52 replies to this topic

#21 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostNightcrept, on 07 December 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

I've fired the iranian versions. They could be worse. Just rememeber not to fire one in a closed building or with a wall behind you.

The Toophan?

#22 Nightcrept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

View PostHC Harlequin, on 07 December 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

The Toophan?

Saeghes

#23 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostNightcrept, on 07 December 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Saeghes

omaighered. How long ago?

#24 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostTempered, on 07 December 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

I have to agree that putting out any type of em radiation kind of defeats the whole stealth thing. ECM really should be broken down into different equipment and roles.

Inorite?

#25 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Around 03.

#26 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

View PostJalak Bali, on 07 December 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Next will you be telling us that putting legs on tanks is an impractical and silly real world application?

Ok for my next trick...

Take an A10.. ok.. don't take an A10, probably one of the single most perfect military machines ever created... But take the components of said machine. Take off the wings, Add in a gyro (thats a big heavy spinny thingy for the most of you), and some engineered joints, an engineered power train, robotic sensors and some geometric DU armor and there you go.. a mech with jump jets.

#27 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

OP, for the love of all that is good, just stop.

You're technically informed of communication technology, we get it.

Now, let us resume the GIANT, STOMPING, WALKING TANK ACTION!

#28 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

bu.. buh.. but.. A10.. A10 for the win

#29 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Anyone else?

#30 usr

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Disclaimer: colorful weapon-lasers mounted on legged tanks and autocannon that are hardly longer than 4 calibers have suspended my disbelief more than enough to not care about the pretend-physics of ECM, as long as the gameplay works out fine.

View PostTempered, on 07 December 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

I have to agree that putting out any type of em radiation kind of defeats the whole stealth thing.

Not if you are surrounded by lots of material to bounce a directed signal off. Usually, when we think of ECM we think of a sender alone in thin air, or maybe even space. There, anything you could send would light up the sender and little else.

But consider a laser-pointer in a dark room: do you see the guy holding the laser-pointer or the point where it is aimed at? Availability of bounce-off-surface sure can make a difference. Not on an "if there ever are walking tanks with fusion reactor cores and lasers, then this is exactly how ECM will work" level, but sure enough to keep that stupid disbelief suspended.

#31 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

View PostNonsense, on 07 December 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Did we really need a giant wall of unreadable text that has nothing to do with this game?

It was jammed by ECM.

#32 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

The only thing that really matters (although I enjoyed the OP's post) is the effect of what they call "ECM" in this game. Is it fine or is it OP and if so how should it be modified, along with possible counters such as BAP and TAG. The one thing I do agree with is that it can only fit on certain mechs, not too sure about the Atlas DDC though, but hey, it's their call.

#33 Gnuz

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFlag Bridge: JNS AWaitingGame

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

View Postusr, on 08 December 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

Disclaimer: colorful weapon-lasers mounted on legged tanks and autocannon that are hardly longer than 4 calibers have suspended my disbelief more than enough to not care about the pretend-physics of ECM, as long as the gameplay works out fine.

Not if you are surrounded by lots of material to bounce a directed signal off. Usually, when we think of ECM we think of a sender alone in thin air, or maybe even space. There, anything you could send would light up the sender and little else.

But consider a laser-pointer in a dark room: do you see the guy holding the laser-pointer or the point where it is aimed at? Availability of bounce-off-surface sure can make a difference. Not on an "if there ever are walking tanks with fusion reactor cores and lasers, then this is exactly how ECM will work" level, but sure enough to keep that stupid disbelief suspended.

QFT *makes post-it note to emphasize "suspension of disbelief" in House training doco*

#34 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

If I remember my fluff correctly, the reason behind the limited range of weapons and bad targeting in BT wasn't just that much technology was lost, it was also that the battlefield was filled with all kinds of jamming and counter-jamming. RF, IR, chaff, smoke, what have you, it was all there, and it was so effective you were basically down to the Mark I Eyeball to aim.

#35 Stardancer01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 353 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

if ECM is a general jamming device
how come friendly units and the carrier are immune?
how can it counter other ECM?
how does act as a clocking device when its pumping out so much energy?
missiles fired in or out of the bubble should do half damage
trying to lock in to or out of the bubble should take twice as long
locks on targets going out of sight should be lost if the unit is scanning into or out of the bubble

#36 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostStardancer01, on 08 December 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

if ECM is a general jamming device
how come friendly units and the carrier are immune?
how can it counter other ECM?
how does act as a clocking device when its pumping out so much energy?
missiles fired in or out of the bubble should do half damage
trying to lock in to or out of the bubble should take twice as long
locks on targets going out of sight should be lost if the unit is scanning into or out of the bubble

Ya.. if the electromagnetic field generated by this device is really 180m in radius you would be sitting in a microwave if you were close to it.
And if it's just doing multiband RF noise generation then how come it can interfere with an IR lazure?
And if it's really conducting any form of radar screening then why isn't the mech itself producing an easily seen but hard to track radar signature?

#37 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for the like btw

#38 Chacatumbi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Michigan

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I just can't beleive that more people dont see how ECM is too good... I'm assuming you havent run into premade 8s with 2 ravens and 6 DDC's... Well, if you play 8 mans, get used to it. Jenners are useless as a scout with ECM. Brawlers are useless while being jammed b/c you cant see enemies or friendlies. Not only does it shut down SSRM and LRM, it also causes huge team chaos. Making your oponents radar not work is ridulously good. So what is the counter? Both teams having all ECM... Hurray for variety.

#39 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostChacatumbi, on 09 December 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

I just can't beleive that more people dont see how ECM is too good... I'm assuming you havent run into premade 8s with 2 ravens and 6 DDC's... Well, if you play 8 mans, get used to it. Jenners are useless as a scout with ECM. Brawlers are useless while being jammed b/c you cant see enemies or friendlies. Not only does it shut down SSRM and LRM, it also causes huge team chaos. Making your oponents radar not work is ridulously good. So what is the counter? Both teams having all ECM... Hurray for variety.

People are looking for a weight limit. all that is going to do is make it Atlas DDC/Raven to match

#40 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

people are now saying that ECM is reinforcing the lagshield

lolz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users