. Every time I see a medium, I start in on the side torsos to get rid of weapons and heat sinks. If they have an XL then they pop faster.

#20 northwolf

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

I've been running my D with LRM20+Artemis and 2xML as a mini-cat, as it comes with the artemis upgrade... fast LRM support is kinda supprising :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users